Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2010 2:57:17 PM EDT
Decided it was time to stop by a LDS  Cannery today.  Great prices, friendly, helpful people = pure win from where I am standing.

Stopped by the one in Fresno, it sounds like all of them are run a bit differently, different policies and whatnot.  Based on a previous post a year or two back, I expected to can my own stuff.  When I got there, they had a full wall of the warehouse full of cases of #10 cans already done, everything that is listed on  the form here was available pre canned.  They had between two and 4 pallets of everything on the list.  I had a list of what I wanted, they got me a cart and showed me where everything was.  Had I not talked to them for an hour about the conservative viewpoint, I could have been in and out of there in a few minutes.  

I picked up 8 #10 cans of white rice, 3 of sugar, 2 of quick oats, 2 of macaroni and 3 of potato flakes for $59 and some change.  The fact that I was not LDS didn't seem to matter.  They also let me know that they have 3 full canning set ups that they loan out for a week (or more if you need it) at a time for free if you have stuff at home you want to can yourself.  I will be making regular trips back, it was a great experience.  

I asked if I could snap a few pics to post here, they called Utah and were told no.  I completely understand that, no way of knowing how radical of a forum I was going to post it on.  

This seems like the best way to set up for really long term stuff to me.  Way easier and more certain than mylar and five gallon buckets in my eyes, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad you had a good experience. They sometimes ask for volunteers from our congregation to help out in the cannery. I haven't been able to go and do it (mainly cuz its always in the morning time and I've always had either school or work) but I'll have to check it out some time. My wife is always buying stuff from the cannery though. The dried apples are amazing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm glad you had a good experience. They sometimes ask for volunteers from our congregation to help out in the cannery. I haven't been able to go and do it (mainly cuz its always in the morning time and I've always had either school or work) but I'll have to check it out some time. My wife is always buying stuff from the cannery though. The dried apples are amazing.

I'll pick up some of them next time I'm in there!  I am going to try to go every two weeks or so for a while and slowly build up the really long term staples.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
so glad you had a great experience!  sounds like the group out here.    incredible people.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few LDS friends.  When the world we all know has come and gone, that will be the #1 religious group in terms of population in America.  Their preparedness is amazing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a new guy I work with who is a LDS  guy next week he is headed up  I have a list of what is available.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you had a good experience.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
They are great guys.  

The one I went, Canning was members only.  which was cool to me.  Its the Church's donations and their members has the sole right to use them.  I was just happy they sold the basic box sets for real cheap.  Wheat, oats, rice and beans...  I am going to send in my wife to buy 300 more pounds of food, hehehe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top