Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2017 7:10:19 AM EDT
I'm looking for a suitable container for the standard CaClO solution of 7 grams/2 gal of water.  It needs to be able to dispense small quantities accurately (3/4 cup) at a time.  Must be food grade. Either a 1 gal or 2 gal will do.

This stuff is pretty corrosive so it must not leak and cannot be made of steel.

A suitable tip n pour type container would be perfect if it is tough and the CaClO won't eat it.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a suitable container for the standard NaClO solution of 7 grams/2 gal of water.  It needs to be able to dispense small quantities accurately (3/4 cup) at a time.  Must be food grade. Either a 1 gal or 2 gal will do.

This stuff is pretty corrosive so it must not leak and cannot be made of steel.

A suitable tip n pour type container would be perfect if it is tough and the NaClO won't eat it.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

Don't you mean NaClO2???  Sodium chlorite, a component of 2-part water purification systems you mix with citric acid or other weak acid to generate unstable short lived chlorine dioxide in water solution that sterilizes it for drinking?

Stuff you can buy in usually flake form on eBay?

I'd use a 1 gallon Simply Lemonade bottle from the grocery store.

Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't you mean NaCL2???  Sodium chlorite, a component of 2-part water purification systems you mix with citric acid or other weak acid to generate unstable short lived chlorine dioxide in water solution that sterilizes it for drinking?

Stuff you can buy in usually flake form on eBay?

I'd use a 1 gallon Simply Lemonade bottle from the grocery store.

Not a big deal.
View Quote
CaClO is sodium hypochlorite Aka pool shock
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No NaClO is sodium hypochlorite Aka pool shock
View Quote
OK.. Also, I speled NaClO2 wrong in my post above...  Fixed.

Are we talking calcium hypochlorite CaClO2  -pool shock?

Or NaClO sodium hypochlorite -bleach?

We keep flake NaClO2 [in a jar] so we can make the water purifying solution of chlorine dioxide.

NaClO or is it CaClO2 ?  is bad stuff and there have been some topics on it over the years here.

We bought some from Wal-Mart ~50% and first tried storing it in a canning jar and it ate up the lid.

Then found some WalMart plastic food containers with the square top with a spring mechanism that expands it in place, and have one up here right now in the barn. The first one we used had it's springs eaten up.

I'll look now for the topics.

Will also look at the container with the NaClO or CaClO2 in it in the next hour.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking for something that I can premix the CaClO solution in and measure off 6.25 oz to add to 5 gal of water without over or under dosing it or spilling it on something valuable.  

I like this but I'm not sure if the solution will destroy it or not.  Your first link is mine from 2007 

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm looking for something that I can premix the NaClO solution in and measure off 6.25 oz to add to 5 gal of water.  

I like this but I'm not sure if the solution will destroy it or not.  Your first link is mine from 2007 

http://www.thecarycompany.com/media/catalog/product/6/8/68wtm1_1.jpg
View Quote
What a coincidence!

Bleach then...

Searched plastic compatability for NaClO -aka Clorox

I'm looking at a Clorox bottle and it's HDPE with a triangle 2 on the bottom.

Found this:

http://hillbrothers.com/sodium-hypochlorite/

Handling

The handling of sodium hypochlorite requires a clear understating and knowledge of safety handling and storage precautions. Avoid all direct contact with sodium hypochlorite. It is irritating to the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes. Use of proper protective equipment is recommended (goggles and impervious gloves). Proper selection of storage tanks, equipment, and site location are extremely important to safely store and handle bleach. Relatively few materials of construction can withstand the highly reactive nature of sodium hypochlorite. Using incompatible material with bleach can damage equipment and contaminate product. The only metals that should be used with bleach are titanium or tantalum. Plastics such as polyethylene, PVC, Teflon and other compatible plastics are the most common used materials.

Compatible Materials

PVDF (Fluorinated polyvinylidene)

PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene)

Polypropylene

PVC

CPVC

etc...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't you mean calcium hypochlorite CaClO2 -pool shock...

I'm confused -my normal state...  Thankfully...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What a coincidence!

Bleach then...

Searched plastic compatability for NaClO -aka Clorox

I'm looking at a Clorox bottle and it's HDPE with a triangle 2 on the bottom.

Found this:

http://hillbrothers.com/sodium-hypochlorite/

Handling

The handling of sodium hypochlorite requires a clear understating and knowledge of safety handling and storage precautions. Avoid all direct contact with sodium hypochlorite. It is irritating to the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes. Use of proper protective equipment is recommended (goggles and impervious gloves). Proper selection of storage tanks, equipment, and site location are extremely important to safely store and handle bleach. Relatively few materials of construction can withstand the highly reactive nature of sodium hypochlorite. Using incompatible material with bleach can damage equipment and contaminate product. The only metals that should be used with bleach are titanium or tantalum. Plastics such as polyethylene, PVC, Teflon and other compatible plastics are the most common used materials.

Compatible Materials

PVDF (Fluorinated polyvinylidene)

PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene)

Polypropylene

PVC

CPVC

etc...
View Quote
Yes I mean Ca not Na.  I got 4 hrs of sleep and am watching this hurricane with anxiety.

OK so I need one of these made from a plastic off of the above list?  Sourcing it is the challenge.  I think everyone will want one of these due to their ease of use. You just put 2/3 tsp in a gallon of water in this jug then shake it up and the stock solution is done.  When needed add 6.25 oz to 5 cal of water.

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I expect it would be fine...

In the meantime, I'd use a soda bottle with a calibrated scale on the side with a Sharpie ---or a measuring cup.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Nalgene makes 8, 16 and 32 hdpe round and square water bottles. They are a thick plastic and pretty tough and durable. I would pour the individual pool shock contents into these types of containers, and open the lid to take out a table spoon or two as needed with a plastic measuring spoon. I bet a 16 ounce bottle would hold a pack or two of shock, which would would be enough to treat thousands of gallons of water for drinking.

Don't even think about keeping it in the thin plastic bag it may arrive in. Transfer it to something (compatible) and more substantial.

Like others on here I later read about, I had problems with storing mine. I originally stored a few containers of pool shock in a double zip lock bag. The vapors still escaped enough to seriously corrode the metal shelf they were on. The dry pool shock can  be a very valuable prep, but must be stored very carefully since it is so potent. When you need bleach, nothing else will do.

I also have a glass ball jar (canning) with a plastic lid, and silicon seal, that seems to be holding up. They at least are all glass, but the plastic lid is not particularly thick, so I don't know if vapors will slowly penetrate it.

Your post has also made me think that it's worthwhile to fill a small hdpe nalgene 2 oz. bottle and keep it in my backpack. I still think they may off-gas a very small amount over an extended time, but they are probably the best option out there.

Campmor has all types of these bottles available.
https://www.campmor.com/b/nalgene-rectangular-8-oz-bottle-bpa-free-80884
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't need anything to store it dry.   I need something like the container posted above made from a suitable plastic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Ca(ClO)2 is Calcium hypochlorite.  The ClO2 would be the chlorite.  The ClO3 would be the chlorate.  And the ClO4 would be the hyperchorate.  ...just sayin'...
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Like others on here I later read about, I had problems with storing mine. I originally stored a few containers of pool shock in a double zip lock bag. The vapors still escaped enough to seriously corrode the metal shelf they were on. The dry pool shock can  be a very valuable prep, but must be stored very carefully since it is so potent. When you need bleach, nothing else will do.

I also have a glass ball jar (canning) with a plastic lid, and silicon seal, that seems to be holding up. They at least are all glass, but the plastic lid is not particularly thick, so I don't know if vapors will slowly penetrate it.
View Quote
@Brian252

Any corrosion problems in the area around the glass jar?  Are you using a tattler lid or something else?

I'd love to keep some of this on hand, but haven't done so due to the corrosion issue.  My best thought was to package it as well as I could, put it in a faux birdhouse, and then nail it to a tree in the back yard.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#14]
@corruptor

I just checked my glass jar of pool shock. I had not used it in probably 18 months. It was out of sight in my pantry, on the floor just below a chrome metal shelf.

The shelf did get slightly corroded, and the mix looked dry but had actually turned to mush. I was mistaken when I said that the plastic cap had a silicon gasket, it did not. So a tiny amount of air was getting in and out over the last 2 years. I did get a year or two of use out of the mix before it went bad. I would normally mix up a gallon of bleach every 6 months or so for cleaning.

The corrosion on the shelf was modest, but there were clear speckles of rust all around the area where the jar was, so some tiny amount of chlorine gas was leaking out slowly over time. The white plastic cap was intact. I pressed on the top and it made cracking sounds but did not break, so I think that the chlorine was even taking a toll on the plastic lid. The plastic canning lid is pretty decent when snug, but it is definitely not watertight. A few drops of liquid would seep out of it every minute if you had it filled with water and it was on its side. It would have done better and been watertight if I used the silicon gasket.

That is the last of my pool shock stash. I think I'll pick up some more and fill one of the thick hdpe bottles that I linked to above.

So the pool shock is good stuff, but very tough to keep usable for a long time unless you have a very good method to store it. I suppose if someone wanted to test their storage method, seal it up, and put a bright steel nail on top of your container. If you see the nail corrode over time, some of the chlorine is getting out.

Otherwise, get a fresh batch of shock every year or two, and consider it a $10 per year insurance policy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally remembered to look at the quite full container my SO put the 'Sock-It' 47% calcium hypochlorite with 45% available chlorine -in.

It is actually double 'containered'.

The inside jar is a Kilner brand canning jar with a red [rubber?] seal, a glass top and a chromium plated ? steel wire bail closure device.

It's been in the jar about 6 years, the seal has held up well with no sign of deterioration.

I opened the jar and was greeted with intense chlorine gas and held my breath and stepped away for a moment, opened the door, then the odor dissipated.

There was some tiny amount of liquid [suppose a reaction with moisture when the powder was sealed] on the top and a few crystals on the inside top of the lid, probably some sort of tiny and horrible weather system going on over the years.

The steel bail handle has turned green in areas and where not green is rusted, and is still quite functional. I expect the chrome plated bail reacted with the chlorine that permeates thru the seal and formed chromium chloride.

The bail is still fully functional.

The outer container is a square clear plastic Walmart food storage item, marked triangle 7 as to the plastic and made in Taiwan, with a capacity of 2.4l or 10 cups.

It fits the jar perfectly.

The lid on the plastic container is one of those kind that has a plastic handle/lever that expands a seal around the perimeter.

There was no odor when I opened the outer container, probably because the chlorine permeation is so slow that it reacts with the metal entirely and results in no free Cl2.

So, this system has worked extremely well to store the Sock-It.

An improvement could be suggested to react with the chlorine by someone with a chem background.

I would like to know of a sacrificial metal with a higher reactivity than the chrome and iron/steel ---to put into the outer jar ---so the bail closure is protected.

Copper??? Aluminum? Lithium?

Don't want the reacted compound to go bang...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#16]
One more thing, my SO put the label from the bag in the outer container and there's no deterioration.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I threw some pool shock into a plano plastic ammo can and it seems to be doing ok.

Can the powder degrade to the point of being useless? 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Mason jar, plastic lid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mason jar, plastic lid.
View Quote
Do people not read?  There is no way I'm storing a strong bleach solution in glass 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Any corrosion problems in the area around the glass jar?  Are you using a tattler lid or something else?

I'd love to keep some of this on hand, but haven't done so due to the corrosion issue.
View Quote
reagent bottle

reagent bottle

mason jar lid will get destroyed, the reagent bottles will keep basically forever. Ive had these going on 5ish years now

you can get them in plastic as well
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
In my experience, the powdered bleach will degrade unless it is in a completely air tight container. In the thin celophane or plastic bags it comes in from the store: it will absolutely degrade in a year or two, and corrode everything around it. In my glass mason jar with a 99.5% sealed plastic lid, it still absorbed moisture from the air and turned to mush in 3 to 4 years.

I recently found silicon seals for mason jars that may improve this.
https://masonjarlifestyle.com/product/leak-proof-food-safe-silicone-sealing-lid-liners-regular-mouth-mason-jars/

Or get the hdpe containers. They should work, they are water tight and won't break. I don't know if very long term the powder will loose strength. Bleach is potent stuff and will readily dissipate it seems. It may even slowly dissipate through plastic. I recently checked a gallon bottle of store bought laundry bleach, it was under the sink a year and a half or so, never opened and completely sealed. Opened it up and it had basically no bleach smell. It was done, so I poured it down the drain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top