Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 5:32:10 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a cold steel and love it- I had to re profile the edge ( I find all the CS knives to tick in the edge) its the most useful out door blade that I have-It can cut would for a shelter, slice any critter in the woods and swinging that much steel keeps those with less than good intentions as bay!

A big blade for sure but I also have a CS bird and trout blade black duct taped to the sheath-the combo gives me all that I need

Sinjin
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Uhm... in what respect?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll poke your eye out kid.

I like them and plan to try forging one this winter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
All blades have there place.

What is a quality one? The CS one?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The "kukri purists" (kukri nuts) will be highly offended that you posted a picture of a Cold Steel machete with your question. A "real" kukri is made by a skinny brown dude who squats around a fire all day banging leaf springs into blades. They are much thicker and heavier than the sample you provided.

I have never had a "real" kukri and never had a desire to have one. I have had several of the cold steel kukris to include the current machete models as well as the LTC and ATC which are thicker carbon v steel. I do like the weight forward balance and the continuous curve most definitely out chops a standard machete even with a much shorter blade. I like them in many situations where they are just easier to deal with on the belt or pack due to the shorter length. They are at a disadvantage if you are whacking away at briars at ground level all day.

As with any tool, there is no such thing as better as much as having the right tool for the job at hand.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Virtually all parts of a kukri are usable in a survival  or combat situation:

* Tip - Piercing or cutting motions
* Belly - Cutting or chopping
* Sides Of Blade - Slapping apponents
* Back Of Blade - Smashing, hammering or breaking blows
* Pummel - Smashing or breaking blows
* The two small blades can be used for intricate cutting, more specifically for skinning game

...just ask a Gurkha!  

PS

The Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri is simply amazing.  It is even endorsed by the American Bando Association, which teaches martial arts from Burma, now Mayanmar.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
i gave a CS Kukhri, a CS stainless version which is ground from much thicker stock and a Becker Reinhardt Kukhri. the standard CS version has gotten some use in the yard. it chops up mulberry snicker-snack! they are heavier than a machete, lighter than an axe and compared to a golok i guess it depends on which versions you're comparing. i've heard some positive comments on the Ka-bar version.

i guess it just depends on what you plan on using it for. not so good for chopping larger trees, a bit heavy for grasses, and kinda big for small game.

you don't want to get hit with one, and it's good for zombies.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Cold Steel LTC and the quality of the steel is phenomenal. I sharpened it up shaving sharp before I took it camping for the first time. I chopped firewood with it, all the way up to 8" dia logs. Then I used it to split kindling.

I went back the next year and no one had touched that tree I had chopped up, so I chopped up all our firewood from the same tree.

After chopping through the same tree about 10 times over two years, I could still shave hair with the blade without effort.

I can take down a 2" dia. tree with one whack and a push.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the cheapie CS kukri.  I don't like it.  

Ironically enough, I bought a "Smith and Wesson" brand Kukri in a gun store, in Panama City, Panama... and I like it a lot better than the CS, for a cheapie.

For a survival knife, I prefer to carry a smaller knife.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I never was much of a kukri fan. Give me a good ol' American bowie blade any day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khuk1.html

This is where I ordered mine.  Used it in the sandbox.  

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one of the cheap cold steel models. It is my go to knife around my property. It came with a rolled edge from the factory so I gave it a convex edge using a mouse pad and sandpaper and that thing works better than my estwing hatchet at pretty much any task. I have used it to chop firewood, clear brush, and split kindling and if I am taking a large knife with me camping it is the one that goes. It has also come in handy while dressing deer, especially for the femur/ribcage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two genuine Kukri knives. IMHO they are an excellent survival and fighting tool.

AFAIK there are a couple different grades offered by Cold Steel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never understood them myself. I see nothing that they do that another tool can't do better. Chopping things like wood? I'll take an axe or saw. Chopping things like people? Give me something better balanced that I can maneuver with. Stabbing? Uh, not really.

I had one when I was a kid. Then I grew up, and I don't have it anymore, or miss it. I sure as hell don't want to carry one when other tools that are far more compact and lighter can do the same shit.

As for fighting with a knife... I tend to think that if you get into a knife fight nowadays then you missed the gun fight and have fucked up really, really bad in some important way. Also, I've noticed that every single person I've ever talked to who brought up knife throwing or knife fighting or whatever has in some way been an unbalanced individual. I think that some people simply have unrealistic views on how a lethal fight is going to go, and they are just drawn to knives. Well, not so much when the other guy has a gun... Which is what you ought to plan for.

I look at knives as tools only, not fighting implements. I have guns for that. And if for some reason I don't, I'll take a big stick any day of the week over a knife.

YMMV and all of that...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I love mine, it was presented to me by some Gurkhas in Afghanistan. It is a wonderful blade for hard use.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The one that was given to me by a Gurkha named Gridhari sits on a display stand in my room. I use a Ka-Bar for utility stuff.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've never understood them myself. I see nothing that they do that another tool can't do better. Chopping things like wood? I'll take an axe or saw. Chopping things like people? Give me something better balanced that I can maneuver with. Stabbing? Uh, not really.

I had one when I was a kid. Then I grew up, and I don't have it anymore, or miss it. I sure as hell don't want to carry one when other tools that are far more compact and lighter can do the same shit.

As for fighting with a knife... I tend to think that if you get into a knife fight nowadays then you missed the gun fight and have fucked up really, really bad in some important way. Also, I've noticed that every single person I've ever talked to who brought up knife throwing or knife fighting or whatever has in some way been an unbalanced individual. I think that some people simply have unrealistic views on how a lethal fight is going to go, and they are just drawn to knives. Well, not so much when the other guy has a gun... Which is what you ought to plan for.

I look at knives as tools only, not fighting implements. I have guns for that. And if for some reason I don't, I'll take a big stick any day of the week over a knife.

YMMV and all of that...

So you just give up?

A knife has it's place just like firearms and sticks.  Used correctly, the kukri is devastating, but it isn't much of a finesse knife.  More of an axe, really, so if you're hugging your opponent and rolling around on the ground, you've probably missed your shot.

As for a single, all-round cutting tool, it comes about as close as anything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:30:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

YMMV and all of that...

I quit carrying big knives a long time ago. That does not mean that I don't like my kukri. Its bad ass for chopping. Its just not something I see as a requirement.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I have purchased several from these guys http://www.khukuriblades.com/

I highly recommend them
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV and all of that...

So you just give up?

A knife has it's place just like firearms and sticks.  Used correctly, the kukri is devastating, but it isn't much of a finesse knife.  More of an axe, really, so if you're hugging your opponent and rolling around on the ground, you've probably missed your shot.

What are you going to do with your kukri? As a bush knife I can see it's use (but even then I'd opt for a folder and an axe, both of which do their tasks better), but as a fighting knife?

You do realize that pretty much no one carries around large knives on the battlefield anymore, right? And for a good reason? Engagements generally don't go hand-to-hand anymore, and if they do there is usually a good stick of some sort - like your rifle - around somewhere that will be a better weapon. The only guys (aside from Ghurkas, who I think do it more for the novelty nowadays) who carry big knives around the battlefield nowadays are either brand new or certifiable in my experience; most serious people will simply carry either a small fighting knife or more usually a folder, mainly for use as a tool. They tend to not carry around "useless shit" as real estate and weight are a huge concern, and on a modern battlefield a kukri would definitely fall under the category of "useless shit". Thinking you're going to get into a knife fight - especially with a kukri - in battle is about as unrealistic as it gets, though many civie-surplus store-wannabes are still high on it. I'll spend my resources elsewhere.

As for giving up... I don't give up on fights, but I'm not an idiot either. I am not trained in knife fighting and am not going to train on it as the likelihood of ever needing it would be so miniscule that the effort and resources are better spent elsewhere. If by some chance someone pulled a knife on me and I had no gun? That is extremely unlikely (I am always carrying, usually a couple), but to be honest I would find another weapon - a stick of some sort - and run if I had to until I found one. There is *always* something around that you can use as a weapon, you just have to look at everything as one. There is a good chance that if I'm in an area where I can't carry I will have OC, though, and I would certainly go for OC before a knife in a fight (ask any LEO why). Anyhoo, 99.999% chance that someone pulls a knife on me they just brought a knife to a gunfight, so...

As for daily carry of a blade... A kukri does not belong in that discussion. Whatever real estate you're using to conceal a kukri would be better utilized carrying a gun. Period.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Kukri...

Pros:  Jack of many

Cons:  Master of none.

I have a Nepalese made kukri I picked up years ago and really like it as a utility tool.  It serves many functions but doesn't do them as well as dedicated tools (ie. chops wood but not as well as a hand axe).

As an all purpose blade for the trails, that's what I carry, but for work around the house it sits on the shelf.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Its a very practical knife, its geomery measn it was more chopping ability thn its size would imply. I dont like that its a bit more complicate to stab will (impossible entirely with some models out there).

Still preffer a bit clip point knife instead, such as Cold Steel's 12" Bowie machete.

Also keep in mind that such a curved blade may not be as easy to sharpen.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV and all of that...

So you just give up?

What are you going to do with your kukri? As a bush knife I can see it's use (but even then I'd opt for a folder and an axe, both of which do their tasks better), but as a fighting knife?

You do realize that pretty much no one carries around large knives on the battlefield anymore, right? And for a good reason? Engagements generally don't go hand-to-hand anymore, and if they do there is usually a good stick of some sort - like your rifle - around somewhere that will be a better weapon. The only guys (aside from Ghurkas, who I think do it more for the novelty nowadays) who carry big knives around the battlefield nowadays are either brand new or certifiable in my experience; most serious people will simply carry either a small fighting knife or more usually a folder, mainly for use as a tool. They tend to not carry around "useless shit" as real estate and weight are a huge concern, and on a modern battlefield a kukri would definitely fall under the category of "useless shit". Thinking you're going to get into a knife fight - especially with a kukri - in battle is about as unrealistic as it gets, though many civie-surplus store-wannabes are still high on it. I'll spend my resources elsewhere.

As for giving up... I don't give up on fights, but I'm not an idiot either. I am not trained in knife fighting and am not going to train on it as the likelihood of ever needing it would be so miniscule that the effort and resources are better spent elsewhere. If by some chance someone pulled a knife on me and I had no gun? That is extremely unlikely (I am always carrying, usually a couple), but to be honest I would find another weapon - a stick of some sort - and run if I had to until I found one. There is *always* something around that you can use as a weapon, you just have to look at everything as one. There is a good chance that if I'm in an area where I can't carry I will have OC, though, and I would certainly go for OC before a knife in a fight (ask any LEO why). Anyhoo, 99.999% chance that someone pulls a knife on me they just brought a knife to a gunfight, so...

As for daily carry of a blade... A kukri does not belong in that discussion. Whatever real estate you're using to conceal a kukri would be better utilized carrying a gun. Period.

I agree with many of your points, but disagree with others.  From your reply, it doesn't seem like you get that, but oh well.  

I wasn't suggesting a kukri was an acceptable CCW.  I wasn't suggesting anybody chase a knife fight when a firearm is handy.  In fact, my "you'd quit?" response had nothing whatever to do with a kukri, but merely with a knife in general.

Given my druthers, and in civilian loadout, I do carry a stick rather than a knife. (okay, I carry a 2" pocket knife and a Leatherman, but by the time I presented either, the party would be over)  But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be carrying a knife on combat LBE, though whether it was a kukri would depend entirely on the environment rather on any sense of it being an ideal last ditch weapon.  I already pointed out above that if you're rolling around on the ground you've already missed the window in which the kukri as a fighting knife is valuable.  I wouldn't exactly call it a dueller either.

The kukri excels as a chopper.  If you can get close enough to award your opponent a good, solid whack, it's game over.  If he sees you coming and closes, you're better off with a shorter stabbity-stab-stab knife.

From what I can tell, and from reports from the sandbox et al, that's what knife fighting is these days.  charge, tackle, stabbity-stab-stab until somebody stops moving, move on to next activity, if you're able.  Not a long chopping knife's forte, though there's something to be said for the intimidation factor of leaving headless corpses in your wake.  Of course, State and the current administration frown severely on intimidating the enemy these days.

There's also a learning curve for the Kukri that most nobody brings to the table.  I've got 2 of them, only one of which is sharp.  I've done all the practicing to bleed I need for one lifetime, and bleeding for practice falls into the same category.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the replies. I pretty much figured it was just another tool in the shed but its good to know they dont totally sux.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I must have a couple dozen from Himalayan Imports... amazing.  The ones from the Khukuri House and similar outfits are mass produced crap.  Cold Steel

Yea pay 4 times as much for the same knife. Where do you think Himalayan buys their knives?  Khukuri house is in Nepal and I have bought from both. Same knives but when you buy from Khukuri house you eliminate the middle man. Just saying
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I have used a machete and a kukri before for clearing brush.  I definitely prefer the machete for clearing brush and cutting anything the size of my arm or smaller.  Honestly I feel it is better to bring a machete and a hatchet.  Not as sexy but honestly better, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#29]
When I go a-ramblin', I take my Estwing hatchet. Its way more versatile than a machete up here in the north woods.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#30]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I go a-ramblin', I take my Estwing hatchet. Its way more versatile than a machete up here in the north woods.

I'm with you on the hatchet.. I carry an Estwing too.. I can sharpen it so sharp I can skin with it.. I can chop, cut, split and hammer with it.. It has a full metal handle with leather ringed grip that will not break.. I love the damn thing
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#32]
HiramRanger,

I couldn't have said it any better.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Pretty much the most useful blade you'll ever own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can see that.  I am in the deep south and sometimes find myself going through brush so thick you just can't physically walk through it so to clear a path a nice long machete is needed.  Longer blade gets means I have to swing half as much, and it is light so I don't wear myself out.  I never go camping without a machete and a hatchet.  I can see that if you are up north and trail clearing isn't a priority, then you may not need a machete as much.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:50:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I must have a couple dozen from Himalayan Imports... amazing.  The ones from the Khukuri House and similar outfits are mass produced crap.  Cold Steel

Yea pay 4 times as much for the same knife. Where do you think Himalayan buys their knives?  Khukuri house is in Nepal and I have bought from both. Same knives but when you buy from Khukuri house you eliminate the middle man. Just saying

Bull fucking shit, I too have ordered from both and if you can't tell the difference you really need to do some research.  The Himalayan Imports Khukuris are marked as to which Kami made it, the ones from Khukuri House do not- or if they do, they are not marked by the Kamis of Himalayan Imports.  Your assertion that they both come from Nepal thus they are the same is kind of funny, kind of like saying that a Ford focus is the same as a Cadillac SDS because they are both American cars.  I'll put up say my custom made WWII from Kami Sgt. Khadka or Royal Kami Bura with a Villager Finish using white gold fittings and hand tooled leather scabbard against anything you buy from Khukuri House.  And if you don't know who Sgt. Khadka or Royal Kami Bura are then you really don't know anything about currently produced Khukuris.  Sorry... truth.

The guys over at Bladeforums would agree with you.  KH is cheaper than HI, but add shipping, and all of a sudden, HI isn't so expensive any more.

The difference in quality is another huge factor: they say there's no comparison between the two.  HI has a big presence on the largest blade forum on the planet, KH doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oooh..I do too.  Didn't think there were too many of us out there, so unusual to run into another HI "collector".  I don't have a count, but it is above 18 and less than 25 including the smaller blades.  My favorites are the Sirupate style....about 18" in total length.  The one WWII I have is pretty nice too though in terms of feel.   UB was still alive when I was buying most of mine.

dvo
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#38]
HI is a kick ass company.  I live local and a few of my friends have gone to the location to do hand picks.

all of the blades that came out of HI reak of quality

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I hsve 3 Khukuri. One is Gurkha issue with a polished steel blade, one is the General Use version with the carbon steel blade (doesnt polish up but tough as hell and cuts consistently well whilst retaining its edge), and the last one is a large handmade polished steel jobbie with a teak handle and beautiful scabbard which is used by Nepalese people for beheading animals during religious festival.

The latter blade is, I am advised,  custom made by a guy who was a member of the Khukuri makers guild, though I have no provenance to back up this statement. This is what I was told when I was given it.

Pictures can be taken if anyone understands such things!

As a slight correction, the little blades are not little blades! You will normally get one sharp little knife, good for cutting yourself with, whilst the second little beastie is in  fact a sharpener (also called a Chakmak).
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Tool used depends on the job to be done.

I have always liked the kukri but never owned one.  Owned all sorts of other larger knives and to some extent my blackjack mamba is a tad like a kukri but not really.

If cutting small trees for big fire or shelter a large hatchet or small axe is what I wind up wanting if chopping.  I carry a small folding saw, pruning saw size, and it does a heck of a job at cutting through stuff and is very light.

But the saw blade can dull or get bent and an axe or hatchet head might need a new handle but you have to really screw up to need a new head.

A lot of the time I don't carry much of anything large blade or saw wise these days.

A swiss army knife and a small fixed blade do about all I care to do on a daily basis these days.  The swiss army knife is sometimes swapped for a multi tool.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull fucking shit, I too have ordered from both and if you can't tell the difference you really need to do some research.  The Himalayan Imports Khukuris are marked as to which Kami made it, the ones from Khukuri House do not- or if they do, they are not marked by the Kamis of Himalayan Imports.  Your assertion that they both come from Nepal thus they are the same is kind of funny, kind of like saying that a Ford focus is the same as a Cadillac SDS because they are both American cars.  I'll put up say my custom made WWII from Kami Sgt. Khadka or Royal Kami Bura with a Villager Finish using white gold fittings and hand tooled leather scabbard against anything you buy from Khukuri House.  And if you don't know who Sgt. Khadka or Royal Kami Bura are then you really don't know anything about currently produced Khukuris.  Sorry... truth.

Why does it seem as though 99% of the HI khukuris don't have a (dotted) full tang?  I had a rat-tail break on me once in a real bad spot and can't carry one again.  Are they non-riveted full tang?  The k house blades seem to offer many more full tang models.

ETA:  After visiting both websites, I have to admit I am much more impressed by Khukuri House, for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#43]

I wouldn't carry one for pack/bob knife, but I wouldn't turn one down if offered if I needed to cut someone's head off.
Otherwise there not more useful than a good 5 inch work blade and an axe.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#44]
As is usual with these types of threads, this one has turned into a dick measuring contest.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I have been to the camp near Bharatnagar, NEPAL where they still make the regulation blades for Ghurka soldiers. I was able to get two "real deal" Kukris. They are wonderful blades. Do not be fooled by the Chinese or Indian knock-offs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:56:32 AM EDT
[#46]
those that like them, seem to really put a lot of faith in them.

Personally, I am not a fan, preferring a small ax for chopping, and a knife for cutting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#47]
i like mine.  It's great for chopping.  I used mine to trim down my front tree.  It has it's specific use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top