Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2017 1:07:42 AM EDT
Ordered a Mossberg Shockwave as a Truck Gun.

Going to throw it into a scabbard type case:

And probably pick up a shotgun chest rig:

The question I have, and I have no idea about this, is do I want to go with straight black?  Or some kind of camouflage?

What's the consensus for running around during SHTF?

Black too SWATish?  Camo too ARMYish?

Thanks for any input!

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:49:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Shockwave? Really?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shockwave? Really?
View Quote
Really!

Cheap and compact.

It'll fit in my spare tire well.

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Well if you're trying to be discreet, I would avoid anything with camouflage or MOLLE webbing, or anything that even looked like a gun case in the first place.

But I suppose if you're envisioning traveling about with it plainly in view, it won't matter.

My "long gun" road-tripping kit consists of an old woodland MOLLE vest, some old Desert Storm night camo overcoat/pants, concealable soft armor, and an ordinary looking hiking pack. I can wear it overtly if need be, but since probably most situations will require discretion, all that can be broken down and packed away in the backpack, and I can still have a decent level of protection wearing the armor and a pistol concealed, while looking like just another wandering bum or whatnot.

Not taking into account your local laws, have you thought about rigging it to either side of a backpack frame for quick access? Either with a non-descript scabbard (that doesn't shout gun), or something home made. Depending on your preferences, you may not even have to have it concealed much if it's mated up nicely to next to the frame or pack. Check out threads on open carry, even people plainly carrying handguns go unnoticed by most people because most people aren't paying attention to squat.

Color-wise, I think anything is better than black. Solid black isn't a good camouflage choice for day or night. Black equipment will scream "tactical" (to me anyways). Black sucks up and retains heat, which sucks in the south. I leave that color to the mall ninjas and the SWAT teams who use it for psychological value.

ETA: Now here's an interesting option....soft pool cue bags.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I would probably buy 2 of the shotgun slings that hold shells and hook them together before I would have a chest carrier full of shells.

If anyone sees that loaded with shells, I don't think black or camo matters.

All my shotgun shells are either whitish, grey, red, or green.  So gonna stand out.  I guess the dark grey would blend best but whatever.

I often skip pure black on stuff like this just because I want the color broken up.

I will admit I have never seen a shell carrier like that, so never given it a thought.

I am the guy who would be a lot more likely to put on the lightweight coat or something and have a bunch of loose shells in it.  Have to make sure you orient them right before loading.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
In what environment do you intend to use it?  Once the shotgun and chest rig come out, you are no longer gray man.

What color is the interior of your truck?  Matching that might help conceal it if left in the open or from a distance when you are sorting through your stuff.  I think that's more important than once you go to action.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In what environment do you intend to use it?  Once the shotgun and chest rig come out, you are no longer gray man.

What color is the interior of your truck?  Matching that might help conceal it if left in the open or from a distance when you are sorting through your stuff.  I think that's more important than once you go to action.
View Quote
I mostly see this as a Get Home Bag type thing.

Unfortunately my Get Home Bag is black which might be a little too SWATish.

I'm going to stick the carrier and case in here:

So it'll be out of sight until I need it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't stick with black as others have mentioned. I would use a color that works well for you AO. why not integrate your ghb/bob into one pack and make a scabbard on the back of the pack (where it will be, between your back and the pack) and rock it "Eli" style (book of eli) most won't know what the birdshead grip is for and the rest will be concealed.

As for the shells, have you ever tried to gain access from those elastic holder while under the gun? if not, well it sucks! lol for fun I bought two of those belt bandoleer's that hold 25 shells each and criss crossed them around my chest and went dove hunting with them. I found my typical bird vest with shells in the front pouches is far faster, however losing shells if on the run would be a issue. so maybe putting one of those 25 round belts in the pack and affix one side in the pack and if TSHTF you rip it out and drape over your shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
You're worried about the color of your accessories, when you're walking around with a shotgun?  I'd think the shotgun in your hands or slung over your shoulder would send a stronger message, and draw more attention, than any other color combination.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll just grow a ponytail, get a beatnik hat and use a guitar case. I have the guitar case

Maybe just buy some hair extensions
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're worried about the color of your accessories, when you're walking around with a shotgun?  I'd think the shotgun in your hands or slung over your shoulder would send a stronger message, and draw more attention, than any other color combination.
View Quote
LOL, I told someone the exact same thing in a thread a few months ago, asking about 'discreet' options to carry 6 loaded 30rd AR mags for SHTF.

Isn't walking around with an AR going to make the whole 'discreet' thing a moot point?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Fine fine:

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]
there you go. just tie a cardigan around your waist and your set! lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]
have you looked at shell box holders or shell bags?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Field Hockey stick bag works perfect and has a pocket big enough for a 25 shell box and some small stuff As an added bonus they are non tactical colors.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you ever shot a Shockwave ? IMHO they're cool looking and a fun range toy but that's about it . Defensive loads like buckshot ain't fun.
I think a handgun would serve you better .
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't buy a shockwave. If you've never fired a shotgun with a pistol grip ... you're in for a "treat".  They're a marketing gimmick for people that don't actually shoot their guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Regarding gear color ...

Black absolutely does not work in natural environments.  It is fine for SWAT door kickers who want to look intimidating.

Select a color based upon your area of operation and operational plan.  If you plan on walking around with a black chest rig and shockwave ... you probably won't last long.  

I'd consider coyote brown, dark gray (like LBT's Mas Gray) or ranger green ... if you want to rock the low-pro Gray Man approach.
If you'd heading to the woodline at the first sign of trouble ... coyote brown, multicam, ATACS FG.

Circling back to the gun ... consider a folding stock AK or similar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top