Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 10/1/2009 2:32:39 PM EDT
Caught wind of this deal on an off road board. Mine just showed up today, as advertised.

Thought it might help as all non CARB fuel cans are getting harder to find (and more expensive).

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/

ETA: I searched back 3 months and didn't see any results, sorry if it is a dupe....

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a dupe,but it's still a good deal and never hurts to keep people up on theseThey are some fine cans and with the shipping and nozzle included,it's even better.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Are these in good shape?
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are these in good shape?

Better than that,they are brand new! I bought a four pack and they were so nice I ordered another four!
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Review of these and others in the following thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=626666

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Great cans!  I bought 4, well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#6]
perfect I have 8 and fighting not to buy more
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I got mine the other day and they are in better than pristine condition.  I was shocked at how good they arrived.  I'm ordering 4 more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
If you dont need the free nozzle they will swap you for a few extra gaskets.  At least they did for me...nice folks with nice cans.....(hmm that didnt quite come out right )
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the link, Ive got eight on the way!
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I placed an order a couple minutes ago.  You guys better start calling dibs on my stuff now, because when my girlfriend finds out, I'm dead
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#11]
just when i thought i could save money. damnit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#12]
You guys see this post from the other thread?  I was just about to pull the trigger but this worries me.........

My Deutsche Optik cans are 100% air tight however when I put on the nozzle it leaks around the nozzle seal and the can... so much so that it makes using them impossible.

Anyone else have this problem?

I plan to call them this week to discuss it with them

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Note, I like these cans and I bought eight of them but for gassoline I do prefer the Scepter cans and there is a seller on EBAY that has something like 400 of them he has been selling off.  Link is in the linked thread above.  These cans are German made Jerry cans and they are 100% new and very good quality.  I use four of mine for Kerosene and the other four I keep put away in case I need them later, although I am thinking I should store more kerosene once I actually have a kerosene heater to use
 Right now, my kerosene is for my lanterns and multi-fuel stove.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Note, I like these cans and I bought eight of them but for gassoline I do prefer the Scepter cans and there is a seller on EBAY that has something like 400 of them he has been selling off. Link is in the linked thread above. These cans are German made Jerry cans and they are 100% new and very good quality. I use four of mine for Kerosene and the other four I keep put away in case I need them later, although I am thinking I should store more kerosene once I actually have a kerosene heater to use
Right now, my kerosene is for my lanterns and multi-fuel stove.

Are you using the metal spout that shipped with the German cans?  And if so is it leaking?

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Yes, I did use the spout I got with my German cans and I did not had any problems with leaks. Note, I did use three of these cans with Gasoline before I decided I like the Scepters for gassoline better.

Did you try putting some oil on the gasket to get a better seal?  Did you try the spout on several cans?  Do you have another spout to try?

The Scepter cap and nozzle I can hand crank pretty tight and I have far more confidence in the seal plus that nearly 2-foot long hose sure makes it easier to fill a car or truck much less something smaller like a generator.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, I did use the spout I got with my German cans and I did not had any problems with leaks. Note, I did use three of these cans with Gasoline before I decided I like the Scepters for gassoline better.

Did you try putting some oil on the gasket to get a better seal? Did you try the spout on several cans? Do you have another spout to try?

The Scepter cap and nozzle I can hand crank pretty tight and I have far more confidence in the seal plus that nearly 2-foot long hose sure makes it easier to fill a car or truck much less something smaller like a generator.

Yeah I love my Scepters, and have used them for gas.  No leaks and no spills.

I was thinking about buying some of the German cans b/c the price is right, and you can never have too many MFC on hand right?  I was just concerned about the post I quoted and don't want to buy them if the spout is going to leak all over the place - I'd rather just drop more coin on the Scepters.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#17]
EBAD seller auntboo82
 - no relation but he said he bought several hundred used scepters and they were $130/4.  They are used, and they are scratched up but plenty of life in them to the point that I am sure they would out live these German Wedco style jerry cans!  He is on vacation at the moment but he promised he will have more listed soon (I want four more to get me upto 12 of the Scepters).  

I only plan to keep eight of the scepters filled with gassoline (40-gal is enough to keep in the shed) but in an emergency four more Scepter plus I do have another seven of the Wedoc style cans that are not in use gives me another 55gal capacity or 95-galons total.  I also like having extra empty cans in case I would need them for kerosene, diesel, or ???

Someday, these cheap PREBAN Nato gas cans will be something that more people will wish they had bought when they could get them.  Prices have already climbed, but I expect they will be more expensive sooner then later.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Where did I read that ethanol additives in gasoline makes these steel cans rust? Are we talking about 10-15% ethanol blends? I swear it was somewhere around here.

And, is there anything that can prevent or treat that issue (aside from not buying gasoline with ethanol)?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=627402

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=34&t=378124

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=627989

Yes, ethanol will cause rusting in steel gas cans. You can add water to your gas and then do a phase seperation but you will loose some of your octane level in the process and I hate to think what a PITA it would be to suck the water out of the bottom.

The best is to find non-ethanol contaminated gas if you can.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I just bought 4.

Thank you for the heads-up on these!
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Where did I read that ethanol additives in gasoline makes these steel cans rust? Are we talking about 10-15% ethanol blends? I swear it was somewhere around here.

And, is there anything that can prevent or treat that issue (aside from not buying gasoline with ethanol)?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=627402

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=34&t=378124

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=627989

Yes, ethanol will cause rusting in steel gas cans. You can add water to your gas and then do a phase seperation but you will loose some of your octane level in the process and I hate to think what a PITA it would be to suck the water out of the bottom.

The best is to find non-ethanol contaminated gas if you can.

I thought that if I had to do the phase separation that I would pour the gas off the top.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Yea, you can do that too but using a container with a spigot out the bottom would make it easier to ensure you removed the water without mixing it as you try to pour. Just add ethanol contaminated gas and water in a translucent container. Let it seperate and then open the spigot to remove the water from the bottom.  If you used a clear plstic hose on the spigot you could see the color change from water/ethanol to yellow gassoline too.  Very little waste that way.

Either way, it does not sound like a fun task!
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yea, you can do that too but using a container with a spigot out the bottom would make it easier to ensure you removed the water without mixing it as you try to pour. Just add ethanol contaminated gas and water in a translucent container. Let it seperate and then open the spigot to remove the water from the bottom.  If you used a clear plstic hose on the spigot you could see the color change from water/ethanol to yellow gassoline too.  Very little waste that way.

Either way, it does not sound like a fun task!

gats jar
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#24]
4 cans for $127. with "Free" shipping =

4 $15. cans with shipping already factored into the price, then the tag of "FREE shipping" thrown in to try to make the deal sound sweet.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are these in good shape?

Better than that,they are brand new! I bought a four pack and they were so nice I ordered another four!

Ditto,very nice
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

4 $15. cans with shipping already factored into the price, then the tag of "FREE shipping" thrown in to try to make the deal sound sweet.

$15 cans seems like a good deal to me. especially brand new ones.

i'll see when mine show up.

page 2
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think $67.00 for shipping might be alittle steep I know these are not as cheap as they used to be but,
I personally feel the price including shipping and a nozzle is what we will look back on as a good deal someday soon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sure, you show me where you can get Nato Jerry cans for $15 and I'll pay you the shipping.

Good luck

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought 16 of them last night-we'll see if they ship them to NH (there was nothing on the site to indicate that they wouldn't).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bought 16 of them last night-we'll see if they ship them to NH (there was nothing on the site to indicate that they wouldn't).

I think when you order that many at once it's time for an intervention

Link Posted: 10/3/2009 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, you show me where you can get Nato Jerry cans for $15 and I'll pay you the shipping.

Good luck

Exactly.
The deal for 127 shipped is probably the best out there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#32]
You guys must really enjoy spending money on Gas Cans to pay those type of prices!

Hers some I recently bought...

The 3 red Blitz cans I bought at a local auction for $5 for all and also I got a pretty nice WWII folding shovel complete with cover with them. The cans were mint still had thier paper labels and 2 have the nozzles attached still....Since I bought them they have been setting outside  waiting for me to get around to storing them away so a little dirty....The other can on the right is a Nato can I picked up at a Flea Market for $3. I have a couple more in the barn that have  thier nozzels and I didn't pay much for them either.
....These cans even in mint or excellent condition are VERY common to find at Flea Markets and auctions and other used good places and are always priced cheap. In my experance most sellers are glad to get rid of them........T
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 4:32:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You guys must really enjoy spending money on Gas Cans to pay those type of prices!

Hers some I recently bought...

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2300199/aview/MVC-001F.JPG

The 3 red Blitz cans I bought at a local auction for $5 for all and also I got a pretty nice WWII folding shovel complete with cover with them. The cans were mint still had thier paper labels and 2 have the nozzles attached still....Since I bought them they have been setting outside  waiting for me to get around to storing them away so a little dirty....The other can on the right is a Nato can I picked up at a Flea Market for $3. I have a couple more in the barn that have  thier nozzels and I didn't pay much for them either.
....These cans even in mint or excellent condition are VERY common to find at Flea Markets and auctions and other used good places and are always priced cheap. In my experance most sellers are glad to get rid of them........T

I managed to get a few this summer at flea markets for 10 a pop. Good shape NATO gans.
It's the best bet because you aren't going to get any retail for that ballpark.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

supply and demand.......so where are theses 15.00 new unissued  cans you speak of ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Pretty much all the nozzles leak on this type of can.  I love the can type, but use a siphon tube.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

supply and demand.......so where are theses 15.00 new unissued  cans you speak of ?

Second in line for that deal...

I paid more for the last batch of NATO cans that I bought then the current deal cost me. And they were surplus (admittedly in good shape) but not brand new, nor did they come with a spout.

Link Posted: 10/3/2009 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pretty much all the nozzles leak on this type of can.  I love the can type, but use a siphon tube.

Doc

The other thing about using siphon tubes is it's easier for a woman/child to transfer gas without having to hold up and pour the can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I ordered a 4 pack.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Just ordered 4. I'm sick to death of the new CARB ones that I have to deal with.

Thanks for the head's up OP!
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in... (for 4 more)
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I was at the last step in ordering 4 of those cans, and they added an additional $17 bucks in shipping or some shit to the price.  Screw that noise.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was at the last step in ordering 4 of those cans, and they added an additional $17 bucks in shipping or some shit to the price.  Screw that noise.

Unless the deal has changed the shipping won't actually be charged.  It was added on to mine but it had said earlier to disregard it.  I got an email after the purchase was complete notifying me that shipping was subtracted per the offer.  Only charged what the ad stated.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/3/2009 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#43]
It says in the ad to disregard the shipping.

I ordered some and if the spout leaks I have a couple of large funnels I can use.

I'm tired of fucking with those Carb cans.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was at the last step in ordering 4 of those cans, and they added an additional $17 bucks in shipping or some shit to the price. Screw that noise.

Unless the deal has changed the shipping won't actually be charged. It was added on to mine but it had said earlier to disregard it. I got an email after the purchase was complete notifying me that shipping was subtracted per the offer. Only charged what the ad stated. YMMV.

Thanks, I'll go back and try to read it this time.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered a 4 pack.  We'll see.

Got my shipping confirmation on Saturday, and my Visa debit account was hit. Looks like we're GTG-can't wait to dump my godawful CARB cans

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Doc

Where does one find this siphon tube you speak of?
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#47]
i bought 8 from that website for nearly the same price that i paid for 4 off expedition exchange!  i'm not sure how well the deutche optics gas can gaskets will hold up to gasoline, because my cans had the nozzle area colored yellow, which i assume indicates it was designed to be used with diesel.  good thing i ordered a few spare gaskets (which i hope are chemically compatible with gas).  i may buy more  my savings account/creditcards hate ar15.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

Where does one find this siphon tube you speak of?

Any hose will do.  A section of garden hose has been the common source probably since Jerry cans became available.  Gas destroys some plastics though, and garden hose is destroyed by gas.  You can get plastic hose by the foot at hardware stores, polypropylene is ok to use vinyl is not IIRC.

Or you can google super siphon
About $10 at Harbor Freight
I think I saw them on clearance at my local Gander Mountain.

ETA forgot to list fuel hose from the auto parts store.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#49]
[/quote]

Where does one find this siphon tube you speak of?[/quote]

try this

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Glad to see that this deal is helping some folks out.

I do have a question about these cans. Can they be stored (not long term) on their side safely?

When laid down, they are the exact same height as the roof rack on my truck. I am debating fabricating mounts to carry two cans laid down (long side), but don't want to if they are going to leak gas all over the place. They won't live up there full time, just for desert trips or (God forbid) bugging out.

Seems like it should be just fine, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top