Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2017 1:20:30 PM EDT
It's crap!

I just rebuilt/cleaned a carb on my big generator. It was gummed up with orangish crap that came from stabil-real gas is not orange.

the gen came with a house I bought, tested it 6 years ago, added new gas+ new cutoff valve.

couple years later, worked fine. (ETA I ran/changed gas-not just flipped it on for a few minutes if you ASSumed that then you were wrong)

1.5 years ago before cane season, tested the gen -little rough but changed gas and it ran fine- thought I would use stabil because it was was in the genny vs gas cans

bad idea. The two seals in the gas cap were destroyed, and the carb was gummed up. Seals could have been anything but the crap in the carb was the stabil.

dont use that crap.

ETA

for the idiots that assumed I left the gas in there- It was changed out/ran to test

it was not 6yo gas

Ive highlighted the parts for the non grade school level readers -
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always had good luck with seafoam.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have any type gasoline motors and you don't crank them but every few years you are asking for trouble no matter what fuel or preservative you use.
If you tend to crank engines at least every 4 to 5 months things will always be better for you and your engine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using stabil for years with no issue.

I never let any fuel get over a year old, usually less, since I tend to go through more than I can store each summer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You let gas sit for 4 years, and are complaining that the gas additive did not do its job?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
sounds like you have a rust problem
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have any type gasoline motors and you don't crank them but every few years you are asking for trouble no matter what fuel or preservative you use.
If you tend to crank engines at least every 4 to 5 months things will always be better for you and your engine.
View Quote
Not only crank them, but let them run for a few hours. Just making sure they fire and run for a minute isn't enough run-time to get the cobwebs cleaned out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I just run 100LL in all of my engines where there are no catalytic converters so that I don't have to worry about it.  It costs a little more but it is worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy ethanol free gas.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I was always taught to shut the fuel line, and run it dry before storing it.  

Sta-Bil is for like a 6 month storage, not a 6 year storage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]
that's a long time, I never had trouble with it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Stabil sucks. Pri-G is where it is at. Sealed well Pri-G will keep gas for years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stabil sucks. Pri-G is where it is at. Sealed well Pri-G will keep gas for years.
View Quote
THis is what I use.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
L-O-L!

They're all about the same...

Mostly Stoddard Solvent, mineral spirits, petroleum distillates, etc. Same things, basically. Plus tiny amounts of additives that likely, aren't enough to have any measurable effect.

Read the [little] info the mfgr's provide in their MSDS sheets.

So many are suckered with this stuff.

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just run 100LL in all of my engines where there are no catalytic converters so that I don't have to worry about it.  It costs a little more but it is worth it to me.
View Quote
can one just go to the local airpark and fill-er-up?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sealed well, gas will keep for years.

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Huh, I shut the fuel valve and run the carb dry.

Have used Stabil for years without any kind of event.

This reads more like looking to blame someone else for being a bone head.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#18]
What about anti-ethanol additives?  My AO is basically all 10% crap unless you get racing gas, avgas, or canned premix at ridiculous prices.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]
anytime you have a small volume of vented gas that sits for a long time, like in a carb, it doesn't matter what you put in it, it will evaporate and gum up.
Sta-bil works great for large volumes such as tanks, etc. Drain your carbs. Run the engines every three months. Non-ethanol fuel helps a lot as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Stabil and Seafoam in no ethanol 87 octane gas. 5 of my ten cans of gas have Lucas Oil brand fuel system cleaner. I have zero issues with gas storage. After one year I pour the old gas into our daily drivers and burn it.
Op is wrong on this subject.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think the Stabil was your issue, it was the 6 years.

I have used plenty of gas that was stored in jerry cans with Stabil over 5 years and it was fine.  No idea if the Stabil was is what made it fine or not but it worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I use the marine version of Stabil (blue not red) since it has more of what supposedly keeps the gas stable. Still, I try my best to run the generators dry to keep from gumming the carbs. Some of the el-cheapo generators (read Harbor Freight miniature genny) will suck gas past the fuel shutoff valve and simply not die. They are also 2-stroke which has its own set of issues.

I try my best to not keep gas more than a year. Usually, I'm rotating gas in my 5gal cans. When I get near the 1yr boundary, I dump it into my truck and go refill the can with fresh gas. If you have a dozen cans and rotate one per month, you'll have "fresh" gas that is no more than 1yr old, and half less than 6months old.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Startron is teh shit for fuel. Best stuff I have ever found.

Ethanol gas is hygroscopic, a simple gasoline stabilizer isn't going to prevent water from being attracted to the ethanol, emulsifying and causing corrosion problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Startron is teh shit for fuel. Best stuff I have ever found.

Ethanol gas is hygroscopic, a simple gasoline stabilizer isn't going to prevent water from being attracted to the ethanol, emulsifying and causing corrosion problems.
View Quote
STAR*TRON

MSDS

CHEMICAL NAME

EU CLASSIFICATION FOR COMPONENTS

Proprietary Organic Compounds   < 0.5%

Solvent Naphtha (Petroleum), Heavy Aliphatic  64742-96-7  > 95%

Nothing but mineral spirits, like all the rest!

lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Stabil is crap.
Put it in my backup F350 and after 1 year it dissolved the lining in the tank and gunked up the entire fuel system.
I have already spent $1500 trying to get it going but it looks like a write-off.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Stabil is They are all mostly mineral spirit crap.

Put it in my backup F350 and after 1 year it dissolved the lining in the tank and gunked up the entire fuel system.
I have already spent $1500 trying to get it going but it looks like a write-off.
View Quote
FIFY

Read the MSDS SHEETS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too.  Most people don't realize that hangar queens may fly once a year.  If 100LL AvGas gummed up carbs GA aircraft would be falling out of the skies like leaves in Autumn.

I also use it with my 4 stroke lawn equipment and with 2 stroke oil in saws, compactors any anything else 2 stroke.  The only drawback is that since 100LL is blue, you have to be sure you added the oil, because you can't tell by looking.

And yes, just go to your local airpark with an empty 5 gal jug.  Most airports have self-service pumps that take credit cards.  They're different from car gas pumps.  If you ask at the desk (usually the FBO), there's a good chance someone friendly will show you what to do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
What is 100LL?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I use in all my 2 strokes. The remaining Avgas gets run out in the mowers for the final run of the season, oil and all. My generator runs on natural gas ala US Carburetion Motor Snorkel dual fuel kit. If you run automotive gas in your genny, you have to drain the tank and change the oil before you put it up. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been very pleased with PRI-G. I routinely use two year old gas in my vehicle and have never noticed an issue.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#31]
On a similar note home depot sells a product called  "mechanic in a bottle".  They claim it will fix
non-running lawn equipment with fuel-related problems.  You pour out the bad fuel and put a couple ounces of this in the tank. Then you prime and pull the starter cord and leave it a few hours to let it dissolve the varnish. Then, Top it off with fuel and crank it.  I tried it on an edger that wouldn't idle.  It actually solved the problem!

Snake oil or not, it kept me from having to pull the carb and clean it.

ETA: It supposedly has a five year shelf life. If I have another favorable experience with it I might stock a little. Every time a storm comes through you'd be a hero with the neighbors who can't get their gennys or chain saws to crank
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Anytime I have outside chores to do that require electric power tools I try to use my generator. If I just want to cycle it  I'll hook my compressor to it with a small leak in the bleed off valve. I'll let it run about 20 minutes with the compressor kicking on and off to work the armature as well as the engine. Winco 5k with brushless head.
Edit; stabil is crap. Trashed my troybilt with that garbage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Huh, I shut the fuel valve and run the carb dry.

Have used Stabil for years without any kind of event.

View Quote
+1...  I run the tank AND carb dry...  Been doing this periodically with my generator for 12 years.  It usually starts on the first pull!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Pri-g in non ethanol premium or av gas for anything carbureted.
No carb problems. Use preferably from day one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've been using stabil for years with no issue.

I never let any fuel get over a year old, usually less, since I tend to go through more than I can store each summer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I have 2 cans of untreated gas that is 2 years old.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:35:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1

I haven't had a problem since I started using this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You let gas sit for 4 years, and are complaining that the gas additive did not do its job?
View Quote
The derp is even worse on boating and antique tractor forums. Lots of "perfectly running when I shut it off 20 years ago. Put that damned ethanol crap in it, and now have to replace fuel lines and gaskets". It's Bushes fault".
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
If they're sealed cans, It's probably as good as the day you bought it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey buddy I hope you are well.  These got caught up in the divorce move and there was nothing to rotate them through.

They are in those older red 5 gl cans with that white cap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Add to vehicle a couple gallons at a time with almost full tank to dilute it with fresh gas. Car won't care.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
/ Thread
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pour it out.

eta: Unless it was in sealed cans, then it may be gtg.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And yes, just go to your local airpark with an empty 5 gal jug.  Most airports have self-service pumps that take credit cards.  They're different from car gas pumps.  If you ask at the desk (usually the FBO), there's a good chance someone friendly will show you what to do.
View Quote
Cool, thanks. I'll probably go up to Frederick or Gaithersburg.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I knew the reading comprehension winners would  be out

did you even read?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
sounds like you have a rust problem
View Quote
nope

rust does not form in a carb on aluminum
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Buy ethanol free gas.
View Quote
it was
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
so I never have problems with any of my gas, in anything else, except the one with stabil, but its my fault?

It amazing how many will cover for their panaceas

MUH silver colloid
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't think the Stabil was your issue, it was the 6 years.
View Quote

it was not in there for 6 years

jesus where is this coming from

did any of you read or all this stupid?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there is a local airfield they likely rotate their gas which gets sold at a local station with a racing gas pump.  Buy it there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top