Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
GSD
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, Dingos,cross-breeds of the above, are all round good dogs, don't eat all that much, and live fairly long lives.  They can do a lot of different things pretty well.  Good with kids, by and large,  if you work them in pairs, they'll pack a pretty good fight into a small package (they do teamwork very well)

Rotties, Alsatians, mastiffs, Poodles (standard), good fighting dogs, good guard dogs, good pack dogs, but they eat alot, shit alot, and live fairly short lives  (well, Poodles tend to live longer for some reason, but they've got their own problems).

Toy Poodles, Chihuahuas, etc... alarms that pack light, don't eat much, and live very long lives.

I'd stay away from Dobies and be leery of Pit Bulls (though properly brought up Pits are great dogs, they do have some bad habits you have to watch for)

I did some research on this topic for a book once and came up with the Bull Mastiff as the perfect post-apocalyptic breed.  Can't remember all the reasons, but it seemed a good combination of temperament, strength, intelligence, and life expectancy.

Pretty interesting choice.  

I used to own a Boerboel (which is essentially a South African farmer's mutt).  This "breed" has some heavy influence of Bull Mastiff and Rhodesian Ridgeback, with smaller quanities of all sorts of stuff (Weimeraner, some lines had Irish markings of who-knows-what).  What I found with my dog was that she had a super-high defensive/fight drive, low prey drive and took corrections personally.  Temperament with my dog was fantastic.  She could go from a sleeve bite to licking a kid in the face in under 10 seconds.  My kids would play dress up with the dog and paint her nails.  She was solid, and not a fear-biter.  She was extremely dominant however.  And, she really didnt eat all that much for a 90-pounder.  She would catch wild boar (trial in a bay pen), and she brought down a cow (first time she saw one, she grabbed it by it's lip and took it to the ground at a herding trial––––-oops! ).  When I took her to the bay pen to see if she'd catch, the idiot jumped over the fence into the holding pen with over 30 wild boar to still go after the one she was just chasing! .  The guy running the bay pen said he'd never seen anything like it.

All that being said, the average Boerboel is garbage.  There are maybe 2 breeders I'd ever get a Boerboel from, and they are here in the US.  The South African breeders just import garbage.

Personally, I'll probably never own another Boerboel.  It broke my heart to have to re-home my dog.  I had one of those "it's me or the dog" situations, and I should have kept the dog instead (i just got divorced).  The dog is in excellent hands now, and she is happy.  The new owner is a former cop and does training with his dogs.  He also has a CAO, that is my old dog's playmate now.  

I'd probably get a Black Mouth Cur (out of herding or hunting parents) or a Bandog with a functional working mastiff influence (pretty much limits selection to Am Bulldogs) x Dutch shepherd mix.
I want a short-coated, dark (preferably brindle), 60 to 80 pound dog, that isnt yappy and will remain calm.  I dont want a German temperament dog (alpha––-think Rottweiler), but an English temperament dog (think bulldog––-laid back, but when it is time to work, will work).  I want a dog with a medium prey drive (not off the charts like a Malinois––-they are psycho), good nose, deep chest that can run.  I also want a medium-high defensive/fight drive, and absolutely no fear biting (i will kill a dog myself for this).  A good herding instict/catch instinct is a plus.  

I dont care too much for ACD's and Heelers.  Personal preference.  If i send my dog to bite somebody, I want their whole body to be a target, not just their ankles.  

One man + one dog = three men

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When I was in Haiti, all of the dogs were little ?35-40 lb? skinny mutts who all looked like they had the same parents.

Search for "pictures of dogs in Haiti" and you will see what they looked like.

There must be some reason for that.  It didn't look like anyone fed them, so this must be the best size to scrounge and survive on its' own, sort of a "survival of the fittest" concept.

I wonder if dogs in Iraq or Afganistan look similar?

There were dogs like that in India too.  They were all yellow, about 30 to 40-pounders, and very lean.  They didnt belong to anybody, but just wandered around and lived off of garbage.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, our neighbor had a few. They got into a tussle with a leopard one night. Didn't end well for them, but it really wasn't a fair fight.
They are excellent dogs as far as I could tell. Very loyal and friendly. Not sure how they are with kids...they never tried to bite me when we were over there...they are also extremely alert - and bark a lot
Can't tell you more than that...the Boerboel breed is supposed to have some ridgeback in them.

I have to chime in on this.  Sorry!

I have had many, many "discussions" with pet Boerboel breeders (the people that want to get the breed lested with the AKC, etc.).  These breeders are after money, and nothing else.  They don't understand the concept of a working dog, and they breed to attain a "look".  They place no emphasis on temperament or health, and because of this, they will put a whole bunch of sub-standard dogs out in the market and this will be a disaster.  There have already been a few instances of people's Boerboels turning on them (temperament issue thanks to lousy breeding).  It is only a matter of time before somebody gets killed by their Boerboel.  You should only ever get your dogs out of working stock, not show dogs.  If people make claims about the breed, ask them to have their dogs demonstrate.  Dont rely on marketing.  Have them show you what their dogs can actually do.

Ive seen some expensive dogs utterly fail a stake-out test.  Heck, I've seen video of Boerboels failing stake-out tests.  Those dogs should never be bred, but they will, and they'll most likely pass on a weak temperament.  Just because a dog's parent's did something, it doesnt mean that your dog will be able to do it.  If it can't, dont breed it.  

The reason I did all of the stuff I did with my dog was to see if she carried the correct attributes she was supposed to have.  She was miles ahead of most Boerboels in this regard, but I still didnt end up breeding her.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, our neighbor had a few. They got into a tussle with a leopard one night. Didn't end well for them, but it really wasn't a fair fight.
They are excellent dogs as far as I could tell. Very loyal and friendly. Not sure how they are with kids...they never tried to bite me when we were over there...they are also extremely alert - and bark a lot
Can't tell you more than that...the Boerboel breed is supposed to have some ridgeback in them.

I have to chime in on this.  Sorry!

I have had many, many "discussions" with pet Boerboel breeders (the people that want to get the breed lested with the AKC, etc.).  These breeders are after money, and nothing else.  They don't understand the concept of a working dog, and they breed to attain a "look".  They place no emphasis on temperament or health, and because of this, they will put a whole bunch of sub-standard dogs out in the market and this will be a disaster.  There have already been a few instances of people's Boerboels turning on them (temperament issue thanks to lousy breeding).  It is only a matter of time before somebody gets killed by their Boerboel.  You should only ever get your dogs out of working stock, not show dogs.  If people make claims about the breed, ask them to have their dogs demonstrate.  Dont rely on marketing.  Have them show you what their dogs can actually do.

Ive seen some expensive dogs utterly fail a stake-out test.  Heck, I've seen video of Boerboels failing stake-out tests.  Those dogs should never be bred, but they will, and they'll most likely pass on a weak temperament.  Just because a dog's parent's did something, it doesnt mean that your dog will be able to do it.  If it can't, dont breed it.  

The reason I did all of the stuff I did with my dog was to see if she carried the correct attributes she was supposed to have.  She was miles ahead of most Boerboels in this regard, but I still didnt end up breeding her.

Very true. A lot of breeders breed for the looks...others breed them for a bad temperament (look at my big bad ass pittbull type dog thing). There are some honest breeders out there. I have see some bad Boerboels that I wouldn't let kids around. A buddy of mine had one. The dog was a damn menace....looked at me like I was a damned cheeseburger every time I got out of  my truck. He was selected for his "ferocity" so that should tell you something about that!
Every single boerboel we've had on the farm (4 over the years) have been great. I grew up around them and if a ddog has a proven good temperament, it will stick around. We had no thefts on the farm yard while we had them. All our neighbors had some losses. I may be a bit biased though But I do agree that some breeders are class a assholes and do some stupid things...
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
G-Shep and a Wolf . . . anything without short legs, and tough is a must

I want these regardless if the SHTF, I need something to guard my shit when Im not around!
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife and I have a Husky. She has always wanted one, but I think we may have made a bad choice. I dont know anything about Huskies, so the dog may be defective. She is afraid of the dark, afraid of fireworks and gunfire, and loves cats. She also doesnt see any strangers when we walk her, apparently she likes everyone. But because of the freaky Husky eyes, a lot of people are leery of her.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I was in Haiti, all of the dogs were little ?35-40 lb? skinny mutts who all looked like they had the same parents.

There must be some reason for that.  It didn't look like anyone fed them, so this must be the best size to scrounge and survive on its' own, sort of a "survival of the fittest" concept.

Most of the dogs we shot on post were pretty big, 100lbs easy.  Most were feral and had a number of diseases to include rabies.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a rat terrier, that would probably be a good dog for TEOTWAWKI, doesn't eat much, hunts small game with a vigor, good alarm.

You just nailed it right there. When our economy collapsed and people of course had to tighten the budget we suddenly saw a lot of big dogs on the streets. The owners couldn't afford to feed them so they did what you can expect from the average, self centered idiot: Let a big dog run wild in pack.
Soon enough the situation "organized" itself so to speak. You just can't leave packs of dogs running around, attacking people.
But back to the dog I agree with you 100%. I think the Jack Russell is the best postSHTF small dog.
If you can afford or have the means to support a bigger dog, I'd go for a Dogo Argentino. Big enough but not stupid big. Capable of killing any other dog and animals much bigger than itself (think cougar, boar, even bulls) , good big game hunter. Not that great as a guarding (wont bark, it ambushes instead) but excellent to have in a fight. Wont get scared away even if shot and wounded. Magnificent animal. Careful! Some of the ones found in shelters where used in dog fights, so dont go that way unless you're very experienced with dogs.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/Dogo.jpg/220px-Dogo.jpg
Dogo Argentino

FerFAL

Now now. The Dogo will bark. It doesn't bark at everything but when it does you better pay attention.  The Dogo has 3 barks that I have observed. There is the hello bark as I call which is the Dogo's way of saying " I'm here and just wanted you to know" and then there is the warning bark. The kind that says that's far enough and don't come any closer. Then there is what I call the "Godzilla Bark". It causes the other person to lose control of their bowels, drive heart rate and blood pressure through the roof and turn you to stone because you know in the next few seconds the dog will be on you and holding you in its jaws for me.

The Dogo is one great breed. My preference. Blasted dog is so fast they can catch those little lizards and they have great memory too. Mine saw a squirrel once and every time we passed that spot she would stop and look for it.

Dogo's rule.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were dogs like that in India too.  They were all yellow, about 30 to 40-pounders, and very lean.  They didnt belong to anybody, but just wandered around and lived off of garbage.

We call them Brightmoor Browns here in Detroit.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Best? Kangal. Big enough to ride, big enough to feed your family if the need arises, big enough to keep everyone from f$#^ing with you. Also, they're Turkish sheep-protecting dogs. And they're huge, about the size of a Newfoundland Terrier, maybe bigger.

- CK
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top