Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 10:08:16 AM EDT
I got into modding nerf guns with my son and I have a few of these. Very awesome, very powerful  in a small package.

I bought a few x60 connectors and have made some conversion cords with USBs but want to do more.

I was thinking LED lights, small fans, comfort items when the power is out.

basically standalone power you can transport easily that last a long time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I like using the high capacity light weight rechargeable lithium power tool batteries for other uses.

Also, on a different note -we have a Farber Hreight rechargeable grease gun from about 10+ years ago and can't find a battery.

So 2 years ago, I took about 10 feet of 14 gauge extension cord, soldered one end to the tool terminals, the other end to red and black clips and use it with a small 12v Concorde AGM battery and it works great.

I modified some of the latest LED 120vac lights last week, they are amazing and took some pictures to do a topic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got into modding nerf guns with my son and I have a few of these. Very awesome, very powerful  in a small package.

I bought a few x60 connectors and have made some conversion cords with USBs but want to do more.

I was thinking LED lights, small fans, comfort items when the power is out.

basically standalone power you can transport easily that last a long time.
View Quote

I have rechargeable NiMH batteries, 12vdc SLA/AGM batteries and li-ion cells for all sorts of things and used them a lot in Miami for IRMA last week.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Everything I used is standardized on AA batteries, but I do have and use a Makita USB adapter for their lipo
packs (I have a lot of large Makita lipos for my tools.) This makes it easy to charge anything with a USB port
on it, phones etc, when the power it out.

On top of this I have a large (100AH+) SLA for my ham station that's wired into the DC distribution block
that runs AA chargers, in addition to the radios. But that's not nearly so portable as the Makita unit is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I modified some of the latest LED 120vac lights last week, they are amazing and took some pictures to do a topic.
View Quote
what voltage did you use?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Everything I used is standardized on AA batteries, .
View Quote
I have modded some pieces of wood to run in the aa slot, with lipos-amazing performance
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

what voltage did you use?
View Quote
So far I haven't examined the internal LED driver or checked how the leds could be driven by cutting traces and reconfiguring. Tested w/ 120vac.

On the tall slender newish form factor lamps, I wrapped them [60 and 100 watt equivalent] in a rag and put into a vise and squeezed them until the outer diffuser cracked.

Then I pulled the diffusers [that are retained by some molded clips] and the led array that was revealed was a flat round disk with two 'header pins' sticking out , presumably for testing.

The emitter assemblies are very bright. I plan to use them over my various lab benches to replace the MR16 track lights I modified in a similar way and have worked well...

It's nice to have good light to work by.

I need to start another LED lighting topic, lot's to share.

The new LED lights open a whole world for improvisation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The new LED lights open a whole world for improvisation.
View Quote
they certainly cut down on light used per watts used. I will only use them vs incandescent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top