Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 7:51:16 PM EDT
We've been using bug zappers for decades, have learned to repair them, change UV lamps to different styles, put them on timers in buildings to extend life and still get the job done.

In the past year or so, I've posted about imported zappers like the picture below.

We've bought a lot now and use them everywhere. Outside to kill moths that may become Pine Beetle Borers, and draw general nuisance bugs away from coming into the container at night, and inside the container and barn room to clear them when flying bugs come in.

For example, sometimes annoying big fly's come into my barn lab, zoom around and all I do is turn all the lights out and ZAP!

Problem solved.

Power requirements are minimal and we run typically 4 on solar much of the time.

Millions of ways to creatively use them, like zap bears' noses when they snoop around.

Best $$ are on ebay. There are 2 similar models, I like the one posted best. Cost ~ $35 or so.  A hell of a bargain for what they solve!

[Does anyone need a small vibrant pet bear...]

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, I take out the screen from the side opposite the zapping electrodes so the bugs don't have to try so hard to get zapped...

Or the bears....

Or me...

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Do those units require lure?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do those units require lure?
View Quote
The UV is the lure and works VERY well...

Not as much on skeeters but most everything else.

If you put a bit of CO2 around the zapper, it would attract them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool
I have thought that putting one in the chicken run could provide feed for the birds.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have read about tests that show the bloodsucker insects are not attracted to the lights of these zappers. The bugs that you hear getting zapped are not the bugs that feed on you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have read about tests that show the bloodsucker insects are not attracted to the lights of these zappers. The bugs that you hear getting zapped are not the bugs that feed on you.
View Quote
the old ones dont, but they have scent lures that go in them now for skeeters
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Expy do you have an independent solar setup for these?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Expy do you have an independent solar setup for these?
View Quote
We have the substantial solar/battery setup in the barn and a smaller setup in the container. Each has an inverter to power 120vac devices.

We set these zappers out as needed and typically run one via an extension cord all day and night abt 20 feet from the container to redirect bugs away from the sliding door so they don't get in.

We'll run a zapper as necessary inside the container and barn/inside room to purge insects and annoying flies that like to walk around on our faces when we sleep and generally zoom around.

Works well...

I've been thinking about putting some out among the trees to kill the moth stage of Pine Borer Beetles ----and running one on solar at night is a good idea. Sort of like a solar powered walkway light we use on the path between the container and barn.

Several technical ways to approach this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
We use a zapper indoors and fly traps outside. Drastically cuts down the number of flies and moths that get in (hard to avoid with dogs and people going in and out).
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We use a zapper indoors and fly traps outside. Drastically cuts down the number of flies and moths that get in (hard to avoid with dogs and people going in and out).
View Quote
The smelly plastic bag fly traps they sell in H-D etc, for abt $6 are worth their weight in gold and sure do tremendously  reduce the fly population.

The bears love to climb the trees and steal them  

Get's sort of $$
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#11]
These zappers are on eBay and ought be getting a pretty good $$$ now...

There's 2 or 3 different models, we like one of them a lot better than the rest.

They've been working great!

If bugs get into the container at night, we turn one on inside for a little bit and it clears the house!

We use one outside for a 'fatal funnel' kill zone so very few get into the container.

Also, I think they will attract Pine Bark Borer Beetles in the moth stage and reduce their population.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had a couple of Aspectek zappers (very similar to the "Hoont" model} running almost non-stop for several years now.

Aside from one of them needing a new set of bulbs, they've been flawless.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had a couple of Aspectek zappers (very similar to the "Hoont" model} running almost non-stop for several years now.

Aside from one of them needing a new set of bulbs, they've been flawless.
View Quote
I've got one sitting here on my desk in the shipping container.

It's the preferred one of the similar zappers.

They seem to dissipate less heat than the other brand we bought some of, and that's important for running off solar.

We even leave them outside in the rain but unplug them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top