Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 8:52:07 AM EDT
I know it lasts for years when stored correctly, but was wondering what's been people's experience out there.
Stores in a well sealed, metal can, whats the oldest diesel you've ever used?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember back in the 70's my dad would tear down an old house and if it had a home heating oil tank, He would pump it into his equipment to use.
It would be the a very nasty color compared to other diesel fuel. But it would burn fine in his old equipment.
This of course was the old sulphur fuel and my guess was it was at least 15 years old or more.
Back then also home heating oil and diesel was no difference.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to ask my cousin, but I believe his family farm has a tank they pull from that was last filled around 1990.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll have to ask my cousin, but I believe his family farm has a tank they pull from that was last filled around 1990.
View Quote
He said the last batch was about 20 years old when they finished it, and the current batch is about 15+.  No problems encountered .
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Just had a Kubota ZD21 come in thats been sitting for three years with the same fuel in it.  We started to drain and replenish the fuel tanks and thought we'd experiment and just try it.  It is running fine with the old fuel!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used diesel that was roughly 15yr old.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used diesel that was roughly 15yr old.
View Quote
Me too. Old heating oil.  Ran fine in the tractor.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Nearly 20 year old fuel in an old Mack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top