Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I like Mach have been following pandemic flu threats for years.

Here are the mask I stocked up on N-95 with exhalation valve. If you have to wear a mask for long periods the valve helps, a wet mask is not good. Moldex brands have a small size for kids that works well.

I hope this is not really happening, from the table top exercises I have done it would be really bad for us. As a Firefighter/EMR I would have many exposure points, but then again I work in a hospital so, I hope it burns it's self out.

Shows as out of stock.

Plenty on Amazon FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Stock up on OTC meds for fever,flu, cold,etc. Tamiflu if you can get it, in case it works and it comes here.

Will be watching and topping things off, let the mask hoarding begin.

If this is really as bad as I think it could get and is HTH, millions, maybe hundreds of millions will die.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a bunch of 3M masks I bought at 3M company store.  Not blue green medical but still N95 series.  

3M N95 masks
Quoted:
What's a decent mask just in case? An amazon link would be most helpful...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Is any n95 sufficient?

Flu virus does not float around in the air by itself. It is embedded in mucous droplets from coughing and sneezing. N95 will block those mucous droplets fom being inhaled.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are the mask I stocked up on N-95 with exhalation valve. If you have to wear a mask for long periods the valve helps, a wet mask is not good. Moldex brands have a small size for kids that works well.

I hope this is not really happening, from the table top exercises I have done it would be really bad for us. As a Firefighter/EMR I would have many exposure points, but then again I work in a hospital so, I hope it burns it's self out.

Shows as out of stock.

Plenty on Amazon FWIW.

Home depot carries the 3M brand. So does Lowes. By them by the 20 count box, they are much cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want tamiflu but your doc will not give you a script, go to a travel medical place. Tell them you are going to china or Mexico on vacation and will be aware from western meal care and want to bring Tamilu with you. They will write and script and give it to you right then and there. It is pricey though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shows as out of stock.

Plenty on Amazon FWIW.

Home depot carries the 3M brand. So does Lowes. By them by the 20 count box, they are much cheaper that way.

That is where I usually get them too. Last flu outbreak/scare, they were one of the few places that had them in stock.

I occasionally have to crawl around in attics as part of my job so I always have a couple in my truck, and a few stashed away.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought stocked up on vitamin c, gloves, and have masks on order with Amazon. I've been meaning to get stocked up on this stuff for a while, this is as good a reason as any...

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Something else folks might want to consider as a preventative aid is to use some UVC lamps in your home.

Commonly called 'germicidal lamps'.

Careful -UVC is very shortwave ultraviolet and will damage your eyes and skin if the exposure is prolonged.

These lamps are simple fluorescent tubes that will work with common appropriate ballasts available at hardware stores.

They have quartz glass envelopes that pass the short UV,--regular glass strongly attenuates the light.

Prices can be as low as a few $$$ on ebay up to ripoff prices. Try buying one and fit it to a ballast to get started.

I bought a bunch ~2006 and subsequently put them in HVAC ducts to reduce allergies to pollen or spores, whatever. Worked....

These tubes can be used many ways to combat a virus that may be of concern. From personal positive pressure breathing apparatus, even home made, --to vehicle and whole home or sick room use.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=uvc+lamps&_sacat=0&_from=R40

They do create ozone so breathing UVC treated air right afterwards in some sort of PP breathing apparatus prolly isn't a good idea.

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been meaning to do it anyway, so I just stocked up on a couple boxes each of: adult N-95 masks, kids masks, gloves and gowns.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Where did you get the kids masks?

Are masks generally used for the people who are sick, or the ones who are healthy?

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are masks generally used for the people who are sick, or the ones who are healthy?

Amazon.  Here  They don't look like true n-95 masks, rather exam masks, however, they are a hell of a lot better than no masks IMHO.  
I actually placed the whole order on Amazon.  I find that the prices there are always close on this sort of stuff, I get free 2 day shipping, and all my shipments come in boxes stamped amazon, not OMG PANDEMIC END OF THE WORLD SUPPLY.com.  Helps with the OPSEC in my mind.

The basic idea to me is that they are for the healthy ppl to prevent one of us from becoming sick in the event of a pandemic.  I by no means have a perfect plan, but rather a super basic one to build off of.  I really do think that one of these years, something like this is going to end up going bad, really bad.  Which probably means I need to develop a more specific, in depth educated plan.  Anyone got one of those laying around?
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can't get Tamiflu, at least get some Sambucol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Two more reported today, ABC new death toll rises  to 13
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
61 confirmed cases in China

A 4 year old boy  is the first confirmed asymptomatic case suggesting there could  be many more.

Link
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A 4 year old boy  is the first confirmed symptomatic case suggesting there could  be many more.

Link

Mach, typo...  Asymptomatic...

Before the pile on...

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

Asymptomatic

Is that good or bad?

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Asymptomatic

Is that good or bad?

Depends if you've caught it or not.

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
good info here been a member for many years.

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/index.php
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A 4 year old boy  is the first confirmed asymptomatic case suggesting there could  be many more.

Link

i dont care for Neiman i think he is more interested in selling his biz. If i remember he go booted off a sight

a few years ago.

everything he posts is a "serious concern"

just my 2cents check him out and make your own decision.

Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I love a good 'shoot the messenger' post...

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Asymptomatic

Is that good or bad?

An asyptomatic case could me a false positive test
Or it could mean there are more cases with no or mild symptoms meaning it is more widespread but passing H2H and more adapted to the human host. In other words a pandemic is probable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

i dont care for Neiman i think he is more interested in selling his biz. If i remember he go booted off a sight

a few years ago.

everything he posts is a "serious concern"

just my 2cents check him out and make your own decision.

He has been spot on over the years. He is controversial because he tells it like it is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 2:29:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Symptom Free 4-year old h7n9 positive kid linked to 7-yr old girl

"The boy’s parents are poultry and fish sellers, and their neighbors across the street had bought chicken sold by the family of a 7- year-old girl whose H7N9 infection was reported two days ago. "
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:06:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You wear N-95s to prevent getting sick.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:17:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"The boy’s parents are poultry and fish sellers, and their neighbors across the street had bought chicken sold by the family of a 7- year-old girl whose H7N9 infection was reported two days ago. "

"Her positive response shows that early treatment with proper anti-viral medication can be effective, Michael O’Leary, WHO’s China representative, told reporters in Beijing yesterday."

That's good maybe!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Her positive response shows that early treatment with proper anti-viral medication can be effective, Michael O’Leary, WHO’s China representative, told reporters in Beijing yesterday."

That's good maybe!

But then this article says that all of her dad's chickens were tested, as were the chickens from the same source he purchased some of his stock from, and none were found to be infected.  So where did she get it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Hmm.
Link
"Dutch virologist Ron Fouchier told CNN that this mutation in mice makes the disease up to 1,000 times more virulent. He believes that several other mutations present mean that the virus is not actually a bird flu. “Known normal bird viruses have to adapt substantially to infect people, but not these,” he said."
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good maybe!

But then this article says that all of her dad's chickens were tested, as were the chickens from the same source he purchased some of his stock from, and none were found to be infected.  So where did she get it?

5600 samples taken from Chinese bird markets all came back negative also.

It is either coming from another common source like rodents or fish or it is spreading H2H.

Chickens are the primary exposure to animals in china. If it is not chickens, then IMO it is most likely H2H
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hmm.
Link
"Dutch virologist Ron Fouchier told CNN that this mutation in mice makes the disease up to 1,000 times more virulent. He believes that several other mutations present mean that the virus is not actually a bird flu. “Known normal bird viruses have to adapt substantially to infect people, but not these,” he said."

Either that or it adapted a long time ago and just mutated and became more virulent.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I hope it turns out to be a bird flu, and not being transmitted by mice or something.  The way I look at it, you can pretty much avoid poultry with little effort i.e. avoid direct contact with chickens & ducks etc in markets, and then for accidental contact like with pigeons or wild birds just be a little extra careful and practice more vigilant hygiene.  As far as transporting the actual source animals from one place to another (besides migratory birds), you can just not do it.  If it's rodent vermin, those little bastards are everywhere - including every container ship that circles the globe.  They also breed faster than any other possible carrier, and despite our efforts over hundreds of years, impossible to fully eradicate.  I would guess that probably greater than 75% of places that people routinely visit, no matter how clean and tidy, have rodents present - basically any place with a dumpster out back.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good maybe!

5600 samples taken from Chinese bird markets all came back negative also.

It is either coming from another common source like rodents or fish or it is spreading H2H.

Chickens are the primary exposure to animals in china. If it is not chickens, then IMO it is most likely H2H

Either prospect is utterly frightening (H2H being the worst).

If this is asymptomatic for as long as it seems to be and easily H2H, we are in deep, deep trouble. That could put this worldwide already and no one knows yet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Hmmm...time to retrieve my N95's from the ex's place.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#33]
"WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl confirmed that "there are people who have no history of contact with poultry", after a top Chinese scientist was quoted as saying about 40 percent of those with the H7N9 flu had had no such contact."

Article .........
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Scary articles on Recombonics as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#35]
50 disposable isolation gowns with fluid resistance, 120 n-95 masks, 75 pediatric masks, 2 boxes of gloves all showed up at my doorstep about a half hour ago to supplement what I already had.  Meant to do this last year, but hey, now is as good a time as ever.  Putting them away in a medical chest with a shit ton of lysol until they are needed.  Hopefully, it is no time soon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
50 disposable isolation gowns with fluid resistance, 120 n-95 masks, 75 pediatric masks, 2 boxes of gloves all showed up at my doorstep about a half hour ago to supplement what I already had.  Meant to do this last year, but hey, now is as good a time as ever.  Putting them away in a medical chest with a shit ton of lysol until they are needed.  Hopefully, it is no time soon.

Why so many masks?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so many masks?

the masks are disposible, not made for indefinate use.  The mask should be replaced after every potential exposure and/or when its too dirty or damp (think breathing) to perform.  In a true "pandemic" an individual would burn through 120 masks in no time, a family even quicker.

since the job of the mask is to filter particles before then enter your mouth, the outside of the mask will have particles on it, if present.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why so many masks?

A) first line of defense against droplet infection.  
B) I use them to when I mow the lawn or when I do any work out in the back field during the summer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#39]
New US News article states Chinese government openly speculating on human to human transmission.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
New US News article states Chinese government openly speculating on human to human transmission.

Link

The World Health Organization has said some of those who have contracted the virus have had "no history of contact with poultry," and the state-run China Daily newspaper says a boy in Shanghai may have caught the disease from his brother.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

The World Health Organization has said some of those who have contracted the virus have had "no history of contact with poultry," and the state-run China Daily newspaper says a boy in Shanghai may have caught the disease from his brother.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Also, threat assessment?  For general CONUS population vs. "I'm
pretty severely immune-compromised, and I'm supposed to be in Shanghai
next month.  Should I find a reason not to go?"

Quoted:

Not cancelling my flights...  yet.

Starting to rethink this...

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Guess its time to make those final purchases...
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, threat assessment?  For general CONUS population vs. "I'm pretty severely immune-compromised, and I'm supposed to be in Shanghai next month.  Should I find a reason not to go?"
Quoted:
Not cancelling my flights...  yet.

Starting to rethink this...

Slice, if the tickets aren't for many months from now I wouldn't sweat it.

Besides, if it goes H2H, the ticket price is prolly the last of your worries and they'll prolly give refunds.

Link Posted: 4/19/2013 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#45]
"CDC tells US doctors to watch for H7N9 bird flu from China"

Article ....

---------------------------------

Update: I just ordered 4 half facepiece respirators (the full face was too damn expensive), bunch of P100 and N95 cartridges and a bunch of N96 masks.  It was time!
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Besides, if it goes H2H, the ticket price is prolly the last of your worries and they'll prolly give refunds.

Business trip in may, and didn't want to go before this started...

Link Posted: 4/19/2013 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Business trip in may, and didn't want to go before this started...

I'm traveling after you and don't really want to go...

But I'm goin anyhoo...

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#48]
When you get on the flight to china and 90% of the Chinese nationals are wearing masks, don't freak the fuck out, they always do.

But they do so for good reason.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#49]
"About 100 human H7N9 bird flu cases are estimated to have gone undetected on the mainland, according to university researchers who based the projection on people's rate of exposure to poultry in markets"

Article ....
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Chinese confirm that H7N9 has spread to Shandong province which is just West of South Korea on the coast.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top