Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm not real fond of the East German NVA blankets.  The West German BUND blankets are superior.

Out of the ones on your link I'd try the heavier and longer Czech blankets or the Italian, which are a bit wider. Both are listed as 2 pounds heavier than the East German... hopefully there's a good reason.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Kar.  You make a strong argument.  I decided to order a few of the 100% German blankets to have on hand.  You guys always cost me money.  

Best I've come across.  Where did you find them in stock?

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?products_id=2374

Marked Bundes-Eigentum, nice & heavy, big enough for a queen size bed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
i like moving pads. my van always has 1 in it,  frickin heat trap. they wash up on the driveway with a pressure washer, or just hang it over a fence and spray with a hose if dirty. so heavy one will break a washing machine. not very expensive as ive never really paid for them. mabey $10 each at a moving supply. every home should have a few. google newhaven moving supply, they start @ $166 a dozen.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Kar.  You make a strong argument.  I decided to order a few of the 100% German blankets to have on hand.  You guys always cost me money.  

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?products_id=2374

Marked Bundes-Eigentum, nice & heavy, big enough for a queen size bed.

Danke
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
can you wash them in a washing machine?
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

can you wash them in a washing machine?

We did.  Just a little bit of soap, and cold water.  Hang to dry.  Got rid of the mothball smell.

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not real fond of the East German NVA blankets.  The West German BUND blankets are superior.

Out of the ones on your link I'd try the heavier and longer Czech blankets or the Italian, which are a bit wider. Both are listed as 2 pounds heavier than the East German... hopefully there's a good reason.

The W. German (German) is far superior to the E. German (NVA) blanket.  Not even in the same ballpark.  The NVA blankets aren't terrible but the Bundeswehr blanket is incredible.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The link posted above, though they may not be the German blankets everyone here holds in such high regards.  They're labeled German and 100% wool.  They do seem lighter than some of the other blankets.  I'm anxious to get them, but have nothing else to compare them to since they're my first wool blankets.
http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/blankets.html

Those are E. German, not bad but you are right, not the one "held in such high regards."
You can get the E. German ones here, too
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By SIPCAT-C

The W. German (German) is far superior to the E. German (NVA) blanket.  Not even in the same ballpark.  The NVA blankets aren't terrible but the Bundeswehr blanket is incredible.

Is this the best surplus wool blanket?

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought several of the British wool blankets several years ago .

A very nice Cream color . More natural ? Decent size and not to itchy .

I let them soak in cold water w lots of fabric softener then air dry .

Last year I used one  as a comforter
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I got mine last year from Sportsman's Guide when they had them at $24.99.
Those are the best I have in my collection (lol, yes I have a military wool blanket collection).
I hear that the Swedish officer's blanket is just as good, if not better.

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought several of the British wool blankets several years ago .

A very nice Cream color . More natural ? Decent size and not to itchy .

I let them soak in cold water w lots of fabric softener then air dry .

Last year I used one  as a comforter

I'm interested in one of those as well.  The white/cream colored one?
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are great.....I have several  of them but in a bigger size......have one on my bed all year......They are Great.......the sweedis officer ones are a little better . Both are great blankets.....way better than USGI
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I picked up a few W. German blankets too.  I suppose I will have to keep the E German and W German blankets separated by a huge concrete wall.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I picked up a few W. German blankets too.  I suppose I will have to keep the E German and W German blankets separated by a huge concrete wall.

Link Posted: 11/6/2010 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i like moving pads. my van always has 1 in it,  frickin heat trap. they wash up on the driveway with a pressure washer, or just hang it over a fence and spray with a hose if dirty. so heavy one will break a washing machine. not very expensive as ive never really paid for them. mabey $10 each at a moving supply. every home should have a few. google newhaven moving supply, they start @ $166 a dozen.

Can you tell use more? have you yourself used one on a cold night? This is not flame or me trying to be a smarta$$!
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Czech blanket I got from Sportsman's Guide last year is on par quality-wise with the bundeswehr blanket, it is just not as wide.  It fully covers a single mattress but not a queen sized mattress like the Bundeswehr.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Attenzione;
Swiss-Link Italian Wool Army Blanket @ Sierra trading. NOT the premium from couple years ago,just army.
color: brown/cream stripe  #3039F-01 ... back ordered for another week but let me put in an order for one.
$20.96 after an email coupon with no shipping for me,I've got one of their cards.
Think a decent deal,I'll know when/if it shows up.73x65 %100wool  Italy
Anybody have one of these?
Actually looks like Italian @ turkeyfoot link.So eh,ok deal.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my 4 E. German blankets in today (marked NVA).  I think I get it now.  These are really good blankets.  I machine washed them on "hand wash" in cold water with dye and odor free detergent and added a little bit of fabric softener to help out the moth ball odor/been in storage odor.  I've hung them up inside to dry.  The machine wash did frey the blankets just a little.  They are nice heavy blankets and I can imagine 1000 places I could use them.

Now I can't wait to get my W. German blankets in.  Those will probably end up on our beds this winter.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got my 4 E. German blankets in today (marked NVA).  I think I get it now.  These are really good blankets.  I machine washed them on "hand wash" in cold water with dye and odor free detergent and added a little bit of fabric softener to help out the moth ball odor/been in storage odor.  I've hung them up inside to dry.  The machine wash did frey the blankets just a little.  They are nice heavy blankets and I can imagine 1000 places I could use them.

Now I can't wait to get my W. German blankets in.  Those will probably end up on our beds this winter.  

Good work.  Did all of your E. German blankets have the same markings?  I've seen a few with clear "NVA" markings and a few with the correct black bands, but no actual NVA marking.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good work.  Did all of your E. German blankets have the same markings?  I've seen a few with clear "NVA" markings and a few with the correct black bands, but no actual NVA marking.

Yessir all marked the same.  Small black stripe on one end and a large black stripe through the middle marked NVA.  I'm quite pleased.  

I plan on hanging them over the fence for a day or two to air out when the weather permits.  Even after a washing they still have a little moth ball odor to them.  I don't mind it so much but the wife's giving me the evil eye.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And be alert, because a certain percentage of the yarns of the E German blanket tend to migrate over, under or through the wall to get to the W German one.  

This then decreases the efficiency of the remaining yarns in the E German blanket.  Next thing you know, that one is threadbare and not very warm anymore.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you tell use more? have you yourself used one on a cold night? This is not flame or me trying to be a smarta$$!

I've only used moving blankets for moving, but it appears to me they are probably filled with bulk cotton stuffing.

In another time and place, I slept in a very cold unheated room (mid-upper thirties) with only a bed cover filled with raw cotton.   It was a bit heavy, but not too thick, and somewhat  similar to a moving blanket.

I was afraid I was going to freeze - instead I was absolutely warm and comfy the entire night.

I woke up very impressed with that cover.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And be alert, because a certain percentage of the yarns of the E German blanket tend to migrate over, under or through the wall to get to the W German one.  

This then decreases the efficiency of the remaining yarns in the E German blanket.  Next thing you know, that one is threadbare and not very warm anymore.

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#25]
It's been a few years, but, I need to check the Sundance catalog, and see if they are still selling Swiss blankets for $398 each.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got 2 blankets from Omaha's Surplus. Everything looks good. Wifey just washed them and man, they definitely have a smell to them. Is there any way to get that smell out of them? What have you guys done to reduce/eliminate that mothball smell?
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just got 2 blankets from Omaha's Surplus. Everything looks good. Wifey just washed them and man, they definitely have a smell to them. Is there any way to get that smell out of them? What have you guys done to reduce/eliminate that mothball smell?

Time and air . it goes away eventually
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#28]
The 4 W German blankets came in yesterday.   out of

Washing them and hanging them to dry today.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time and air . it goes away eventually

And sunlight.  The UV helps break down the stink.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got my first today. A new Italian 100% from SG. I smelled it through the box.  It looks good. Its going to spend the weekend in the sun.  If it still smells I will drop it off at the dry cleaner.  Its very nice for the price.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe my sense of smell is out of whack, but the two I recently got (from Omaha's) smell fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 4:53:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I got one from Colemans and one from Omaha, they are both great! one will be vacuum sealed and hept in the car the other a spare in the house.Thanks for all the info here!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Maybe my sense of smell is out of whack, but the two I recently got (from Omaha's) smell fine.

Here too. I received two yesterday, and used them last night. Very nice, I'm very impressed with these blankets. I'm still waiting for the D.O. blanket to compare.

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Everything noted above, and when I did pack them away, I went with cedar chips.
Cedar keeps the moth protection and also smells great - overpowers the mothball smell if any remains after other tactics if eliminating smell.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You can air them out and let the sun get the stink out or you can wash them get the stink out and make them softer!

I got a free wool blanket from a place smelled to hi hell of I don't know what but at the time I lived in the desert of Texas and it was winter I did not care how bad it smelled. I left it outside everyday for months when I was not using and it always smelled. Then I was told this little trick! What is wool? Hair right! Try using shampoo and conditioner a long with 1 cup of white vinegar. Don’t use your wives good stuff unless you want a blanket that smells like her hair and is soft and have a death wish because you just used a bottle of her shampoo and conditioner!  The cheap stuff works great I have found and if you’re the type that will stand by your washer as it fills for the rise cycle if you buy the leave in conditioner like horse and mane conditioner you can get the wool blanket softer and smells better. You can find at the dollar store shampoo and conditioner for a dollar each.

This is just some advice try it see how you like it worst thing is that it makes you blanket soft and smells good and you spend some money doing it!
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything noted above, and when I did pack them away, I went with cedar chips.
Cedar keeps the moth protection and also smells great - overpowers the mothball smell if any remains after other tactics if eliminating smell.

Yep, cedar is wonderful for storage of your blankets. I am in the process of building (w/help from my Dad, "the woodworker") a cedar chest for storage of all my winter blankets. It will have a oak, front, sides & lid, the back & the floor will be Cedar.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Found this locally but didnt wanna buy it without more information.

Anyone have any experience with them.  I s it 100% wool?  They were asking $25 and it was supposedly new.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/FormulaGSR/GHB/IMG_20101111_163321.jpg

Anyone have any experience with them.  I s it 100% wool?  They were asking $25 and it was supposedly new.

What is reprocessed wool?
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#39]
SHTF and I'll laugh when I see any of you carrying a stack of blankets down the road. I will pull over of course. No need for me to buy any I reckon.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is reprocessed wool?

It's the wool a wolf shits out after it's kill!
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
SHTF and I'll laugh when I see any of you carrying a stack of blankets down the road. I will pull over of course. No need for me to buy any I reckon.

Is English your second language?  Not trying to be mean, but I don't understand what you're saying.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

well be walking and youll be driving ? you plan on ideing that vehicle while you sleep to keep warm ?
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I lol'd

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

OK really WTF are you talking about?
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Picked up 2 of the swedish blankets from the Ebay seller.  $200 shipped, ouch.  One will be a Christmas gift to my parents however.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Just received 4 of the (new not surplus) swedish blankets - ~$60 each after shipping.  These things are REALLY nice -thanks for mentioning them in the thread!  I gotta say i'm very impressed with the quality. They're definitely going to get used on the chilly nights.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Well it's got an NSN 7210-00-282-7950 so it's a US mil issue wool blanket.  It looks like 100% wool just that some is "recycled/reprocessed" that means old wool blankets were used in it's manufacture.  You'll have to gauge thickness and weave quality yourself, but for 25 bucks I'd give it a shot, even if I just threw it in the car.  And it should have the cool US stamp on it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2010 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Picked up a couple of the Bund German blankets mentioned here. Very nice for ~$110 with shipping for two of them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow, makes me wish I would have ordered more than 2 last year.

I used one as my winter blanket last year - kept me WARM.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#50]

This is the lowest price I have been able to find on the net currently for Swedish Officer's Military blankets. $44.96 each, plus shipping.

I made an order from them, and now that they have arrived I can recommend the store.  

http://www.gr8gear.com/catalog/Bunk-Beds-Cots-Blankets/Blankets/

They actually delayed shipping my order a couple of days because it was over 15 pounds (fine print on the webpage) and they had to get my approval on the shipping charges... and I can be very hard to get in touch with sometimes.  

If you order 2 or less then the automatic shipping charges are good as you stay under the magic 15 lbs.

These are very nice new blankets, they are soft and have a good weight to them. Much softer than a US GI wool blanket. They have the slightest of mothproofing odors -  otherwise they are brand new with the original Swedish paper tags on them.  My cat and the ferrets love the wool.  

These are not what I would consider big enough for 2 people in a queen sized bed.  More full or twin sized in my opinion.

Shipping turned out to be $28.49.  That, plus the $179.96 for 4 blankets came out to a grand total of $208.45.   That's over $52 each for blankets...  

They also have Italian and other blankets.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top