Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 1:00:32 PM EDT
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1087393

Hope everyone affected gets out okay.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife has a friend involved in this.  House just west of Boulder burned to the ground, they got out with the clothes on their backs, it happened that fast.  While it's part of the risks of living here, and I don't care for the Boulder way of life, it's sad when it happens. Fortunately everyone is safe.  But in shock.  I think my wife now realizes the importance of a BOB.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Man that sucks.  Thats why I dont live in the foothills.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Really?  Fire danger is occasional.  The dicks who live there are a constant.  I'd move back down there in a heartbeat, fire/flash flood/tornado/locust/ danger notwithstanding, if they'd just flush out the douches who've taken over one of the grandest states in the Union.  

But I digress  A lesson they'll probably not learn is that a good, solid cellar for the valuable stuff will generally survive a fire.  But then, they're still building the water mains above the frost line, aren't they
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Fire danger is occasional.  The dicks who live there are a constant.  I'd move back down there in a heartbeat, fire/flash flood/tornado/locust/ danger notwithstanding, if they'd just flush out the douches who've taken over one of the grandest states in the Union.  
But I digress  A lesson they'll probably not learn is that a good, solid cellar for the valuable stuff will generally survive a fire.  But then, they're still building the water mains above the frost line, aren't they

Ain't that the damn truth.  In the 11 years since I moved here I've watched it go to pot...literally. And the state GOP really stepped on their junk with this primary race and dicked over an excellent opportunity to take it back.  See you up there soon TheOTHERmaninblack, if I don't truck right on through to Idaho.  I know both WY and ID LOVE people from CO.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anybody have any input on techniques to make ones residence more fire resistant?

Obviously one needs to be ready to GOOD on a moments notice, but one measures could one take that might reduce the amount of damage, etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does anybody have any input on techniques to make ones residence more fire resistant?

Obviously one needs to be ready to GOOD on a moments notice, but one measures could one take that might reduce the amount of damage, etc.

Rammed earth house with a metal roof.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Vegetation free barrier around your house.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vegetation free barrier around your house.

not really needed. there are several fire resistant choices of vegetation for decoration. then there is the proactive choices of things like CAFS systems.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should see the Hayman burn area west of Colorado Springs. talk about scorched earth.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should see the Hayman burn area west of Colorado Springs. talk about scorched earth.  

I'll never forget that one.  I had ash falling in my backyard...and I'm 100 miles north in Westminster.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good sized swimming pool and a wrath of God pump, metal siding and roof, cleared area around the house.  I've heard of folks in Cali using the swimming pool and pump to save their houses.  Keep the house below flash point, it shouldn't kick off.  

Of course, a really hot burn will get it, but at least it's a chance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd move back down there in a heartbeat, fire/flash flood/tornado/locust/ danger notwithstanding, if they'd just flush out the douches who've taken over one of the grandest states in the Union.  

I've been saying that for many many years.I could go on with why CO will never be the same again but I think most people already know the reasons. Still will miss it. Lets hope WY never goes that way because when I head west I probably will head there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd move back down there in a heartbeat, fire/flash flood/tornado/locust/ danger notwithstanding, if they'd just flush out the douches who've taken over one of the grandest states in the Union.  

I've been saying that for many many years.I could go on with why CO will never be the same again but I think most people already know the reasons. Still will miss it. Lets hope WY never goes that way because when I head west I probably will head there.

We're trying, but we just can't get 'em to put up that border fence!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Itd be nice to deport a good chunk of the population out there... either back to their country of origin... or republik of origin (CA seems to be a big one)... their brood too!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#15]
When we drove through what I thought was the conservative mountain [Rockies] states, I absolutely couldn't believe the number of Obama campaign posters stuck literally everywhere.

I guess they all want a piece of .gov cheese too. Instead they won't like what they get.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]
To get the skinny on the front range look up Gallagher's thoughts on westward expansion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#17]
GREENIES!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top