Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 10:33:26 PM EDT
Oh boy...  LOL!!!!

1/ I need the big 385XP Husky chain saw in the mtns to cut some big tree trunks... Been about since 1994 when I bought it new and used it a few times that year, left fuel in it and it's never been started since abt 1994 or 5 and never had snake oil Feelz Good Security Blankie mineral oil crap in it.

2/ And---- 2 weeks ago at the Thrift Store my SO scored when she saw a little Husky 36 for $12 dollars. She had it her hand and some Hispanic told her she shouldn't buy because parts weren't available.

lol

Before I even saw it I got on ebay and ordered a carb and fuel system rebuild kit for $14 that I didn't need.

It had fuel and oil in it and started it up OK before taking it to the mtn to cut some trees. When I got it here I started it again and realized it had no throttle control, the small wire link from the 'trigger' to the throttle was loose, so I figgered out where it was supposed to go and in abt 3 minutes it was running fine and has been resharpened once.

It's easy to start and is fine for small stuff, so I'd say good score.

Now to the beast of a saw...  Decades ago I took off the bar and chain and today took it to the mtn. Tried to pull the cord and there's a LOT of compression and the cord wouldn't retract.  Took the starter cover off [excellently designed for service] sprayed some WD-40  on the pawls and put back together and retracted fine.

Then put some fuel in from that milk jug I mixed a few weeks ago and that's been sitting out in the rain a few times.

Looked in the fuel tank and at the filter and fuel line, it was oily inside but no debris and line was like new.

Choked it, pulled about 7 times and it kicked over, played with throttle and choke settings for about 8 more hard pulls and it started.

Took it outside exercised it carefully, checked higher and idle speed and it's running in the picture below.

NO SNAKE OIL

LOL!!!!

Nope--- I can't say I put snake oil in it 20 years ago and it started just fine...

But it DID notwithstanding!!!!

Pictures before I put the bar and chain on......

Idling like a mountain lion...

Back inside and ready to put chain on. Thrift Store score to the right...

Lot's of spares for both.  Looking on ebay at the big one, prices for well used ones are about what I paid new in 1994 or so, IIRC, $850 + spares.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the nice thing about two strokes.  As long as you have fuel and spark they are probably going to run!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any chainsaw for $12. Hell the parts are worth more than that.

But you gotta get a Stihl- and of course some SNAKE OIL to go with it!!
View Quote
LOL!!!  YEP!!!

Anyhow, I finally got to cut up a lot of trees we removed in the last month or two and some were fairly large in diameter at least for our trees.

I used the big 385XP and with it what took 2 hours would have taken all day with the smaller saws -I think...

Trouble I'm having with the 385 is that the oiler doesn't seem to be working so I used an oil can with bar oil in iT and squirted some oil on the saw every few minutes.

But when I looked in the oil tank later, a lot of oil appeared to have been used, but I didn't see evidence that chain was being lubed.

Watched some videos of the chain oiler mechanism so have a bit of understanding there... I also tried various settings of the oil regulator.

Maybe I'll pull the chain off today, run the saw and see if any oil comes out.  The reservoir is clean and the saw is essentially new.

Was thinking abt selling it but after seeing how fast it cuts stuff, I think I will keep it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I love me some pro grade Husky goodness!  My favorite is the 346.  All my buddies buy new Stihls, wear them out after a few years of hard work, and then buy new ones.  The whole time they’re making fun of my old 346 and 372.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Please don’t get ride of it, worse case you need a new Oiler, but more than likely it’s just the worm gear.  Both can be replaced easily for under $50 and watching a YouTube video.  

Quoted:

LOL!!!  YEP!!!

Anyhow, I finally got to cut up a lot of trees we removed in the last month or two and some were fairly large in diameter at least for our trees.

I used the big 385XP and with it what took 2 hours would have taken all day with the smaller saws -I think...

Trouble I'm having with the 385 is that the oiler doesn't seem to be working so I used an oil can with bar oil in iT and squirted some oil on the saw every few minutes.

But when I looked in the oil tank later, a lot of oil appeared to have been used, but I didn't see evidence that chain was being lubed.

Watched some videos of the chain oiler mechanism so have a bit of understanding there... I also tried various settings of the oil regulator.

Maybe I'll pull the chain off today, run the saw and see if any oil comes out.  The reservoir is clean and the saw is essentially new.

Was thinking abt selling it but after seeing how fast it cuts stuff, I think I will keep it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have about seven chainsaws and NO trees to use them on!  I would still buy one for $12.00 to sell for parts!

Maybe I should sell some of mine that I have absolutely zero use for?

Bill
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have about seven chainsaws and NO trees to use them on!  I would still buy one for $12.00 to sell for parts!

Maybe I should sell some of mine that I have absolutely zero use for?

Bill
View Quote
That's a good question in general...

Should we liquidate and turn to cash things we haven't any more use for?

Timing?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Try this with your chainsaw!

Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Try this with your chainsaw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZSmjxBLIc
View Quote
Just don't make laps, you will slowly run a hole into the track!  Although it could be funny...

Bill
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Pssssst..........
In 1994 gasoline didn’t have ethanol in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top