Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:05:01 PM EDT
I finally had enough strawberries picked to do 1 recipe of strawberry jam. I had no idea how much sugar was needed for jams and jellies until the other day. I'm glad I have an extra 50lb bag of sugar in the pantry - i think i'll need it if I continue doing this (which I'm sure I will). Anyway, my first jam canning attempt i think was successful. The jars are only 6 hours out of the canner and seem to be gelling up, although i've got my concerns. I have no idea how long it takes for the goo to properly 'jam up". Only thing I've done before this was a few pints of jalapenos which didn't really turn out all that well.

I think i'm going to look for some low sugar recipes, cause thats a ton of sugar in those jars. Anyway, i probably never would have done this if not for this forum, so thanks guys! Maybe i'll cook up a loaf of bread tomorrow and have some fresh jam on fresh bread with homemade butter. Neighbor made a good size batch of butter last week and gave me a couple jars. Gotta love the homemade, fresh goodies.

So to help everyone out with the process, if you are unfamiliar with making jams, I've included an MSpaint diagram to clarify.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:19:44 PM EDT
sweet.......no really......sweet....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:03:20 PM EDT
Mmmmmm we make Raspberry each year from our patch
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:18:48 PM EDT
Did the same thing for a lazy Sunday afternoon activity. Raspberry-Mango preserves. Delicious.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:29:13 PM EDT
how long does it take for jam to gel? Mine is still pretty liquid-y. I'm afraid I may have squished up the strawberries too much and created too much liquid. I even put a little extra pectin in to hopefully counter the extra strawberry juice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:56:20 AM EDT
1911 cocked, check
Knife, check
Delicious jam, check

I'm detecting win in this sector. We've been having too many uncocked guns lately
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:08:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Nicodareus:
how long does it take for jam to gel? Mine is still pretty liquid-y. I'm afraid I may have squished up the strawberries too much and created too much liquid. I even put a little extra pectin in to hopefully counter the extra strawberry juice.

Don't sweat how hard your jelly sets. It will spread nice regardless. I had a batch that didn't set well one time, and I just told the wife that we have aesome strawberry ice cream sauce now!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:23:26 AM EDT
What part of Texas are you in?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:26:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Electronrider:
I just told the wife that we have aesome strawberry ice cream sauce now!

Never thought of that!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:37:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 11:37:40 AM EDT by pyro6988]
Looks good fiancee and I made blueberry jam last night. 39 4oz jars and 1 pint jar.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:18:41 PM EDT
Looks good to me. I'd love some fresh jam.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:31:59 PM EDT
did you have to shoot the strawberries with that .45?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:21:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By funkymonkey1111:
did you have to shoot the strawberries with that .45?

DUH! Instant jam. HELLO!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:23:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Electronrider:
Originally Posted By Nicodareus:

Don't sweat how hard your jelly sets. It will spread nice regardless. I had a batch that didn't set well one time, and I just told the wife that we have aesome strawberry ice cream sauce now!

If you want your jam to be "jammy" you have to add fruit pectin. It's kind of like adding jello to it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 2:54:54 PM EDT by Loco]
I was about to put away all of my jars I did yesterday when I saw this.

Heres what I did,
Left to right
7 pts fajita soup
6 pts slit pea with ham soup
7 pts potatoe and corn chowder
5 qts chili (with beans)
3 qts beef cubes in broth
3 qts boneless chicen breast in broth. I did these raw packed. (cooked in the jar)

My wife did all of the jam.
8 half pts strawberry
7 half pts raspberry

ETA: I noticed the M4 is not on "safe". I did 50 push-ups as self administered punishment

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:16:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Echo2:
sweet.......no really......sweet....

Very nice!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:23:51 PM EDT
YUMMY ....
Strawberries r one of my favorites .

Quick movie quote guess ?? Hint .. strawberries are $40 a jar

" Who Buys Your Strawberries "
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:45:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GENESMITH:
What part of Texas are you in?