Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2017 7:58:48 PM EDT
I was planning on digging into this in the fall but Irma changed that a bit.  I think we've got a pretty good handle on a shelter in place supply list and now it's time to stock up.  Where is the best place online to order MRE's?  Any place that we should stay away from?

Edited to add what was recommended:
MREdepot.com
TheEpicenter.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking for food to bug out with or shelter in place without power/water?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Shelter in place food primarily.  We're far enough inland that we're not in an evacuation zone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I would stay away from MREs unless you actually have eaten and like them.  Storing and rotating shelf stable stuff you eat and like is a better idea.  Canned tuna, canned fruit, peanut butter, pop tarts, whatever.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]
We have no problem with MRE's and rotating them into our diet to get rid of old stock and replace with new isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a few cases of MREs years ago and would eat them on a regular basis. I never got used to them and have shifted all of my emergency food to Mountain house. The Mountain house pouches are very convenient and there is a great variety. If you have water and a stove (gas/propane..) you are good to go. Amazon will have a sale periodically on their buckets.

When I have purchased MREs, I have usually got them from www.mredepot.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
In the last 2 months I was able to order 6 14day mountain house boxes from walmart.com for a steal! First two were $75 a box and the second order was 4 at $59 a box. I dont know what it is about sometimes it it drops in price but I was happy to buy it!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
MREdepot.com

I've used them several times.  The kids love MREs when we do stuff outdoors.  Get some canned bacon while your at it.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
theepicenter.com

They do taste-test reviews, give you the dates of the MREs they are selling, and ship same day.

I've been very happy with them. Their stock changes a lot so it's worth checking on them periodically.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
theepicenter.com

They do taste-test reviews, give you the dates of the MREs they are selling, and ship same day.

I've been very happy with them. Their stock changes a lot so it's worth checking on them periodically.
View Quote
Had GREAT luck with these guys.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you GODAWGS, Macumazahn, seek2, and researchanddestroy.  I've used Mountain House backpacking before and thought about going with their stuff.  But we're still under a boil order from the county after Irma so I'd rather go with MRE's.  Trying to go with the worst case scenario of we're out of propane and there's no potable water.  I'd rather keep the filters for drinking water if it comes to that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#11]
my question for anyone, is what's the sodium difference between the average MH and MRE ? I've looked at MH for camping stuff but I get turned off by the amount of sodium in the meals, especially if you're going to be eating them for an extended time, it can affect the body.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was initially shopping for MRE's I saw that someone makes low sodium versions.  I think I saw them on Ebay?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]
A thought about hurricane supplies...

Our experience was not to STORE LONG TERM hurricane foods ----but instead, if there is a threat of a hurricane appearing, to think ahead of the Sheeple and to purchase foods that are more usual, digestible and palatable, AT THAT TIME, and stock 2+ weeks worth.

As far as going nuts over "Bottled Water"--- we have filters, and trash cans, etc.,  that can be lined with trash bags, rain water can be collected by definition, and keep the means to make water supplies PORTABLE, in various small containers. We also have some bottled water.

5 and 2 1/2 gallon recyclable water cooler bottles are cheap and can also be used to transport/store certain fuels in a pinch. There are expedient ways for robust caps off the shelf most anywhere and inexpensive.

So can orange Jesus Homer Buckets.

5 gallon metal pails with secure caps are available from most any bulk fuel/oil distributor for ~$7 each.

Yet- with all these possibilities, Sheeple and Tacticool Preppers -will usually be behind the 8 Ball.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#14]
We got to the grocery store ASAP when it was obvious that Irma was going to hit Florida.  And the shelves were all but bare when it came to foods we could keep for a couple weeks without refrigeration.  We managed to get a few days worth and dipped into my brother's supply.  We're not doing that again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We got to the grocery store ASAP when it was obvious that Irma was going to hit Florida.  And the shelves were all but bare when it came to foods we could keep for a couple weeks without refrigeration.  We managed to get a few days worth and dipped into my brother's supply.  We're not doing that again.
View Quote
Sounds like you were thinking at the same speed -or slower- than the Sheeple...

Need to fix that...

First...
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, we did just move to Florida.  The best comparison to where we used to live would be when a winter storm was on the way.  Grocery store shelves would only bare down a bit, never empty.  We'll adapt!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have no problem with MRE's and rotating them into our diet to get rid of old stock and replace with new isn't an issue.
View Quote
How much actual long term experience does each member of your family have with MRE consumption as your primary food source?
You'll need the real MREs, not the after-market ones that skimp on contents and have no MRE heater included.
Try to limit yourself to one MRE a day and have other stuff to prepare and eat. That'll prevent burning out on MREs prematurely.
It seems like standard military issue MRE cases are running around $110 retail; less on Ebay.
How many cases were you looking at buying?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
my question for anyone, is what's the sodium difference between the average MH and MRE ? I've looked at MH for camping stuff but I get turned off by the amount of sodium in the meals, especially if you're going to be eating them for an extended time, it can affect the body.
View Quote
One more reason theepicenter rocks: Mountain house nutrition labels

Most meals are 700-900mg of sodium.

The Combat Ration Database gives the same details for MREs.

Some of which are insanely high sodium (we're talking 2000-3000mg per meal). I'm sure they're assuming people will be sweating it out,
but that's just unacceptably high outside of short term use.

This along with food allergies is why I've been transitioning my stores to conventional foods with rotation. That, and throwing $3-4K down
the drain every 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A thought about hurricane supplies...

Our experience was not to STORE LONG TERM hurricane foods ----but instead, if there is a threat of a hurricane appearing, to think ahead of the Sheeple and to purchase foods that are more usual, digestible and palatable, AT THAT TIME, and stock 2+ weeks worth.

As far as going nuts over "Bottled Water"--- we have filters, and trash cans, etc.,  that can be lined with trash bags, rain water can be collected by definition, and keep the means to make water supplies PORTABLE, in various small containers. We also have some bottled water.

5 and 2 1/2 gallon recyclable water cooler bottles are cheap and can also be used to transport/store certain fuels in a pinch. There are expedient ways for robust caps off the shelf most anywhere and inexpensive.

So can orange Jesus Homer Buckets.

5 gallon metal pails with secure caps are available from most any bulk fuel/oil distributor for ~$7 each.

Yet- with all these possibilities, Sheeple and Tacticool Preppers -will usually be behind the 8 Ball.
View Quote
You can find stacks of clean, ready to use food grade buckets with lids all day long at any stand alone mom and pop bake shop for $2-2.50 per bucket and lid. They are mostly 4.5-5 gallon frosting or doughnut filling buckets the price can't be beat and it's a quick way to store potable water or other preps in large quantities on the cheap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well you know now, but once it is obvious it is way too late.  For example, when everyone was talking about Irma hitting Florida, I'm making sure I'm good to go in NY if it comes up here.  If you stock up on stuff you'll eat anyway, it's not a big deal if you buy early and the storm doesn't hit.  You have an extra jar of peanut butter or some extra canned corn, not a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I once saw a commercial MRE that included flex-packs of water. Does anyone know what brand that is and where I could buy some?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I once saw a commercial MRE that included flex-packs of water. Does anyone know what brand that is and where I could buy some?
View Quote
Epicenter carries mainstay packets and a new one I've nevered heard of called Blue Can.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
MH has a $50.00 on the 14 day kits/

https://www.mountainhouse.com/pdf/14DayKitRebateForm.pdf
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the last 2 months I was able to order 6 14day mountain house boxes from walmart.com for a steal! First two were $75 a box and the second order was 4 at $59 a box. I dont know what it is about sometimes it it drops in price but I was happy to buy it!
MH has a $50.00 on the 14 day kits/

https://www.mountainhouse.com/pdf/14DayKitRebateForm.pdf
Freaking sweet!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
My issue with the civilian MRE market is that they have too little variety.  These things have been around for long enough.  Civilian marketed MREs should have at least 3 dozen meals broken down into 3 different assortments with 12 per box.

OK...rant off.

I get that in an emergency food is food and you will not really have much to complain about since you are actually eating.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My issue with the civilian MRE market is that they have too little variety.  These things have been around for long enough.  Civilian marketed MREs should have at least 3 dozen meals broken down into 3 different assortments with 12 per box.

OK...rant off.

I get that in an emergency food is food and you will not really have much to complain about since you are actually eating.
View Quote
The solution for that is to buy the individual entrees and sides with a variety of items you like, then build them into meals you like as you use them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:04:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OK...rant off.

View Quote
Don't they generally reflect the current menus available in military MREs? It would be great if the military MRE menu had more diversity and the older menu items were retained while new menu items were added.
Maybe some of the older military menu choices could remain in production for the civilian market if demand was adequate.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Armygear.net is a good one also
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Best thing we did years ago thanks to SF was get a vac packer, dehydrator and a slicer as well as a smoker. Plus get put on to youtube channels like yankee prepper (I think hes gone now) and hungry hammock hanger among others.  Yes we have some MREs. Mountain house give me severe gastrointestinal distress I also make, dehydrate and vac pack items for preps as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
theepicenter.com

View Quote
I love the epicenter.  Very good product and incredible customer service.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
theepicenter.com

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
theepicenter.com

Another positive review from me on theepicenter.com. Great variety which changes, good reviews, specified age/dates, and they have lots of sales.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is there a way to track price drops at walmart?

@gabeowp
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Out of curiosity I searched for "MRE" on Amazon and they carry a lot of variations (not surprising.) They also carry several foreign MREs, e.g., from South Korea, Russia, and Kazakhstan.

Who's braze enough to try the ones from Kazakhstan? 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't see it mentioned, but how are you filtering water?

Even with MREs, you should have some way to filter rain, pond, or even puddle water for drinking.  Boiling kills microorganisms, but doesn't remove particulates, and boiling water for drinking isn't efficient (and who wants to drink hot/warm water in FL?).
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@gabeowp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@gabeowp
No I just downloaded the app, it shows out of stock but Id add it to "my list" (really jist a shortcut to the item) and I would check back once or so a day. When I did catch them "in stock" and I placed my order tbey would be out of stock within 2-6hrs again. I actually last week ordered another 4 at $52 a 14day case. So i have ten 14day cases now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Even with MREs, you should have some way to filter rain, pond, or even puddle water for drinking.  Boiling kills microorganisms, but doesn't remove particulates, and boiling water for drinking isn't efficient (and who wants to drink hot/warm water in FL?).
View Quote
I’ve got a good sized filter for that and on the advice of a buddy from here we’ve got a 100 gal. bath tub bladder we can fill prior to a tropical storm’s arrival.  That’s not counting all the canteens, coolers, hydration packs, and beer kegs (CO2 pressurized) we can fill with potable water.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’ve got a good sized filter for that and on the advice of a buddy from here we’ve got a 100 gal. bath tub bladder we can fill prior to a tropical storm’s arrival.  That’s not counting all the canteens, coolers, hydration packs, and beer kegs (CO2 pressurized) we can fill with potable water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case I would suggest a couple/three weeks worth of freeze-dried food, then MREs in case it gets really bad (last resort).  No point in suffering if you don't need to.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In that case I would suggest a couple/three weeks worth of freeze-dried food, then MREs in case it gets really bad (last resort).  No point in suffering if you don't need to.  
View Quote
The MRE's will end up being last resort food.  We're going to make better use of our vacuum sealer, she's going to start doing canning again, and we're going to keep a longer supply of food on the shelves as well as hit the stores to stock up as soon as there's a storm approaching.  We're also headed back at Christmas to pick up the generator I left with my brother.

We weren't caught completely with our pants down on Irma.  A couple weeks or a little longer would have been manageable if Irma had done more damage.  But we definitely learned a lesson 3 months after moving from Tennessee.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I've had good luck buying them by the case on Amazon.

Sorta weird to buy .mil MREs there after years of not being able to. Not sure what changed but I'm not complaining

Competitive pricing and free shipping with prime.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I don’t know what part of the state you are in, but once everything calmed down and power came back craigslist was loaded with cases from $15 to 30 ea. Along with shutter and generators and anything else you might need.. they don’t learn.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don’t know what part of the state you are in, but once everything calmed down and power came back craigslist was loaded with cases from $15 to 30 ea. Along with shutter and generators and anything else you might need.. they don’t learn.
View Quote
Tampa.  I wouldn't have even thought of looking there.  Why buy supplies like that and then get rid of them after Irma is done?  That just isn't logical.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Tampa.  I wouldn't have even thought of looking there.  Why buy supplies like that and then get rid of them after Irma is done?  That just isn't logical.
View Quote
The same thing happens after every major event. They figure they lived through one event, and the odds of a second event affecting them is in their minds very small....
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#44]
They didn’t buy them Fema gave them out by the tractor trailer load.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The same thing happens after every major event. They figure they lived through one event, and the odds of a second event affecting them is in their minds very small....
View Quote
this too.  Tons of half price generators
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity I searched for "MRE" on Amazon and they carry a lot of variations (not surprising.) They also carry several foreign MREs, e.g., from South Korea, Russia, and Kazakhstan.

Who's braze enough to try the ones from Kazakhstan? 
View Quote
Guys on youtube.

Steve1989 (nice!)  will eat almost anything.

He has opened pkgs from WW2 (K rations) to C rats of Korea and Vietnam. And MREs from all over the world.

You gotta go find the one where the pears looked exactly like little black lumps of coal !!

Gundog actually ate the four fingers of death from a 1980s mre.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#47]
one idea when from when I lived in Florida. Don't stock up on food when you're sure the storm is going to hit, stock up on some perishables BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS. hurricane season is a few months long, so buy extra peanut butter, protein powder, water, rum, whatever. when the season is over around now start putting the stuff back into your shelf and repeats yearly. This way you have things you may want/need and you don't need to worry about 15 year shelf life or eating crap you don't like. That said, I do still have Mountain House emergency buckets for just in case.

one thing I always stocked is protein powder. Not body builder stuff, but just the general you can get at a health food store. stores well, already freeze dried, comes with vitamins and minerals, and you can mix with almost anything. Sure it might not taste like momma's home cooking, but 2 scoops of that and some peanut butter is a shit ton of protein, calories, minerals, etc, and really easy to make without power.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
one idea when from when I lived in Florida. Don't stock up on food when you're sure the storm is going to hit, stock up on some perishables BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS. hurricane season is a few months long, so buy extra peanut butter, protein powder, water, rum, whatever. when the season is over around now start putting the stuff back into your shelf and repeats yearly. This way you have things you may want/need and you don't need to worry about 15 year shelf life or eating crap you don't like. That said, I do still have Mountain House emergency buckets for just in case.

one thing I always stocked is protein powder. Not body builder stuff, but just the general you can get at a health food store. stores well, already freeze dried, comes with vitamins and minerals, and you can mix with almost anything. Sure it might not taste like momma's home cooking, but 2 scoops of that and some peanut butter is a shit ton of protein, calories, minerals, etc, and really easy to make without power.
View Quote
Was going to say this. Pack your pantry full over the off season, store it through the hurricane season. Eat through the excess after it's over and restock with fresh stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think for some people it's like hunting season preps.
I'm into that time of year where people are calling me up wanting me to order XYZ product for them. Of course it's not in stock now anywhere...despite being in stock all year long. Same thing happens every hunting season.
I would understand if it was the hunting equivalent of the latest greatest product, but in some cases they're asking for basic stuff that they could have planned ahead and bought any time of the year
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top