Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2017 6:11:00 AM EDT
So it's not something people haven't considered before... but the disadvantages of having the noise of a generator letting your neighbors all know that YOU HAVE power, refrigeration, fuel, etc....

Has anyone else had it draw neighbors or family to ask for something?

Sure enough we had a short power outage last year and some family about a mile away asking to use one of our generators for their freezers.

and sure enough, they treated it like crap. Running it all day, running it out of fuel, trying to leave it out in the rain. Etc.

If it had been SHTF, they would have been asking for far more.

Family started considering ways to nearly silence the generators. All the way to mufflers and sound proofed as much as practical boxes, or even dirt sound proofing burms with a roof. Venting for intake and muffled exhaust.

Any similar stories? Or anyone done anything for this reason?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
All my neighbors have generators, so generally I'm not concerned.

I do keep a cheap generator as a loaner though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Honda EU2000i is the quietest generator I've ever used.  I also have a 7500 watt Costco brand with a Honda engine that is louder but not terribly so.  Ideally you would use your generator during the day when it would attract less attention and you had better visibility/security to charge batteries that would carry you through the night providing silent power. I haven't gotten to this stage yet so I can't comment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a NG-fired backup generator.  It has its own enclosure, and is behind a wooden board-on-board fence... also buffered by vegetation.

All of that diffuses the sound somewhat.  You can tell something is running, but not exactly where it's coming from among the several houses on my street.  

Of course, the fact that my oblivious children leave EVERY LIGHT IN THE HOUSE TURNED ON (so that you can practically see my house from the International Space Station) doesn't exactly contribute to the stealth.

I would think that out in the country, you'd have to work VERY hard to silence a generator... if only because there isn't nearly the background noise out there to help it blend in.
View Quote
Its quiet whereI live ...but I have a few acres to help buffer that sound as well.  I also have one of those long driveways that make you think twice about coming up to my house..
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Punji sticks and claymores would make good mufflers I would imagine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Down here they'll come at night and pull your lawn mower out of your shed and fire it up with the safety bar taped down and steal the generator...you never hear a thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Offer to cook your neighbors food for them before it spoils.  Make it a block party.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Punji sticks and claymores would make good mufflers I would imagine.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
most aftermarket mower mufflers suck, you can get tractor mufflers and use 3/4 or 1" black pipe to attach, you will need to support thm becuase the vibrations and weight will kill the threads on your block

the best thing it to build a simple "quiet box", 4 sides with top,

basic siding with a layer of glass fiber insulation held with chicken wire or the like
If you want it perfectly soundproof, you will need to build a oversized bottom, leave a gap for air and do the same for the top, if you leave 6" formt he genny it will keep cool

this is one for my a/c next to the porch

If you put a genny inside one, you can stand next to it and talk.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Years ago a guy on my street had the only genny around during a windstorm that knocked out power.
    Someone got his lawnmower out, tied a rag on thge bar to keep in running and cut his genny chain and swiped it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Back when I lived in rural CT (yes, such a thing exists), my neighbors scoffed at me for buying a generator.  "Oh, we haven't had a power outage in well over 10 years."  Well, a nasty ice storm rolled in back in December of 2003.  Power was out for 5 days.  Most of my neighbors had to leave their homes for hotels, relatives, etc., or were huddled around the fireplace freezing their asses off.  As far as my young kids knew, life went on like normal.  Ran the generator 24/7, and I actually turned on ALL of my outside lights, just to piss off my neighbors.  I did offer our house as shelter or at least for hot showers, but no one accepted.  Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I figured if a SHTF and I need to run the genny, I will be guarding it as well.

We have a small shed attached to the garage which is a detached garage, we have an exhaust fan and an intake vent. I was considering some extended muffler but never completed it.

All my neighbors now have gennies since the last outage that lasted a week.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Back when I lived in rural CT (yes, such a thing exists), my neighbors scoffed at me for buying a generator.  "Oh, we haven't had a power outage in well over 10 years."  Well, a nasty ice storm rolled in back in December of 2003 2016.  Power was out for 5 7 days.  Most of my neighbors had to leave their homes for hotels, relatives, etc., or were huddled around the fireplace freezing their asses off.  As far as my young kids knew, life went on like normal.  Ran the generator 24/7, and I actually turned on ALL of my outside lights, just to piss off my neighbors.  I did offer our house as shelter or at least for hot showers, but no one accepted.  Fuck 'em.
View Quote
That was our exact reaction when they asked why I had a trench to the garage from the house.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
most aftermarket mower mufflers suck, you can get tractor mufflers and use 3/4 or 1" black pipe to attach, you will need to support thm becuase the vibrations and weight will kill the threads on your block

basic siding with a layer of glass fiber insulation held with chicken wire or the like
If you want it perfectly soundproof, you will need to build a oversized bottom, leave a gap for air and do the same for the top, if you leave 6" formt he genny it will keep cool

https://i.imgur.com/Bw4OWSp.jpg

View Quote
If you don't want to build one yourself: Zombie Box
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Years ago a guy on my street had the only genny around during a windstorm that knocked out power.
    Someone got his lawnmower out, tied a rag on thge bar to keep in running and cut his genny chain and swiped it.
View Quote
That's some "raiders of the lost ark" type ingenuity right there
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Bw4OWSp.jpg

Holy carp. $1200 and higher. Great idea and looks good though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#17]
i'm currently in th market for a generator but for the reasons you mentioned i'm saving for the honda 2000 . my dad has one and it's awesome. if i had to sound proof another one i'd probably buy this and build a box, probably ad me acoustic panels behind it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the 9k champion fuel fuel generator. Loud as I've ever heard a generator be. We used it for a party where we had 3 campers running on it. I put it by the field, about 15 feet from the campers and made a semicircle 3 hay bales high around it. Could barely hear it on our side, needed ear pro on the other.

After the party weekend I fed the hay to the cows.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have the 9k champion fuel fuel generator. Loud as I've ever heard a generator be. We used it for a party where we had 3 campers running on it. I put it by the field, about 15 feet from the campers and made a semicircle 3 hay bales high around it. Could barely hear it on our side, needed ear pro on the other.

After the party weekend I fed the hay to the cows.
View Quote
That's a good idea! I set my generator at the back walk through door just inside my garage, exhaust pointed out. Bales stacked on the steps would not only quiet it but also obscure it a bit. It is a dual fuel NG without quick connect fittings tethering it in place and it won't go through the door without disassembly, so it wouldn't be easily absconded with. But it is loud.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Play on youtube.  They show with decibel meter that most of the noise is from the engine itself.  Adding a muffler does not solve all issues.

The box and redirecting noise upwards works best.

As already mentioned, smells of food and light at night will cause folks to ask questions as well.

My concept is to run stuff during the day.  Use ac to cool off the bedroom in the evening.

A battery powered fan will keep air moving at night and I will shut everything down at night and lock it up.

Having a big ol dog out by the generator would also help somewhat.

To some extent I don't mind helping people.  My issue is what happens if they kill your generator?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Play on youtube.  They show with decibel meter that most of the noise is from the engine itself.  Adding a muffler does not solve all issues.

The box and redirecting noise upwards works best.

As already mentioned, smells of food and light at night will cause folks to ask questions as well.

My concept is to run stuff during the day.  Use ac to cool off the bedroom in the evening.

A battery powered fan will keep air moving at night and I will shut everything down at night and lock it up.

Having a big ol dog out by the generator would also help somewhat.

To some extent I don't mind helping people.  My issue is what happens if they kill your generator?
View Quote
Yup. If I was in a situation like this (concerned about scavengers)...I would not operate the house lights.  Sure...it might be an inconvenience to use a lantern or flashlight, but it would beat advertising to everyone around that you have a generator.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I recently used flood lights beaming out from the genny and lighting all access points. I figure, the lights are a great psychological deterrent. Cockroaches don't want to get lit up as they approach, and they don't know who's watching from inside the house.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I used an old Kawasaki during Irene and it is so loud I'd almost rather not have power.  After that I bought a Honda 2000 and it was great during Sandy.  I'm on a 60 by 100 lot, and with it in the backyard you can't hear it from the base of my driveway.  Much more pleasant and better opsec.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#25]
A couple of deep cycle batts and a good invertor will keep things going while the gen is down. I have a 4k trace invertor that will charge the batts when the gen is running. I like the old school trojan 6vdc batteries. even a pair of them will have 400ah of power. A pair of T-105's can give 25 amps for 13hrs

I am in the process of building a medium size solar and wind gen with gen back up. The base specs are 1kw of panels, 1.6kw of turbine power with eight 6vdc trojans. storing 1760ah (20hr rating) of power. I can run my home (minus AC) for 2.3 days with no sun or wind on a full charge. The panels will fold up and the turbine mast will fold down for transport or high winds. I may make some sort of steel cover for the panels to protect from wind driven damage as I get there.

NO SOUND!! No oil, no gas, very little maintenance during a crisis. Hard to loan out as it's on a trailer. OK, it's heavy and bulky for a 4k gen but has some long term potential.

WSS
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been contemplating this as well.
I have a box that used to cover the well motor here .
It's three ft or so high,four ft long and 3 wide.
It's metal insulated panels. Two inches thick.
I've thought of cutting in a roof event and brings on the sides down low.
Just set it over the generator.

Or

Just cut open one side to SIM the sound out.

We set the gen on a slab outside our back door of the utility room.
Cant hear it from the road but behind the house you can.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Our 7550 Generac is loud as hell.  Hopefully, I will not need it.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#29]
It can be done. Just look at noise isolating enclosures on commercial generators and air compressors. Any generator will require sufficient cooling. An enclosure will need to have a fan with several noise cutting baffles that will deliver enough airflow for cooling.
Also long elevated vertical exhaust pipes will disperse sound a lot better than horizontal pipes. A very effective but crude and simple exhaust system can be built by simply placing the exhaust pipe into a small barrel filled with water.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I ran across a tail-gater at the Clemson/
Kent State game last week that was running
a Honda EU2000, and I could not believe how
quiet it was. It was amazing. After the hurricane
passes, I'm going to pick one up to go with the
camper/bugout command post.

John
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#31]
in 2013 Tornado came through the neighborhood..My  house was unliveable but some of the neighbors' house were intact ..I loaned my Harbor Freight 3KW out to a neighbor ..Pretty much got passed around the neighborhood and it was 2 months before I saw it again..came back in perfect shape though
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
What is the significance of the
GFI on the  EB-2000 as opposed
to the EU-2000?

John
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:01:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's some "raiders of the lost ark" type ingenuity right there
View Quote
Fyi methheads are amazing problem solvers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Several years ago we had rolling blackouts at my parents' home (Los Angeles area). The sound of the genny in their RV brought the neighbors on each side over; my parents let them heat some dinners up in the microwave.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted: I ran across a tail-gater at the Clemson/Kent State game last week that was running
a Honda EU2000, and I could not believe howquiet it was. It was amazing. After the hurricane passes, I'm going to pick one up to go with the
camper/bugout command post. John
View Quote
During one of the hurricanes about 10 years ago; one of my coworkers bought one of the large Honda generators (6000 maybe?) that was in a large square tube frame. He had just picked it up and came to work. We went outside to check it out.  He fired it up in the back of his pickup and we all still could have a conversation without raising our voices leaning up against the truck bed.

Does anyone have any experience with the generators that can couple together?
The Honda had two (iirc the 2000 & 3000) but I think they quit making the 3000 version.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#36]
During hurricane Rita in Beaumont Texas it was reported that a running generator was stolen one night. It seems the thief placed a stolen running lawn mower next to the running generator, shut down the generator and made off with it before the owner realized he had no power. This happened late at night when the owner was asleep.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#37]
We have had threads with someone having a couple of the 2k watt versions.

I also recall in past mother nature hissy fit threads we discussed having coffee and some other stuff for the neighbors.

It can help them feel normal.  Letting some of the women have hot showers after several days without power can be a big thing.

In a lot of my thinking I sort of have 2 ways of looking at what I have on hand.

Give me a week long, heck month long, mother nature hissy fit or man made screw up and I am much more likely to help neighbors out with my supplies.  I do somewhat have to say that while a cup of coffee now and then in a styrofoam cup would be free, lots of cooking and heating water and stuff is going to require they bring food and fuel and what not.

This thinking is for something localized where supplies are coming from the rest of the country and you know it is a limited time event.

Give me something that makes me wonder when things will return to normal and I look at things in a whole new light.  Sure I might share a cup of coffee with a neighbor still, but they don't need to know about amount of supplies on hand and what not.  Might downplay things big time by using the percolator on a coleman camp stove on the back porch or something.  Dutch oven out in the fire pit, with a couple dogs chained nearby for doggy duty.

Heck, I prep for the dogs as well and I bet some neighbors would get upset by the doggies having their regular food continue while the neighbors wonder what is going on after a short period of time.

Those who know me know I am all about helping folks out, but I really want those folks to be helping themselves along as well.  And my mood changes a tad when folks think I have to do some sharing and what not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Around here many folks (as everywhere) keep their generator in a storge shed or such beside their push mower.  Many of the crooks would sneak in after dark, start the lawn mower before stealing the generator.  That way the owner wouldn't hear the motor stop.  Gave them just enough time to get out of the area before the resident realized that the fan or window unit wasn't running.  SO, don't know what to tell you to do, but just something to think about your setup.

Doc

Sorry for the Dupe Vinny.  Was tired the night I typed this.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a concern as I 've learned how to say "NO". I also use a Eu2000 which is barely a mousefart.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I could barely hear the eu2000 outside my window over the sound of the neighbors generator.  Also I sleep with a cpap and if they shut off the generator I'm going to know right away.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
During hurricane Rita in Beaumont Texas it was reported that a running generator was stolen one night. It seems the thief placed a stolen running lawn mower next to the running generator, shut down the generator and made off with it before the owner realized he had no power. This happened late at night when the owner was asleep.
View Quote
I've never understood why people would run a generator at night while they were sleeping. It's a huge waste.

Roll that thing into the garage for the night and all of these problems go away.

Also, knowing how to say no solves OPs problem too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've never understood why people would run a generator at night while they were sleeping. It's a huge waste.

Roll that thing into the garage for the night and all of these problems go away.

Also, knowing how to say no solves OPs problem too.
View Quote
The only reason I run my 3000 watt quiet invertor generator at night is when it's summer time and hot as heck and humid outside. I have an emergency window unit AC  that I keep put up until I need it.
I tried battery fans and other ways to stay cool  during power outages at night in the summer, but the older I get the wimpyer I get and the more I want to be comfortable.
But other than that I agree it's crazy to run a generator at night while sleeping.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#45]
In 2003, when Isabel came thru here, I didn't have a generator. It was miserably hot and humid and couldn't sleep. Went without power for 5 full days. One neighbor had a B&S generator from Lowes that they ran constantly, all night and day. Didn't endear themselves to the other neighbors, including me. In 2011, I had a generator that I ran for 2 days solid so I could have a little portable A/C in the bedrooms and keep the fridge and freezer cold. There were 4-5 other generators running all around me so it was no big deal.

Speaking of B&S generators, one of the reasons my 5500W is so loud is that the frame is not very tight. Crank that up and about half the noise is the frame vibrating metal-to-metal. The newer dual-fuel that I bought is bigger but a little quieter.

I have a Honda EU-2000i that I bought recently and used for Field Day with the ham radio club. You could stand over it and have a conversation. Same with the EU-3000i we have at work. Interestingly, the EU-7000i that we got recently to power our ops trailer at work is much, much quieter than the 15k BTU A/C on the top of the trailer. It makes noise both inside <AND> outside the trailer.

You should consider noise discipline to be multi-faceted. It's not enough to just make your generator quieter, you also have to make sure the stuff you are powering doesn't give away the fact you have power. That includes lighting as well as A/C, pumps, etc.

One neighbor now has a whole house generator. When that thing kicks on every Sunday morning, it sounds like somebody is mowing their lawn with a commercial riding mower. Whatever generator noise I make will be small by comparison.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Have you thought about a battery bank?  (Trojan Battery)

I don't run my generator now because of the noise.   I have a solar array that charges the battery bank.  (Tracking Solar Arrays)

The battery bank provides power to critical systems during a power failure and they are quiet.  (Battery Banks Powering your Home)
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Some good ideas/thoughts posted.

Rural area. Longish driveway up to house and a LOT of various outbuildings. Live 20 minutes from town. There are some families, and some empty cabins. It's a lake property street. Not packed in, but a semi-dense area as far as super rural areas go.

For power outages (couple days to a couple weeks)
Don't want to make any enemies over such a easy time (for my family). Will let people charge phones. Can share some food.

Anything longer will mean less for others. Less gen running time even for us. Still can't make enemies though. Don't want to be the excluded ones in such a rural neighborhood. Then you don't get a share of the garden veggies, told when someone is running into town for stuff, other opportunities, etc.

But my family's house has never had AC, and even now in my apartment I haven't used AC for half the summer (waiting for replacement unit). I can't even comprehend using a generator for anything besides fridges and freezers. Open windows at night, close in the morning when it starts heating up, and then open them again once the temp outside is cooler than inside in the late afternoon. Repeat every day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top