Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2017 2:25:17 AM EDT
I used to travel a lot for work and after several "last minute" trips, I decided to get a duplicate set of all my toiletries so I could pack my bags in 5 minutes should I be sent out of town at the last minute.

A few years ago, an Air Force friend showed me his "bug out bag"...I laughed at him and questioned his rational for its contents.  It contained ammo, knives, and a bag of rice.  I think that he eventually added a life straw.  I asked what kind of scenario such a bag would be good for...how he would cook his rice...etc.

Recently I have given some thought to this..whether I should a bag of supplies for the family should we need to evacuate.  I think it's a good idea, but to me the most likely scenarios for having to evacuate are going to be fire or weather.  In that case, my most needful things might be diapers, wipes, a little food, some water, a little money (gas, food, hotel?), some toiletries, and a change of clothes for everybody in the family.  I'm sure there are other practical items I'm missing, but it's my first thoughts.

I wonder if some people with "bug out bags" have realistic expectations for their use and pack the contents accordingly, or fantasize about a sudden societal breakdown or zombie apocalypse.  I know that there are a lot of potential reasons to have to evacuate (earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, floods, power outages, volcanoes, etc), so one person's needs will not always match somebody else's, but I'd like to get some things together and be realistic about what we might face.

What are some good practical items that I should add?  Any things to avoid?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely real.

I have backpacks in each car.  First aid kit, poncho, mylar blanket, gloves, pliers, knife, food, water, 550 cord, lighter, pen, paper, strobe.  Guns are always on me.  As seasons change, pack is adjusted.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends, do you have enemies that you may need to grab a bag and disappear? Maybe you're married with kids and prepared for the day she wants a divorce and you don't want to pay child support. Maybe you're doing something illegal where you might need to disappear from the police to escape jail time. Maybe you have crazy homicidal stalkers. But yeah I would think criminals would need a bug out bag more than anyone. Like hitmen or serial killers or maybe a spy. Average Joe probably doesn't need one though unless he's just really paranoid. But yeah passport and lots of cash are good for disappearing ;) 
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it would be helpful to draw a distinction between a "get home bag" and a "bug out bag".
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree @OP in this case. My bug out bag is a maxpedition versipak with essentials most likely needed for a fire or weather emergency. some cash, copies of credit card and important papers, some diapers, 2 bottles of water, copies of the car and truck keys, lights, basic first aid, coffee candies and power bars, and some spare ammo for anything I would use as an HD gun. It's basically a "make life tolerable for 4 hours or get me somewhere better" bag.
If I could only grab one thing to leave with in a storm or fire, it's that. Here in North Texas we get solid severe storms. This bag gets slung, I put on boots and an extra flashlight goes in the pocket. rifle usually nearby but pretty sure it won't be useful against weather (Spin off What round for a Tornado Thread?)

That has enough to get me to the truck, which has a more significant set up. same idea but more food, water, firepower. I'm also working on keeping spare clothes and shoes in there, as leaving in the middle of the night would leave me grossly naked.

If I really had to leave the house for the apocalypse I would have time to get my full sized bag, throw some clothes and more stuff in there, and get out of dodge.

my honest risk assessment is that I'm more likely to have a local problem (fire/flooded house from pipes breaking/break in/tornado) than anything global. realistically I'll need to get my ass to a hotel, and there should be one within a 10 minute drive to an unaffected area.

I have an 18 month old. my days of jet setting without time to pack toothpaste are wayyyyyyyy past. it takes 15 minutes to gear up for a trip to the grocery store...
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#5]
How does it not make sense to have a few emergency supplies available?

I'm admittedly pretty heavy on the self-reliance/prepper side, but I just can't comprehend why anybody even has to ask this question.

Tuning the contents is part of the fun.  

Plenty of threads on this in the survival forum, but I'll start off with:

1. Water.  Probably the #1 physical survival prep of all time.
2. TP.    We have a roll in every vehicle's BOB.  We take out the cardboard core, then use a Foodsaver to vacuum-pack the roll in a quart-sized bag.  Makes nice compact, waterproof package.  Of all the BOB components that end up getting called up for active duty, these have proven to be one of the more popular.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used to travel a lot for work and after several "last minute" trips, I decided to get a duplicate set of all my toiletries so I could pack my bags in 5 minutes should I be sent out of town at the last minute.

A few years ago, an Air Force friend showed me his "bug out bag"...I laughed at him and questioned his rational for its contents.  It contained ammo, knives, and a bag of rice.  I think that he eventually added a life straw.  I asked what kind of scenario such a bag would be good for...how he would cook his rice...etc.

Recently I have given some thought to this..whether I should a bag of supplies for the family should we need to evacuate.  I think it's a good idea, but to me the most likely scenarios for having to evacuate are going to be fire or weather.  In that case, my most needful things might be diapers, wipes, a little food, some water, a little money (gas, food, hotel?), some toiletries, and a change of clothes for everybody in the family.  I'm sure there are other practical items I'm missing, but it's my first thoughts.

I wonder if some people with "bug out bags" have realistic expectations for their use and pack the contents accordingly, or fantasize about a sudden societal breakdown or zombie apocalypse.  I know that there are a lot of potential reasons to have to evacuate (earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, floods, power outages, volcanoes, etc), so one person's needs will not always match somebody else's, but I'd like to get some things together and be realistic about what we might face.

View Quote

A couple days ago I posted about Robert O’Neill's "get home kit": cash, Copenhagen and cigarettes. Above all, cash.
Now I know SEALs have a dedicated survival tin kit, and of course the gear and weapons they usually carry. If someone is trying to kill you then cash will do you no good, you need a gun. If you're dying of dehyration in the middle of the desert you need water not cash. But the point still is that in today's world the most likely scenario is that cash will get you the food, shelter and transportation to get wherever it is you are going.
You still need your kits, at home, vehicle and workplace, but by far the most useful tool is still money. Thinking of recent events I'd say the thing that have come in more handy when something unexpected happened was the water I keep in my car, phone charger and spare set of clothes.
I have a crystal clear memeory of sitting in a taxi heading to the airport, leaving my country behind for good with my family and thinking that all I needed to be ok was in my pockets, what some people call the INCH kit (Im never coming home kit): the plane tickets, passports and cash. I could literally leave behind everything else and would be just fine.
You see people with these huge INCH kits, full of stuff. The only difference between those and mine is that I actually had to use mine. Not for a weekened camping trip, but to actually leave home and never come back.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it would be helpful to draw a distinction between a "get home bag" and a "bug out bag".
View Quote
Get home - bag/kit set up to get you home from X location.
Big out bag - bag /kit to get you from Point A to B. Example : your home to a dedicated BOL or evac during hurricane.

It's simple but folks get hung up on labels it seems.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
2. TP.   We have a roll in every vehicle's BOB. We take out the cardboard core, then use a Foodsaver to vacuum-pack the roll in a quart-sized bag. Makes nice compact, waterproof package. Of all the BOB components that end up getting called up for active duty, these have proven to be one of the more popular.
View Quote
Add to this, a few travel packages of Tucks and  you're good to go. Makes ALL activities nicer if you have a clean bum.

Also, rolled coins may be necessary to get some food from, say, a vending machine. Added to the mix of dollars you'll have, you can escape the common "Oh, we can't break a five dollar bill" syndrome that many mom & pop stores fall victim to in an emergency.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#9]
What are some good practical items that I should add? Any things to avoid?
View Quote
Food,water,shelter,protection.

A basic kit to evac with is smart.
Your on track for items.
But there Will be items you don't use. I always have a water filter and water bottles.
It doesn't get used if we're at the holiday inn. Lol.

I'm more in the "get home bag " camp. As I commute 80 miles a day.
Evac/bugging out is natural disaster dependent and off course there's always bugging out because cuban/south American/Russian para troopers land in my yard.

Stay away from gizmos and shit. Like tube tents...big knives,axes etc..clothing that screams dipshit. You don't need a shemgha in Florida ...for example to be in your bag . Well unless you wanna look cool at the continental breakfast bar in the lobby. Lmao.

If evac is the primary function of your kit focus on data back up, document storage. Cash. Personal protection. Maps and PRE PLANNED ROUTES.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are an untold number of bad things that can happen to you and almost all of them are worse in the dark.  A flashlight and a head lamp, together with a few GOOD batteries, are well worth the weight and space they take up in your bag.  I’m a big fan of the flexible fuel stuff that’s available out there (I like Streamlight) but any decent quality AA lights will cover 99.9999% of what you may need a light to do.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
It certainly would. 

Most people dont know the difference.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
What capabilities do you want to retain while going where you want to go? What would be useful and/or difficult to procure once you get there?

Answer these questions with your unique situation in mind and you'll be well on your way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Absolutely real.
I have backpacks in each car.  First aid kit, poncho, mylar blanket, gloves, pliers, knife, food, water, 550 cord, lighter, pen, paper, strobe.  Guns are always on me.  As seasons change, pack is adjusted.
View Quote
perfect exaple of thisVVV

Quoted:
I wonder if some people with "bug out bags" have realistic expectations for their use and pack the contents accordingly, or fantasize about a sudden societal breakdown or zombie apocalypse.  
View Quote

all that junk is gear for the shtf and trying to live from nothing. unrealistic expectations.

example: strobe you going be calling in air support or moving covert??

bags should be packed for the most likely event, shtf, walking from the ashes fantasies are virtually non-existent.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Fantasy for 90%
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Very realistic. My new townhome is about a quarter-mile from the railroad and a gasworks. Needing to evacuate on short notice for an industrial accident is quite plausible and not without precedent.

My BOB is geared more towards field work and camping; again, needing to respond to an incident on short notice in support of LE or SAR is quite likely with organizations I belong to.

I guess it's more of a 'get through the next 24-72hrs with no outside support' bag. Used it quite a bit on prospecting trips.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Point A to point B for realistic scenarios.  For most unrealistic you can modify add/ subtract a few items or load up a bigger pack if necessary.

For my bag, I want something fast and light, modular for a variety of scenarios to even include a family emergency.  I can grab it and know I will have the things I need for a short time, whether its staying at a family members house, hotel, or even in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the suggestions.  Lots of things I never thought of.  I wrote down a few of your suggestions.  I apologize for not quoting individuals below, but these came from a wide variety of folks:

Burst pipe/Flooded basement - Noted: Do not keep bag on the floor.

"I guess it's more of a 'get through the next 24-72hrs with no outside support' bag." - That's a good way of looking at it.

Bug out bag vs get home bag - Never thought of the latter.  Not as big of a deal here since I don't work far from home and could walk it if need be.

Keeping water in car - While this sounds like a good idea, how is it done? It gets crazy hot here and I don't relish the idea of plastic water bottles getting baked in the car day after day.

Phone charger - Excellent idea

Data backup - Another excellent idea for important docs/family photos.

Maps and PRE PLANNED ROUTES. - This really isn't necessary for where I live. unless I have to travel several hours by vehicle.  

Flashlight - Another excellent idea.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
why would I want to bug out?
all my shit is here
I've never understood the "bug out" mentality
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I quit worrying about it. We LIVE in our bug out location. Otherwise we are in the Motorhome with everything we need from water to weapons. The only issue is when we are simply in a vehicle away for an hour or a day. In that case I have plenty of stuff as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]
3 minutes without air... N95 or better mask... high intensity LED to see your way out.. eye protection if possible
30 minutes exposure to extreme environment...I'm not a big fan of Cody Lundin, but there is merit to the necessity to maintain 98.6F
3 days without water... you really don't want your kidneys to shut down
30 days without food
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I see some folks are a bit confused.
You cant LIVE in your bug out location. Bugging out means your current location is no longer viable and you have to go elsewhere.
Say you live in a cabin in the woods, possible bug out scenarios could be: wild fire, land slides, chem spills, industrial disasters, nuke plant meltdown, war or terrorist attacks, volcano eruption (yes, Ive actually seen this one, filled entire towns with ash thounsands of miles away) floods, just to name a few. Also, bugging out isnt optional, its mandatory. If fire is about to burn down your house, you dont get to choose if you bug out or not.
Then you have other potential scenarios in which you may have to relocate, say personal financial problems, socioeconomic downturn of the area, sickness forcing you closer to med centers, changes in your family, divorce.
These arent bug out scenarios but just changes in life that may force you to leave a place you thought you'd stay in forever. Happens pretty much every day to thousands of people.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#22]
This guy Shane wrote about his family fleeing hurricane Katrina. There is a blog, details, and worksheets here:

http://theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

Start by reading this.

The other poster was dead on with risk assessment of your area, your job, your town, and your neighbors.  YOU figure out what is likely to happen to you. Not some guy writing some article somewhere.

There is a good amount of reading in SF here to cover. Simple (keep your gas tank half full) to complex (how to navigate with night vision with a map).

Do simple first.

If you don't want to make yourself a toilet kit, they are available online:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M1BCJTC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Q6Q2FL0DB4IZ&colid=18PGW2M2H9DRA
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you mean the bag that people on YouTube think they will grab and go make a new comfy life in the woods and pretend like they are the only one with that idea? Yeah... that's about as fantasy as Kate upton taking me away to a tropical island and she forgot all her clothes.  Now a edc bag with a few hand items in case you are unable to get home for a day or two that's actually a good idea. And when I say useful items I don't mean a Ak and 600rds. I mean a USB battery bank to juice your phone a few times, meds if you take any. Maybe a simple boo boo/hygiene kit. And 32oz yeti of ice water (cause its hot as hell in FL)
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I see three real uses for such kits.  1. Real emergencies.  2. Daily life preparedness. 3. Going camping without having to pack!

For real emergencies, this is the "no support for 72hrs" concept.  There are certain things you need or want to be able to move on foot and stay alive without normal power/water/shelter, etc.
(quite a bit of overlap with camping gear...)  These events are rare, but storms happen.  Every year somebody dies after their car goes off the road and they can't cope for the day or two it takes for someone to notice.

For daily life, I like to keep things like an extra set of clothes, shoes, shave/toiletry kit, cash, "boo boo" first aid, etc.  I also keep a tool kit in the car.
Pants ripped while doing some light work?  No problem, I have another pair in the car!
Credit card reader not working?  I have cash.
Trip took longer than expected?  I can still wash up, change, and shave to look presentable.
New furniture from Ikea won't quite fit in the car?  Good thing I have rope to tie it to the roof!
Friend got stuck in a snow bank?  Don't call a tow truck, I have a shovel and a tow strap.

The emergency kit and the extra clothes also makes going camping pretty simple!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Bugging out is generally a fantasy.

Getting home is a real thing.

In the case of an actual catastrophe, if you are already home then stay home.

If you live somewhere that wouldn't be safe in the event of civil uprising, then MOVE.

If you think you will be getting to a distant bug-out-location in the event of an actual breakdown in civilization, I have news for you: It's not gonna happen.

ETA - The "SHTF" scenario I see talked about is usually civil unrest. As mentioned above, if you already live in the woods and there's a fire moving your way, then obviously "bugging out" is clearly your only option.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a number of different bags available, depending on the situation. My most used is my winter survival bag. I live in a very rural area and am critical staff at my hospital an hour away. In the winter, it wouldn't be unusual to be on a road at 11pm and not have another vehicle to come by for 7 hours. If I go off the road on my way home in one of the many cell dead spots on my route, I have some food, fluids, sleeping bag and E-blanket to keep warm, spare clothes in case I get wet trying to get unstuck, etc. This is in addition to the "vehicle extraction" kit and medical kits I keep in all my vehicles.

At home, I live in a place where a small flood blocks off the only two ways in or out. I have a get outta Dodge kit to last me a few days of work (mostly work clothes, cash, toiletries kit, etc.

I also have a pretty extensive kit for each of us to evacuate in case of something major like natural disaster. These are in military duffels as there is a lot in them. Dehydrated foods, water filters, tent, sleeping bag, saw, axe, cash, etc. Something for a much longer time away from home and possible camping out of the vehicles.

All of the kits have basic pocket knife, Gerber multi tools, spork, can openers, Lifestraw, etc., or upgrades to those.

There are also ARs for each of us in the Arfcom store covert cases, with associated ammo and mags, stored ready-to-go in the safe. Handguns and etc are mostly whatever is being carried and vehicle guns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Preaching to truth right here

Quoted:

Food,water,shelter,protection.

A basic kit to evac with is smart.
Your on track for items.
But there Will be items you don't use. I always have a water filter and water bottles.
It doesn't get used if we're at the holiday inn. Lol.

I'm more in the "get home bag " camp. As I commute 80 miles a day.
Evac/bugging out is natural disaster dependent and off course there's always bugging out because cuban/south American/Russian para troopers land in my yard.

Stay away from gizmos and shit. Like tube tents...big knives,axes etc..clothing that screams dipshit. You don't need a shemgha in Florida ...for example to be in your bag . Well unless you wanna look cool at the continental breakfast bar in the lobby. Lmao.

If evac is the primary function of your kit focus on data back up, document storage. Cash. Personal protection. Maps and PRE PLANNED ROUTES.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Just because others may approach it from a fantasy perspective, doesn't mean you have to.

What likely emergency situations do you foresee happening to you in your area, with your lifestyle (weather, work, commute, travel, family, kids, spouse, etc)?

Plan for the most likely, and work your way up from there.  A good 72 hour kit will get you ahead of 90% of the general pubic.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Bugging out to the woods to live permanently is a huge fantasy, but it is one that tends to fade with time and exposure to the realities of outdoor life.

Having a bag to evacuate your home is a reasonable precaution.

My get home bag is much more important to me since I travel for a living. I am not the kind of guy who goes to the super dome to be disarmed and cared for my incompetent politicians.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve been thinking about replying to this since you posted it.  Honestly, I’m hard pressed to think of anything I’ve ever packed in a bag that is more useful for the amount of space it takes up or the weight it adds.  Looking cool isn’t on my list of priorities and I may never actually wear the thing over my head but the dozens of other uses this thing has make it a no brainer.  I wouldn't be without one.  Anyone not familiar with it should take a few minutes and google “shemagh uses”.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Using your bug out bag to get home or to get you to a secondary fixed location is realistic. Unless (and perhaps even if) you are extremely proficient, using your bug out bag and living out of it in the woods long term is wishful thinking at best and suicide at worst.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I made *something* today.  Initial go with some clothes, toiletries, granola bars, and some first aid.  This is definitely going to be an iterative process.  The backpack is already full and there's not even any water in it yet.  I'll go through it another day and figure out what I really need and what I can get rid of.  At least I've got *something* now, though...right?  

In the mean time, I'm still wondering how to store water both in the bag and in the car.  Do you just use water bottles or is there something better that won't leach plastic into the water when it's stored in the vehicle at 100+ degrees?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I have two different kinds of bags:

"Airline lost my luggage or are incompetent boobs who can't get me out of the airport" bag - This happens frequently enough that I started carting a small backpack as a carry-on with the following:
- 3 Days change of basic clothes: undies, socks, and t-shirts.
- Toiletry kit: Toothpaste, toothbrush, razor, shave cream, soap, shampoo, conditioner, comb, contact lens solution and case
- 3 "meals" worth of Mountain House for when I don't want to leave the hotel I may get stuck in or stuck in the airport like those folks got stuck in Denver airport one winter
- 1.5L water bottle that I fill up once I get thru Theatrical Security Agency checkpoint
- Double thick "space" blanket
- Fresh wipes
- Hand sanitizer (which doubles as food warmer in a pinch)

I also travel with my laptop bag that has chargers, batteries, and snacks like nuts, bacon jerky , and beef sticks.

My other bag is more of a "survival" bag that has the basics of shelter, food, clothes, fire, water+water filter, ham radio HT, cash and a first aid kit. My idea is I want to be able to subsist for 3 days without outside support. The bag is light enough to be able to hoof it from work to home. If I was cross country, my plan would be to have enough stuff to drive back home with whatever rent car I had (like on 9/11 when all flights were grounded).

I've used my airline f-ed up bag numerous times over the last 5 years of traveling. Survival bag only once when I needed to get something out of it that I didn't have on a weekend vacation.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Pack realistically. Everyone’s setup is going to be a little different so setup yours so that it fits what you need. Figure out what events are most likely to happen, plan and pack for those first then you can add on depending on the event even if it means having a different bag for that event. Start with events like house/apartment fire, wildfires, tornadoes/hurricanes/flooding, etc… then work your way to civil unrest, terrorist attacks (remote/local), etc…. Like I said, everyone’s list is going to be slightly different depending on location and needs.

My wife and I have had to use both and they have been great to have. I’m always tweaking our bags as I get new stuff or as the seasons change. I try to keep everything rotated so everything stays clean, fresh, and ready. I have several different bags setup for different situations. I keep our bug out bags inside in the closet (for now) and our get home bags in our vehicles. My wife at first thought I was crazy, but sold her on it after she had to use it. Basically we were about to fall asleep when we were notified that a family member got into an accident. I was able to get decently dressed (clothes layed out for work) while the wife just grabbed her purse and we took off. He was okay but we wanted to take him to the ER just to make sure as the airbags did deploy. Well the wife said she wasn’t dressed to go inside. So I grabbed her bag from under the back seat and handed it to her. She saw the spare clothes and everything else packed and was able to change in the vehicle and run inside. That sold her on it. Another situation was Hurricane Matthew last year. We had to evacuate. I had read Shane’s- Listening to Katrina website several times so I already had a game plan in mind and put those into action.   Very good read with lots of good ideas- http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html   I also learned some things that I needed to tweak during the evacuation, which I'm currently working on.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#35]
It’s good to keep a gray man look/blend in as much as possible.
If you have a spouse and kids remember to pack and plan for them too.
Have stuff pre-placed if possible. (Home, vehicles, work, friends or family members house, etc….) You never know where you might be if something happens.
Have a plan of action for each event. Also communicate with other family and close friends so they know what’s going on. They can help you get information while you’re driving if they are out of harm’s way. They also like to know that you’re okay.
Phone chargers in each vehicle. USB battery pack charger in each bag charged along with charger for battery back and extra phone chargers. I also purchased a small portable jumpbox incase battery goes dead on one of our vehicles.
LED flashlights and LED headlamps with extra batteries or charger(s).
Data backup of important files/documents, pictures, phone numbers and addresses, maps/travel routes, etc….
Cash and a roll of quarters (Quarters are good for getting food/snacks/drinks from vending machines)
Personal hygiene items including a small hand towel
Life Straw water filter
Water bottle (I leave mine empty and fill it up when needed. I also leave a couple packets of “Emergen-C” in there too that I can add to the water.)
Food/snacks that don’t go bad fast then rotate them every couple months
Medication? First Aid Kit?
Rain coat and heavy duty trash bag(s) - Waterproof you and your bag. Having a couple zip-loc bags are good too.
Gloves
Multi-Tool
Knife
Notebook & Pen
Wet wipes
Sweatshirt (If it’s winter)
I keep an extra laptop bag next to my bug out bag that I can put my laptop and charger in and be ready to go. It has extra chargers, usb hub, usb laptop light, bible, etc….
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It’s good to keep a gray man look/blend in as much as possible.
If you have a spouse and kids remember to pack and plan for them too.
Have stuff pre-placed if possible. (Home, vehicles, work, friends or family members house, etc….) You never know where you might be if something happens.
Have a plan of action for each event. Also communicate with other family and close friends so they know what’s going on. They can help you get information while you’re driving if they are out of harm’s way. They also like to know that you’re okay.
Phone chargers in each vehicle. USB battery pack charger in each bag charged along with charger for battery back and extra phone chargers. I also purchased a small portable jumpbox incase battery goes dead on one of our vehicles.
LED flashlights and LED headlamps with extra batteries or charger(s).
Data backup of important files/documents, pictures, phone numbers and addresses, maps/travel routes, etc….
Cash and a roll of quarters (Quarters are good for getting food/snacks/drinks from vending machines)
Personal hygiene items including a small hand towel
Life Straw water filter
Water bottle (I leave mine empty and fill it up when needed. I also leave a couple packets of “Emergen-C” in there too that I can add to the water.)
Food/snacks that don’t go bad fast then rotate them every couple months
Medication? First Aid Kit?
Rain coat and heavy duty trash bag(s) - Waterproof you and your bag. Having a couple zip-loc bags are good too.
Gloves
Multi-Tool
Knife
Notebook & Pen
Wet wipes
Sweatshirt (If it’s winter)
I keep an extra laptop bag next to my bug out bag that I can put my laptop and charger in and be ready to go. It has extra chargers, usb hub, usb laptop light, bible, etc….
View Quote
This is the best list I've read yet.  I should throw some trash bags and a hand towel in there.  Got the wet wipes (daughter in diapers), diapers, and Bible (pocket NT to save space), small knife and multi-tool, notebook and pen.  No wonder there's no room for water.  Like I said, I'm probably going to have to repack it a few times to pare down things.  I took the advice of somebody above and put a couple of rolls of TP in there.  Might need to rethink that..it takes a lot of space even squished down.  Maybe I'll borrow some of the daughter's wipes if it comes to that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, I made *something* today.  Initial go with some clothes, toiletries, granola bars, and some first aid.  This is definitely going to be an iterative process.  The backpack is already full and there's not even any water in it yet.  I'll go through it another day and figure out what I really need and what I can get rid of.  At least I've got *something* now, though...right?  

In the mean time, I'm still wondering how to store water both in the bag and in the car.  Do you just use water bottles or is there something better that won't leach plastic into the water when it's stored in the vehicle at 100+ degrees?
View Quote
I fill door pockets with water bottles for longer trips.  Then I move whats left when I get back, into the freezer, and use them for cold packs for whatever reason.  Then I drink them.  Re-stocking as needed.

I have had a few bottles that tasted bad, but I think those were in my car two years with two summers.

If you open one and sip off it for a week in the car, you consume them faster than they go bad.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I would have a bug out bag dedicated for your daughter. I’m sure you already carry stuff for her everywhere you go so I wouldn’t keep it in the vehicle all the time, but I’d keep it with your bug out bags. Keep spare clothing, food/snacks, bottles (if still using a bottle), diapers, wet wipes, toys, etc… Then when you have to run with it if possible toss some cold drinks in it for her and run. Then whoever has the daughter the other can grab her bag too.

I keep a roll of TP in a zip lock bag and a roll of paper towels under the back seat of my truck. I also have wet wipes and hand sanitizer in the center console. Keeps the bag lighter and still easy to grab if needed. I’d do wet wipes over TP, but that’s just me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I agree @OP in this case. My bug out bag is a maxpedition versipak with essentials most likely needed for a fire or weather emergency. some cash, copies of credit card and important papers, some diapers, 2 bottles of water, copies of the car and truck keys, lights, basic first aid, coffee candies and power bars, and some spare ammo for anything I would use as an HD gun. It's basically a "make life tolerable for 4 hours or get me somewhere better" bag.
If I could only grab one thing to leave with in a storm or fire, it's that. Here in North Texas we get solid severe storms. This bag gets slung, I put on boots and an extra flashlight goes in the pocket. rifle usually nearby but pretty sure it won't be useful against weather (Spin off What round for a Tornado Thread?)

That has enough to get me to the truck, which has a more significant set up. same idea but more food, water, firepower. I'm also working on keeping spare clothes and shoes in there, as leaving in the middle of the night would leave me grossly naked.

If I really had to leave the house for the apocalypse I would have time to get my full sized bag, throw some clothes and more stuff in there, and get out of dodge.

my honest risk assessment is that I'm more likely to have a local problem (fire/flooded house from pipes breaking/break in/tornado) than anything global. realistically I'll need to get my ass to a hotel, and there should be one within a 10 minute drive to an unaffected area.

I have an 18 month old. my days of jet setting without time to pack toothpaste are wayyyyyyyy past. it takes 15 minutes to gear up for a trip to the grocery store...
View Quote
I know your pain. I have a 20 month old and a 7 month old.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would have a bug out bag dedicated for your daughter. I’m sure you already carry stuff for her everywhere you go so I wouldn’t keep it in the vehicle all the time, but I’d keep it with your bug out bags. Keep spare clothing, food/snacks, bottles (if still using a bottle), diapers, wet wipes, toys, etc… Then when you have to run with it if possible toss some cold drinks in it for her and run. Then whoever has the daughter the other can grab her bag too.

I keep a roll of TP in a zip lock bag and a roll of paper towels under the back seat of my truck. I also have wet wipes and hand sanitizer in the center console. Keeps the bag lighter and still easy to grab if needed. I’d do wet wipes over TP, but that’s just me.
View Quote
We already have a diaper bag that stays in whichever vehicle has the car seat.  It's equipped with diapers, wipes, a change of clothes for the daughter, and hand sanitizer.  I need to keep some cleaning supplies in there, too....stomach bugs are nasty business when you're nowhere near home.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
all my shit is here
View Quote
extended power outage, imminent flood, fire, tornado...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#42]
My bag has shrunk a lot over the years as i have gotten older and my situation has changed. I basically have enough supplies to last me 3 days, plus IFAK, fire, water filter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Didn't read the thread.

Snacks, water, $500 in cash and a folding knife.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#44]
If SHTF , I won't need quarters for the vending machine
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Didn't read the thread.

Snacks, water, $500 in cash and a folding knife.
View Quote
Toilet Paper doesn't add much weight, baby wipes , hand antiseptic  

I'm making up another bag as I'm typing
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
all my shit is here
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
all my shit is here
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23561/IMG_3372-292884.JPG
Pure fantasy.....
There's no way a bag(or other container of choice ) would be useful during the events in Houston. I read it on the net......
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Toilet Paper doesn't add much weight, baby wipes , hand antiseptic  

I'm making up another bag as I'm typing
View Quote
Yeah that too.

Toiletries are a good idea. You might not be forced from your home by a storm but if you have too many beers at dinner and crash at your friends house a toothbrush would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Pure fantasy.....
There's no way a bag(or other container of choice ) would be useful during the events in Houston. I read it on the net......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
all my shit is here
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23561/IMG_3372-292884.JPG
Pure fantasy.....
Really?   I was thinking the opposite.   For one thing, most of the items in my bag are in zip lock bags (including clothes and towel) so I am comfortable that my bag would float.    So assuming that I had to swim for it I would have dry clothes (mostly) once out of the water.   The food and water in my bag (a couple of days worth) would keep me going long enough to get to a shelter or better.  The cash could get me a hotel room for a couple of nights if one was available.   GPS, Compass, and maps (topographical) would help me pick routes with the highest elevation, might even help me predict the direction of water flow.    Extra ziplock bags would help me keep my cell phone dry.   Extra battery packs could help me recharge my cell phone on the go. Hard copies of contact information (laminated) would allow me to update family of status once an opportunity arose if my cell didn't make it.    These items don't cover EVERY scenario that I have read about but it could make a difference in a number of them.  

As always YMMV

Or do I need to calibrate me sarcasm meter?

2Hut8
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#50]
The ultimate purpose of a BOB is to not be a refugee left with only the clothes on your back. You could be leaving home in a hurry, or caught away from home in a time of unforeseen disaster.
No one who's read up on the topic is claiming that a BOB is an INCH bag.
A few creature comforts can help you survive in conditions that might at least be very bleak or at their worst, life-threatening.
Who are we to criticize those who, unlike most of our fellow citizens, actually have the foresight to make some plans for such an occurrence.
Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top