Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:38:59 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting a generator this size for the camper and other uses.
I'm also working on a completely unrelated deal w/ a guy who happens to be a Honda genny dealer.  Up until now I was going to go w/ the $500 Champion inverter genny from Sams, but I got him to agree to sell me one of the Honda's at his cost if the rest of the deal goes thru.  That's a substantial savings over any price I've ever seen it available, but still a bit more than the Champion.
Is the Honda worth a few extra $?  I doubt many people have both, but I figured I'd ask y'all's opinion...
Poll inbound.
Thanks,

-Slice

Update:  

I brought home the Honda today.  it's a really nice machine.  Need to put together a list of dedicated tools and spare parts to keep w/ it (suggestions?), and get one of those hour meters.  It Will power the A/C in the camper, but I need to start it up on low fan, then low cool, then high cool.  I can live w/ that!

I hope to run it enough to get the break-in oil out of it in the next month.  For what I see them for online, I damn-near stole it.  If these things are as good as you guys say, then I couldn't be happier.  Thanks for all the input.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
We went with two of the Hondas.  I think it was $ well spent.  Better machines and cleaner power.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive got many gennys.

From a $4500 Honda 6500 Inverter down to the cheapo Champions...and other Chinese off-brands....and everything in between.

I prep....but I own a construction company.....and I RV....so I have many uses.....

I believe the Hondas are worth the extra costs....which can be substantial extra costs...

Better everything... Takes more abuse... Lasts longer..... And a lot is riding on a genny in any situation..... So it's worth the investment....

Look to save money elsewhere....and buy the Honda...ESPECIALLY with the inside deal you have working there!
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can get the Honda for just a little more?  Hell yeah.  Worth it for the resale value alone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 3:47:56 AM EDT
[#4]
My Honda EU2000i has been the best little power maker I have ever owned. Its very quiet, it seems to run forever on 1 gallon of fuel. A tornado tore my town up in 2008. I kept two freezers and my fridge going for a week.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend who owned the local do all shop/pawn shop had a guy come in and sell him a Honda guy said it was junk and stopped working on him after one year. Friend bought it for $100 even gave my friend the box and proof of date he bought it and yes it was one year and two weeks. My friend took the Honda apart looked how many hours it had been run around 9,096 hours it had been run comes out to 24 hours a day for a year and two weeks. So he drained the oil and replaced the filter on the Honda and just for SAG turned it on to see if it would work. It started right up no problem!

Guy ran this 24/7 and never changed the oil in it and never replaced the oil that's why it stopped working! After me seeing that as I was there when he bought it made me a Honda fan for generators! Also kick myself in the a$$ because my friend told me before he got it working he would sell it to me for $105 and I said No way! They are great generators small and quite even the larger one's I was buy a guy at a farmers market who was selling beef and had the larger Honda going for his cooler could not hear it until I got next to it.

Can't wait until I have enough stock to say I need a generator it will be Honda all the way!
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#6]
this is not even close

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I currently have a Champion because I'm broke as hell.  I haven't "needed" it in the ~ 3 years I've had it, though I make it a point to fire it up every 4-6 weeks and run something (circular saw, usually, for house projects) from it just to make sure all is in working order.  If I could afford it, I would gladly add a Honda (or twelve ) to the stable and relegate the Champion to backup duty.  Good luck on the good deal!
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have A Champion Non inverter and it works great does the job. I have only been around a Honda.

Getting a deal and money not so much of a consideration, i would get the Honda for sure.

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
On my second Honda inverter, first was the 1k, sold it for the 2nd which is 2k. LOVE it, its like my lil security blanket, after Katrina we ran a fridge, a 50" plasma tv, direct tv stb, and a small fan. We were cool, informed, and had good food to eat. If anything I would buy one more only to run a small window a/c unit for our bedroom at night for sleeping. NOTHING beats Honda in portable generators, IMHO
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Whichever one you get, I would strongly suggest an inductive hour/rpm meter. Makes oil changes and maintenance a snap

Here is a meter on one of my Hondas:

SenDEC meter at Cabelas
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#11]
like comparing a BMW to a Tata

ETA: I have a Yamaha

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Whichever one you get, I would strongly suggest an inductive hour/rpm meter. Makes oil changes and maintenance a snap

Here is a meter on one of my Hondas:
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/honda_meter.jpg

SenDEC meter at Cabelas

Good info, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Honda.

Slice if you have a roof a/c on the RV it is iffy on whether a 2k will run it. My Arctic Fox Cabover has one of the newer roof a/c's that don't put quite the starting load on the genny...My EU2000 will run it.
It won't fire up the older a/c on my sister's 5'er...and they are the same BTU rating. Just some more stuff to think about.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the Honda worth a few extra $?

Yep. The 2KW Honda is continuously rated at 1800 watts - The 2KW Champion is continuously rated at 1600 watts.

Resale value of the Honda will be much better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Honda EU2000i has been the best little power maker I have ever owned. Its very quiet, it seems to run forever on 1 gallon of fuel. A tornado tore my town up in 2008. I kept two freezers and my fridge going for a week.

Jim

I also have an EU2000.  It has been a great generator.  However, I have two issues with it.  It will not start even a small electric air compressor at 90 psi.  It will start it at 0 and raise it to 120, but it does not have the power to restart the compressor when it is under pressure.

This is one of the things I bought it to run.  I am disappointed in this regard, but other than that it is great.  The second issue is It should also come with an hour meter.  It didn't, and I put one on, but it should have come that way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys.  I kind of figured it was going to go this way, but you never know until you ask...

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ive got many gennys.

From a $4500 Honda 6500 Inverter down to the cheapo Champions...and other Chinese off-brands....and everything in between.

I prep....but I own a construction company.....and I RV....so I have many uses.....

I believe the Hondas are worth the extra costs....which can be substantial extra costs...

Better everything... Takes more abuse... Lasts longer..... And a lot is riding on a genny in any situation..... So it's worth the investment....

Look to save money elsewhere....and buy the Honda...ESPECIALLY with the inside deal you have working there!

I almost thought I already posted in this thread. But yes to the above. I'm in demolition construction. I have three genies on four jobs this week. The toy hauler has a 4000 built in, but I like the Honda 2000 better. Much quiter and uses less fuel. The Honda EU7000is is for the house back up power. It will run every light, fan, tv, micro, and all the fridges at the same time.

My bigget generator is a Cat XQ80. It pushes 80 kw with a four cylinder tubo diesel. It will power the whole block but uses 3 gallons an hour. It hurts to fuel it's 270 gallon tank with diesel. It's used to power some specialty demolition equipment.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Call me the dissenting opinion here.  In true SF fashion I believe 2 is 1, 1 is none.  I have a Champion 7250/9000 from Costco.  Its intended use is to keep my fridge and freezers powered, with some left over for other uses.  At its $700 price point I figure that if I can get 100 intermittent hours out of it It saves me the cost of the 1/2 beef, the 1.5 hogs, the venison, and all the rest in cold storage.

I also have a Honda EU2000.  Its primary use is for, well, everything else.  It powers my camper as long as I don't go overboard with powering on stuff.  Its light, it sips fuel, and is bulletproof.  I could have gone with 2 Hondas for another few hundred dollars, but wouldn't have had the aggregate capacity I do now.  All that being said, when the Champion conks out I plan on replacing the Chonda engine with a real Honda.  My research seems to suggest the keyways are the same, and all it should take is an alteration of the engine mount.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Call me the dissenting opinion here.  In true SF fashion I believe 2 is 1, 1 is none.  I have a Champion 7250/9000 from Costco.  Its intended use is to keep my fridge and freezers powered, with some left over for other uses.  At its $700 price point I figure that if I can get 100 intermittent hours out of it It saves me the cost of the 1/2 beef, the 1.5 hogs, the venison, and all the rest in cold storage.

I also have a Honda EU2000.  Its primary use is for, well, everything else.  It powers my camper as long as I don't go overboard with powering on stuff.  Its light, it sips fuel, and is bulletproof.  I could have gone with 2 Hondas for another few hundred dollars, but wouldn't have had the aggregate capacity I do now.  All that being said, when the Champion conks out I plan on replacing the Chonda engine with a real Honda.  My research seems to suggest the keyways are the same, and all it should take is an alteration of the engine mount.

IMO, that's a solid strategy.

In just about any long-term power outage where a limited fuel supply exists, most of your long-run loads are going to be relatively small loads - The big loads only get operated infrequently, and for relatively short periods of time.

In this environment, a large generator that only sees limited use doesn't require the same long-term durability as a small generator that operates a lot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#21]
This won't be our only one.  We've got a 5kw non-inverter genny also.  This is the more portable, light load option we're missing...

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#22]
My next Genny will be a Honda.

Currently I have a Champion 4500w that I paid $299.00 for delivered from Tractor Supply Company.

I ran two Fridge/Freezers, a battery charging station, a couple of lamps, a TV, a computer, and two fans for about an hour. That's the only load I have put on it so far, and I only ran it for about an hour so I don't know what the actual fuel consumption is.

YMMV

BTW CJan_NH: Thanks for the info on the Tach and Hour Meter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Agreed, thanks for that.

Is the tach necessary?  I don't know that I care the engine RPM's –– do I?

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, thanks for that.

Knowing the RPMs is awfully handy for diagnostic purposes, as well as running with the eco throttle turned on (which you will do most of the time for max endurance). Because the 2000i is so quiet at idle, sometimes it's hard to differentiate between low idle and a faster idle. The tach takes the guesswork out of that When I run mine (either individually or paired up) I try to keep the load light enough to keep the unit(s) throttled down. This will drastically lower your noise footprint-particularly at night. The other upside is the run time. It will amaze you how long one of these will run on a single gallon of gas. There are currently four gensets in my household: the pair of 2000is, a Honda EB2500XK1, and a Honda EB5000XK1. The 2000s have rendered the two EB industrial models all but obsolete. Between the quiet operation and the fuel savings it's an easy choice for me.

ETA: Slice, if you end up buying the Honda here is a startup and operation checklist I created for mine. I keep a laminated copy specific to each genset I own. It's very handy to have if a non-technical person is forced to run the genset in your absence-or when you're bleary eyed at 2AM and the power goes out. Feel free to download the PDF, modify as needed, and make it your own

PDF download link
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got both and the Honda is better in every way.  The Champion is no junk, but just not as good as the Honda.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I like Honda, but I have two champion inverters for the price of the Honda. If the difference was only $100 I would have gone the other way. As it stands the champion made more sence on my tight budget.

The champions kick ass for the money.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a cheap Champion generator 5 years ago. It started once and refused to start again.  Returned it to the store. I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things.
Honda makes crappy cars but they make good small engines. Bought a small EU1000 generator to power my camper. It runs well and I keep it as a back up power source for my HAM radio.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I bought a cheap Champion generator 5 years ago. It started once and refused to start again.  Returned it to the store. I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things.
Honda makes crappy cars but they make good small engines. Bought a small EU1000 generator to power my camper. It runs well and I keep it as a back up power source for my HAM radio.

Don't mean to hijack, but since Slice is a ham too hopefully he won't mind

When you run your ham rig off of your Honda are there any interference issues? If so, how do you overcome them? Do you run your power supply directly into the genset? Is your power supply a switcher or a linear?

My power supply is an Alinco switcher (DM-330MV I think) and I've often wondered if there would be any issues running my Icom IC-7000 or IC-F2821 from the Alinco when plugged into a Honda.

Thank you in advance for your expertise, and I'm sorry Slice...I couldn't help myself

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#29]
No worries CJan –– I'd love to hear the answer.  If I end up w/ this thing, I'm considering boondocking it for field day this year...

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks brother
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I look at generators the way I see snow blowers. When I need it I don't want it to fail.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I look at generators the way I see snow blowers. When I need it I don't want it to fail.

Obvious generalization is obvious.

All essential items need to be tested before they're needed. In the case of generators, they need to be tested on a regular basis.

If a generator works reliably during routine tests, there's no reason not to expect it to work reliably during an emergency.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#33]

All essential items need to be tested before they're needed. In the case of generators, they need to be tested on a regular basis.

If a generator works reliably during routine tests, there's no reason not to expect it to work reliably during an emergency.

Amen to that...

That's how I found my generator had a problem. Did not provide the full wattage for some reason

Better have it fix prior any emergency.

Go with the Honda if you can afford it. Otherwise, life is just a matter of compromise....
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I voted champion because thats the one I personally own although the hondas are sort of the gold standard for generators.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like Honda, but I have two champion inverters for the price of the Honda. If the difference was only $100 I would have gone the other way. As it stands the champion made more sence on my tight budget.

The champions kick ass for the money.

Well said, Hard to beat logic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I have 2 champions with the parallel kit. I love them. 10 hours on one and 2 hours on the other so far. They will run my electric chain saw and circular saw and are very quiet.

But if I could have bought the Hondas for close to the same I would have got the Honda.
I think the biggest consideration is if it breaks what do you do? If you want a service center to fix it' A Honda dealer is close to all of us I'm sure. I have never seen a champion repair center. But I fix all my stuff and usually buy it all ready broke so not a big deal to me.

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Update in OP

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I just bought a Honda Eu3000 from Camping World last month for my travel trailer. Like you I was looking at the Champion, Honda and other makes as well. I was on a budget and wanted something affordable but "reasonably quiet". The Champion definitly was cheaper, but reliabilty wasn't there so we decided to go with the Honda for a few reasons. The biggest one was the dB (decibel) rating. The salesperson fired up the Champion right there in the store and it wasn't real noisy, but it wasn't quiet also the generator unit itself was loud. Then he fired up the Honda and I was amazed I could actually talk to my wife in a normal tone standing 4 feet away from it. So in short you can save money up front and get an ok product or spend a little more $$ upfront and have a Superior product that will last you a lifetime. SInce you want to use this camping also you should look at the decibel rating allowed by each campsite. Most places require at least 72 or 74 dB aT A MINIMUM at 20ft. Go with a Honda...

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, thanks for that.

The tach function isn't but it's nice to know the hrs. That said we have several H's and don't use an hr mtr, just change the oil w/ syn when I feel like it.

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So in short you can save money up front and get an ok product or spend a little more $$ upfront and have a Superior product

Where are you buying 3 KW Honda inverter generators for just "a little more" than 2KW Champions?
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So in short you can save money up front and get an ok product or spend a little more $$ upfront and have a Superior product

Where are you buying 3 KW Honda inverter generators for just "a little more" than 2KW Champions?

EU3000 cost us ~$1900 in 2003.

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's orders of magnitude from anything I've seen.  Would also like to know...

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought a Honda 2000 last year and love it. We lost power here for 8 days last year and it ran the furnace (oil fired), fridge/freezer, almost all the lights downstairs and 2 lights on the 2nd floor. Now the lights would dim a little when the fridge kicked on but it ran great. That being said though I found it tough to get gasoline as there was no power everywhere and I went through the 20 gal. I had on stock keeping the new groceries we got cold. I found myself looking at my oil tank which I had just filled saying "if I only had a diesel generator". So that would be my only advice if you have oil heat, I am currently looking for one that would suit my needs. The Honda is great though and will remain my backup/camping generator.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't think you were listening to a Champion eu2000i Inverter genny. I can easily talk on my cell phone while sitting on it, and from 30 feet you can't tell it is on.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Good score on the Honda!  As to hour meter...I seem to remember something in the OM about there being some rought readout of number of hours based on how many indicator lights lite up???  A regular hour meter would be better and is on my "need" list.  Until then I have a notebook for each generator to note how much it ran and what I've done to it.  Spark plugs, spark arrestor screen, air filter, gas and oil caps, are on my need to get list.  I bought a small tool bag so I can keep all these goodies together with some oil and tools.

The local stores charge full $$ for all Honda stuff; no sales, no discounts. There are some web places that seem to have much better prices.  Also, someone has the shop manual on line at a reasonable price.  Have to do your own web search.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#46]
I voted for the Honda.  Have an EU2000i and an EU2000i Companion with the parallel cable in an enclosure in the back yard supplying our transfer switch in the garage.  Bought them about fifteen months ago and they have...you guessed it...15 hours on each of them.  No power outages since they were purchased.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top