Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've finally dipped my wick in this area finally at home.  We deploy Axis cameras all over the enterprise at work and terminate those on the Genetec solution.  Currently, I'm playing with a ring doorbell.  I've been thinking about some hikvision cameras for the house over my internal POE network.

Any thoughts on the doorbell from ring?  I got that as a gift.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#2]
nm ill figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sterling18:
I've finally dipped my wick in this area finally at home.  We deploy Axis cameras all over the enterprise at work and terminate those on the Genetec solution.  Currently, I'm playing with a ring doorbell.  I've been thinking about some hikvision cameras for the house over my internal POE network.

Any thoughts on the doorbell from ring?  I got that as a gift.
View Quote
I bought a "Ring" doorbell at Costco once and returned it. It worked half the time. Sometimes it may take several minutes to receive a notification of someone ringing the bell or motion detected in the area. Sometimes it never rang on the remote end at all. There was often a lot of network latency that caused a two-way conversation somewhat problematic. I honestly expected a lot better performance for the price I paid.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:42:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoVaGator] [#4]
Finally got around to ordering yesterday.

got this with a 4 GB HD:
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/nsn-608-8p-8-channel-poe-plug-n-play-hi-def-nvr-recorder-760.html

one of these:http://www.nellyssecurity.com/nsc-2x4-dm-4mp-wdr-exir-turret-ip-security-camera-2-8mm.html

one of these: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/nsc-2x4-bt-4mp-exir-ip-bullet-security-camera-4mm.html

I'll use those to figure out which of my cam locations work with 2.8 or 4mm, and which form factor (dome or bullet) works better
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
this Camera and the 2mp version blow the 5 mp cameras away, and since they can be set to patrol they have the ability to cover more ground than 3 fixed cameras
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the shipment

This bullet cam is BIG
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#8]
whats the difference between a turret and a dome? maybe less dome reflections on a turret? are the IR LED's generally better or worse on a turret?

I got my hikvision 4ch nvr and single 4mp dome working. can use the app or web interface but only on the lan, havent figured out this stupid Uverse wifi router. May just disable it and get a better netgear AC wifi router. or maybe go seperate wifi and router with unbunto or something. Now I just need 3 more cameras. Plan to add one to the street side of the house to see whats happening
at the driveway and when my Daugher goes to school which is literally
across the street. and probably one on the back patio/master bedroom
sliding door and the dog kennel out back. possibly one in the living
room/kitchen as well.

I got a cheap IR flood from amazon to help at night with my semi large driveway, and I'm pretty impressed for $22 prime. Build quality "feels" pretty solid. only time will tell how well it holds up.

Before and after pics.

Far wall is just about 20 yards from camera.
Amazon Product
  • Automatically turn ON and OFF. Built-in light sensor, the CCTV ir illuminator will be automatically turn on at night and turn off at daytime.
  • Waterproof IP65.Ideal for both outdoor and indoor use. With high quality aluminum case and reinforced glass window.
  • Greatly improve the performance for night vision cameras. Built-in 6pcs high power LED lights, view angle 90 degree, IR light distance about 65ft. The IR illuminator help producing better night vision image,best work with wide angle IP cameras and CCTV cameras.

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
woo hoo

got the first camera bench tested and then physically installed

working great on the NVR, but can't figure out the whole iVMS thing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/internet-cameras-expose-private-video-feeds-and-remote-controls/

Internet cameras have hard-coded password that can’t be changed
Cameras with multiple brand names are wide open to remote hacking.

Security cameras manufactured by China-based Foscam are vulnerable to remote take-over hacks that allow attackers to view video feeds, download stored files, and possibly compromise other devices connected to a local network. That's according to a 12-page report released Wednesday by security firm F-Secure.

Besides the Foscam and Opticom brands, F-Secure said it was aware of 14 other brands used to market Foscam-made devices. They include:

Chacon
   Thomson
   7links
   Opticam
   Netis
   Turbox
   Novodio
   Ambientcam
   Nexxt
   Technaxx
   Qcam
   Ivue
   Ebode
   Sab

People who running one of these devices should strongly consider running them inside a dedicated local network that doesn't have access to other connected devices and can't be reached from the outside Internet.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:21:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thewrencher] [#12]
Although this thread is full of great info it still makes my head spin when I try to figure out a good system for myself. I found the following on amazon
and am looking for opinions on it. It will be for inside and outside use in a industrial park building. Inside I can leave some lights on. Outside I am hoping
to find a way to put them towards the top of the building. Outside looking at a height of about 15 to 20 feet. Do have some lighting outside. Outside
viewing distance I estimate at 50 to 80 feet. I figure I will have to add remote operated domes outside. Also plan on running cat5e cable for everything.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6KUKMY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Thanks for the help- Wrencher
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#13]
So I got my setup working now after quite a bit of struggling to find the info needed to configure the DDNS, a broken wifi router that wouldnt let me port forward, and settings for everything. I am using the new HIK-CONNECT DDNS, it does work and was fairly easy to setup but it seems kinda slow, is there a better DDNS thats free or cheap?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#14]
I need some help with one of my IP cameras.
I recently reran the CAT6 cable to the camera and now the camera is acting off.

I was finally able to log into it but as soon as I log in, I receive an authentication error and the camera kicks me out.

Why is this happening?

I found an IP conflict with my 3rd (new) camera. Both end in .108.

I got my camera to work but I had to unplug the third camera.

Off to do some configuration......
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoVaGator] [#15]
Darkness with the EXIP cams I posted earlier:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
That doesn't suck.

It's funny to me that you couldn't touch performance like that for <$1000 just a few years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoVaGator:
Darkness with the EXIP cams I posted earlier:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26797/Screen-Shot-2017-06-11-at-9-228769.JPG
That doesn't suck.

It's funny to me that you couldn't touch performance like that for <$1000 just a few years ago.
yeah, I'm really happy with this EXIR performance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:12:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bcamp15] [#18]
Hey guys, I am a total noob when it comes to a security camera system. Just this morning my wife called and said that someone had been in her car last night. She usually parks in the garage and rarely locks her car when its in there. She parked outside and forgot to lock it, nothing was stolen.

So, I am looking for a camera system that will fit my needs for around 500-600 bucks (If possible). I would like it to take pics when motion is detected, be able to view my camera from anywhere, record 24/7? (not sure about this), have the ability to expand (add cameras in the house down the road), and I would assume wired by Cat5/6 would be best. I have a desktop pc I could use if that is possible and I dont mind building a system if that gets me my best bang for my buck.

I can answer any specific questions, I just dont know near enough to feel comfortable just ordering something off amazon and I am hoping that yall could help me out! I will try to read more of this thread, but in the meantime hopefully yall can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for yalls time and help!

Eta: Looks like hikvision cameras may be a good route. Right now I just want to get a couple camera up for the front of the house. I will definitely need to add a hdd to my pc, what elese do I need to get to get these two camera up and running? Scratch using my pc. I think I would rather use an NVR or get a NAS. 

Dome Camera  Bullet Camera
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
My dad asked me to pick out some hardware to get his house set up for cameras. His design objectives are all exterior sides covered with wired cameras and the potential to add a couple cameras inside that will likely need to be wireless (ugh). I talked him into having some cat5 pulled for the outdoor cameras, they have achievable routs through the attics and garage. Once that is in I can help him do the configuration. I have always been a build it yourself guy but because I  won't be around to tinker this one until it works I decided to just go with a ready to go NVR. I have had outstanding performance from Hikvision gear at my home so that's likely where I am leaning.

NVR: Nelly's 16ch PoE NVR

Outdoor cameras: H-series 4mp camera

I haven't really decided on a wifi camera. I've never used one with a dedicated NVR. I assume that the NVR sets up its own camera subnet so either the NVR will need to act as a wifi access point for the wireless cameras or they will need to come through the main access point and be able to route to the NVR. How is this typically done with wireless cameras?

I give him credit for being willing to have the wired outside where the runs are pretty easy into the attic but hes not willing to drill and cut into his ceilings and walls to run cable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#21]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#22]

You have to add them manually... but the DVR will do it.  Those DVRs will take camera streams from the "WAN" side of the network, in addition to streams taken from the internal LAN it has on its built-in switch.  It takes up a "channel" on the DVR, and you will need the IP address of the camera on the local LAN, and the password.

Just make sure the wifi cameras are on the same subnet as the DVR's "WAN" port.
View Quote
I suspected as much so thanks for the confirmation. Are the Hickvision NVRs brand agnostic? Or will they take an H264 feed from any camera? My go to indoor camera is the Foscam C2. I have been amazed how well they work for a wireless camera. Dead nuts reliable for $50.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
whats the difference between a turret and a dome? maybe less dome reflections on a turret? are the IR LED's generally better or worse on a turret?

I got my hikvision 4ch nvr and single 4mp dome working. can use the app or web interface but only on the lan, havent figured out this stupid Uverse wifi router. May just disable it and get a better netgear AC wifi router. or maybe go seperate wifi and router with unbunto or something. Now I just need 3 more cameras. Plan to add one to the street side of the house to see whats happening
at the driveway and when my Daugher goes to school which is literally
across the street. and probably one on the back patio/master bedroom
sliding door and the dog kennel out back. possibly one in the living
room/kitchen as well.

I got a cheap IR flood from amazon to help at night with my semi large driveway, and I'm pretty impressed for $22 prime. Build quality "feels" pretty solid. only time will tell how well it holds up.

Before and after pics.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/slappomatt/192.168.1.131_01_20170601223156809_zpsmonut3cj.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/slappomatt/192.168.1.131_01_20170601223102605_zpsbwuhoatt.jpg

Far wall is just about 20 yards from camera.
www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6K407Q
View Quote
Cool I have been looking for one of those.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a somewhat related question. We have an inactive ADT system. Is there anyway to use the exsisting wireless sensors with a new self monitoring system?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Look at the cable connnectors... those are BNC.  That's a system you'd use to retrofit an older analog system, and upgrade the cameras/DVR without replacing the cables.

If you're starting from scratch, go with straight IP (using network cable) rather than TVI
View All Quotes
Look at the cable connnectors... those are BNC.  That's a system you'd use to retrofit an older analog system, and upgrade the cameras/DVR without replacing the cables.

If you're starting from scratch, go with straight IP (using network cable) rather than TVI
What are the negatives of the BNC?  I have access to oodles of CAT5 and CAT6 so your recommendation works well for me, just looking for a supported complete system that won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]
So looking at replacing two of my Acti E73 domes with some newer bullets for better night viewing. I will be re-using the Acti domes in other areas where I have older non-IR domes. How are the Nelly's 5mb bullets or is there another bullet I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
So looking at replacing two of my Acti E73 domes with some newer bullets for better night viewing. I will be re-using the Acti domes in other areas where I have older non-IR domes. How are the Nelly's 5mb bullets or is there another bullet I should be looking at?
View Quote
go with the Hikvision mini pzt, blows away my 5 mp bullet
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By coldair:
go with the Hikvision mini pzt, blows away my 5 mp bullet
View Quote
More than I want to spend and I do not need the PTZ feature as I have several overlapping views. I am also surprised that the lower mp dome does better than the 5 mp bullet. I thought bullets provided a better picture.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]
that PZT is auto tracking and I have it mounted where I have a bullet and dome thinking I had great coverage and that camera takes the place of both cameras and then some. plus the night time clarity is unreal
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

What are the negatives of the BNC?  I have access to oodles of CAT5 and CAT6 so your recommendation works well for me, just looking for a supported complete system that won't break the bank.
View Quote
Is there a recommended ethernet complete system?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Any of them could work, depending on how many cameras you need... but they don't come with cable, generally speaking.

Don't buy "CVI" or "TVI" systems, as those are for retrofitting a previously-installed analog system.
View Quote
I didn't see any at Nellys, any other recommended resellers?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Might have been asked before but does this Nelly's Security ever have promo codes or sales?  I won't be needing the system till late this year but am starting to look now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By goodasgone81:
Might have been asked before but does this Nelly's Security ever have promo codes or sales?  I won't be needing the system till late this year but am starting to look now.
View Quote
I don't specifically remember promo codes but since I have an account with them (IE signed up on their website) I get fliers with new product info and closeout deals occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By coldair:
that PZT is auto tracking and I have it mounted where I have a bullet and dome thinking I had great coverage and that camera takes the place of both cameras and then some. plus the night time clarity is unreal
View Quote
Which specific PTZ camera are you referring to? I want to see how good the auto tracking is.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#41]
There are a bunch of them at Nelly's, right under the TVI systems.  

I'm confused at what you're looking for?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

I didn't see any at Nellys, any other recommended resellers?
There are a bunch of them at Nelly's, right under the TVI systems.  

I'm confused at what you're looking for?
I understand now, it was a failing on my part regarding nomenclature, not your excellent and free advice.  I hope to be making a purchase soon and thank you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By beavo451:

Which specific PTZ camera are you referring to? I want to see how good the auto tracking is.
View Quote
this one
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm looking at Nelly's camera. Are they rebranded Hikvision with custom firmware or just Hikvision cameras? Does anyone have experience with this camera? 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Can anyone in the know give input on this

3MP Vari-Focal Dome IP

On the youtube video on that page the Nelly's security guys says it's the OEM nc303vd which is the Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I .... researching the Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I it gets bad reviews on amazon but only because it's the Chinese verision but it sounds like these are for the US market have the nc303vd OEM on the packaging.

I'm considering getting ten since it does look like a crazy good price, so good that I'm wondering if these are some of the shitty one's that the few reviews on amazon are talking about.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#48]
ten of those cameras the 8 channel DVR .... 4x50' cable and 4x100' cable is something like $1350.  Me being the deal hunter I am I signed up at an unrelated forum that I'm suppose to get a 5% discount code from Nelly's sent to me ... if that comes through before those cameras sell out then I'm pulling the trigger, if it doesn't I'm taking it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be :)
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a few of the hikvision 2031 bullet cameras, and would like to upgrade to a full NVR system.

can my older hikvisions plug into one of the NVR?  they are the 1.3MP style, can they go on a 4k NVR?

if so what NVR is the recommened one to get? is 4k worth the extra money?  and what are the new dome and bullet cameras that are worth getting?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#50]
another way to ask,

What NVR should I get so that I can eventually upgrade to better cameras but still be able to use the ones I have right now?
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top