Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 5:46:16 PM EDT
Hi Folks,
Today I finished up a majority of the welding. The tower is about 65 feet tall and you can see all the added do-dads I welded to it. All together I used about 40- 50 lbs of welding rods attaching the 1-5/8 glavanized pipe and the 1/2 inch rebar to the main 4inch schedule 40 pipe.

In the next day or two I will replace the upper guys with 1/2 inch cable.

In this photo you can see the chain fall and my grip hoist attached to two concrete pillars in the ground...the pillars are about 10 inches in diameter and about 4 feet deep....hard clay soil here in South Carolina. There are three pieces of 1/2 inch rebar which are welded together and bent to splay the legs of the rebar out before I poured the concrete. It held like a charm.

In the next photo I told my buddy who was helping me to stop and move away...if something let go he would be catapult bait....look where the chain is in relationship to his leg...dangerous!

On the next test raise I will extend the cable and do away with the chain fall all together...it was a temporary measure to get the length I needed....Oh the grip hoist from Northern Tool worked flawlessly. :)
Here is the tower as the gin pole begins to overcome the weight of the tower...I think its just past 45 degrees...the gin pole is 40 feet long.

These other two photos are the tower when its about 75 degrees...at this point I could really feel the tension off the grip hoist disappear. My friend and I could have probably finished pulling it vertical by simply pushing down on the lifting cable....but the prudent thing was to let the grip hoist finish it off nice and easy.

If time allows I will hoist the assembled generator minus the blades tomorrow. A lot of work in these beasts! The tower upgrade was the biggest time consumer....and I still need to paint it...groan!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:49:12 PM EDT
How do you get the wind generator on there? DO you lower the tower back down?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:57:13 PM EDT
Yep I will lower the tower...it takes about 10-15 mins to raise or lower it. I will assmeble the generator and raise it...I have to assemble the generator in sections... all togehter with blades and all will weigh in at about 350-400 lbs.
If you look closely you can see the generator frame on top of the tower.
Once everyhting is in place I will hoist the generator about 9-10 feet off the ground and balance the blades and finish hoisting it up. No climbing involved...just raise and lower it with the grip hoist... by hand
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:41 PM EDT
Very nice!

Where's the ham radio antenna going to be mounted?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:45:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Skibane:
Very nice!

Where's the ham radio antenna going to be mounted?

LOL good idea. I think I will use a portable short wave reciever and avoid any possibilites for blade strikes
Top Top