Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2010 8:45:18 PM EDT
I don't know much about these other than a guy saved my bacon once with a set. What do I need to know and what resources can help me get up to speed?

I want some for an urban survival kit so I can open basic locks etc if I needed to and the crap had hit the fan with me being stuck a long way from home.

What is a simple, versatile lock pick set?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 9:19:32 PM EDT by Madcap72]
Rake, a bump key, and a 1"x1" piece of aluminum from a soda can.

But honestly, a 5 lb sledge and a pair of bolt cutters will get you farther, faster. Also, you can't get busted for being in possession of burglary tools.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:26:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Madcap72:

But honestly, a 5 lb sledge and a pair of bolt cutters will get you farther, faster. Also, you can't get busted for being in possession of burglary tools.

True but there are cases where you do not want to damage property . Say a farm gate that wasnt up last time you avoided the highway on the way to your bol , or from work to home . Ive read several articles over on adv rider where picks came in handy .
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:53:50 PM EDT
www.lockpicking101.com

The Arfcom of lockpicking / locksport.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:00:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hawk_308:
True but there are cases where you do not want to damage property . Say a farm gate that wasnt up last time you avoided the highway on the way to your bol , or from work to home . Ive read several articles over on adv rider where picks came in handy .

and i've read of some people using picks to gain discrete entry to a building while people searched for them. the searchers found the cabin in the woods, decided that it looked like nobody had been there and moved on.

IIRC, Ron Hood had some story about that happening to him at some point.

hmmm, i must have missed the lockpicking stories over at ADV.... but i'm sure they can come in handy when "the salute" doesn't work!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:23:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 6:54:48 AM EDT by Echo2]
print the templates.....make outta hacksaw blades and a bench grinder.

practice....practice.....and when your done practicing....practice some more.

ETA: Not only will this save you money....but will give you an idea of what works best for you.

When you get into really picking locks.....you will devolope a feel for the tools in your hands.....and you won't hesitate to make a modification on a tool that you have made for yourself.....because you know how to make yourself another.

I really got into the mechanics of locks a few years ago....and realized that 95% of all locks out there are merely to keep an honest man honest.

Most locks....be it pad locks or residential door locks....all suffer the same down fall......they try to keep manufacturing cost down....and inversly...use crummy materials.

As said above...a 5lb sledge will work on most locks....so will a holigan tool....a spreader clamp....bolt cutters....etc

But beware....by passing a lock is just the same as breaking and entering......be it with a key or with out. The Master 4 digit combo locks are just as good as anything....and you don't have to supply a key for a one time visitor.....and you can re-number the lock...

All the locks to our BOL....have stickers that say "cameras are recorded off premises"......usually a bigger deterrent than the locks....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:55:26 PM EDT
These are going in an urban survival bag so sledgehammers and bolt cutters are too heavy.

If you have lockpicks can they really get you for having burgular tools? Other than showing proof that you are a locksmith is there a way to be legit about having them in your posession?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:24:46 PM EDT
For when your in a bit of a hurry... A few frangible breaching rounds for the 12ga for doors and a few in .45 for pad locks, etc...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:06:47 AM EDT
Lockpicks are fun, but also not super practical in most situations. Yes I carry them, but am more likely to use them in normal life than in an emergency.

Lockpicks are good for getting in and out of a lock without leaving trace. I use them a bit and find it a fun hobby.

Breaching and bypass are far more important for survival IMO. Much quicker in most cases. Time on target is a major factor in compromise. Noise will be also, so your breaching will need to be either quite or have cover.

How do I bypass locks or even the door itself with having to deal with the lock? How do I use coat hangers, rubber mat, line, etc, etc to open a latch, a push bar, or a knob from the wrong side of the door? Where is the nut that needs to be removed to get the vehicle security gate to roll free, and can I get to it from the outside? (I've found most have only one nut holding the chain in place, and once its off, the gate moves freely.)

Can I climb from balcony to balcony between levels of a hotel to avoid a search? Which security doors on a egress route can you instantly bypass but will stop an opponent from following?

Off subject for lockpicking but: Urban caching, surveillance detection; establishing a RON or Patrol Base that is safe and has multiple points of egress, and provides screening for noise and light, food and water gathering, early warning devices, a few things for urban survival.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:10:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 12:52:11 PM EDT by Echo2]
Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:
Lockpicks are fun, but also not super practical in most situations. Yes I carry them, but am more likely to use them in normal life than in an emergency.

Lockpicks are good for getting in and out of a lock without leaving trace. I use them a bit and find it a fun hobby.

Breaching and bypass are far more important for survival IMO. Much quicker in most cases. Time on target is a major factor in compromise. Noise will be also, so your breaching will need to be either quite or have cover.

How do I bypass locks or even the door itself with having to deal with the lock? How do I use coat hangers, rubber mat, line, etc, etc to open a latch, a push bar, or a knob from the wrong side of the door? Where is the nut that needs to be removed to get the vehicle security gate to roll free, and can I get to it from the outside? (I've found most have only one nut holding the chain in place, and once its off, the gate moves freely.)

Can I climb from balcony to balcony between levels of a hotel to avoid a search? Which security doors on a egress route can you instantly bypass but will stop an opponent from following?

Off subject for lockpicking but: Urban caching, surveillance detection; establishing a RON or Patrol Base that is safe and has multiple points of egress, and provides screening for noise and light, food and water gathering, early warning devices, a few things for urban survival.

Picks leave marks.....but the odds of anyone noticing are slim to none....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:35:59 AM EDT
DO NOT waste money on large kits 90% of the tools are never used

To properly answer your question I would get two types of picks and one type of rake (multiple of each, when you are learning you will break stuff) and then a large assortment of tension bars (4-7 different sizes)

you want diamonds, hooks and the squiggly rake

this basic set is ok in types and price. Only half the tools are worthless and you get a decent number of tension bars.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/DBA775-1.html

the I would get stuff to open warded locks and other padlocks:

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Warded-Padlock-Keys-p-1-c-857.html

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/Padlock-Shim-Set-p-17182.html

The there are other bypass tools:

http://www.basshome.com/product_108804_detailed.htm

that will get you started and having fun.

Get locks from freecycle sites and in lots from ebay.

Making your own tools is cool also.

Youtube is full of lockpicking and bypass videos
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:00:57 AM EDT
Sere Has a pick set with a bogota rake. It's supposed to be one of the top pick styles according to lockpicking101.com. One tool is an undercut diamond for SPP and the second tool is a bogota for raking/jiggling. The ends of each pick are also tension wrenches.

youtube review
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:08:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By shinoi:
Sere Has a pick set with a bogota rake. It's supposed to be one of the top pick styles according to lockpicking101.com. One tool is an undercut diamond for SPP and the second tool is a bogota for raking/jiggling. The ends of each pick are also tension wrenches.

youtube review

all the serepick stuff is awesome. I like the picks but for master locks and such they are too big for me. I'm still working on getting them to work for me. If I can they will be my 90% picks.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:32:35 PM EDT
If you are concerned about the whole "burglary tools" thing you can always take a few classes and get licensing online.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:02:30 PM EDT
What online licensing is there? Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:44:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chiaml:
What online licensing is there? Just curious.

http://www.aloa.org/about/

Check out this organization. http://www.aloa.org/membership/
Top Top