User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag-O-Matic
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]

I have some native pecan trees I planted.  At nine years they've started putting on some nuts... not many, but any is better than none.

One of my aunts planted, I believe a Mahan, pecan tree in her chicken yard... after three years it'd shot up to twenty feet, and was bushy as all get out, and produced pecans.  Next year, it grew even more, and has bushels of pecans each year now.  Of course she has great dirt to begin with, and all the chicken poo don't hurt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
saved from the archives, LOL
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FordGuy:

So how are the trees doing?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
fabuluth!!!  My favorite tree is Mollies Delicious grafted to M111.  Disease free, strong roots, apple is magical!  Bright red and tasty!
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
How about an update?
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You need to buy yourself a suppressor if you don't have one already so you can stock up on Venison too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Hah - i wish i had seen this thread a few years ago.  I've planted a total of 15 different varieties to see which do best in the lower part of zone 8.  Also planted a few jujubes and almonds, all on M111.  I was expecting to lose a few apple trees due to the weather, humidity etc out here.  Last year a couple apples got powdery mildew pretty bad and stunted them and a young buck tore a couple of them up by rutting a number of branches off.  He's currently in the freezer thinking about his transgressions. I got all my trees from Trees of Antiquity - i'll have to look at your vendor; i'm planning on purchasing a few more random trees like peaches and maybe a few more almonds and jujubes.  Apples are a lot of spraying, which I knew up front.

Apples aren't grown around here - not a great place to grow them, but we'll see.  The problem is I have nobody to ask about proper pruning etc and nobody knows a damn thing about spraying or spray schedules so I've kinda had to wing it the past two years.  Year one was obviously a bit of a failure.  Also had some problems with pruning - I'm pretty sure I got them pruned properly, but it's always nice to have someone actually show you what needs cutting instead of guessing.  If you don't mind, next year can I shoot you some pics and make sure I do it right before I fuck it up?  
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Fruit trees here in the north east do not like to get there feet wet. The soil needs to have good drainage.

Second, the first few years they need protection from the deer. The buggers will strip them pretty much bare. I use stockade fencing that is self supporting when you make a 5' or 6' diameter fence.

Protect the base of the tree from mice in the winter or they will girth the tree...

Spraying and pruning increases your crop...

Good luck...
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
FG, you can make some wicked-good vodka with apples...
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I live between 2 apple orchards. Come TEOTWAWKI, I will be fine... as long as I don't run out of toilet paper.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Plattekill:
I live between 2 apple orchards. Come TEOTWAWKI, I will be fine... as long as I don't run out of toilet paper.

Subscribe to the New York Times and Washington Post, they make great toilet paper or for any other crap you want to put on them.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Glad you did! Some really good info here. I'm happy I didn't miss this one! TAG!

Good job, Ford and looking forward to some pics of the orchard.

Redman

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Doing OK Joe!  The greatest mystery of my life is how two trees growing feet apart, same rootstock, same rainfall and irrigation and fertilizer, same nursery, same graftsman, can grow so differently!  Real adventure and I am enjoying it.

Thanks for looking at this Joe.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pickupdan:
Fruit trees here in the north east do not like to get there feet wet. The soil needs to have good drainage.

Second, the first few years they need protection from the deer. The buggers will strip them pretty much bare. I use stockade fencing that is self supporting when you make a 5' or 6' diameter fence.

Protect the base of the tree from mice in the winter or they will girth the tree...

Spraying and pruning increases your crop...

Good luck...

all good advice!
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Just planted 4 at my place in Maine. Definitely going to order some more to plant next summer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I put 20 apple trees in the spring, most from Stark but a few Liberty's from One Green World.  All are varieties that purport to be cedar rust resistant, which is my biggest issue here locally.  Most all are m7, all semi dwarf and in 2 rows with 15' spacing.

Still need to run the drip lines.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like it’s been over a year since he posted. Would be interesting to hear about the orchards progress.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
I put 20 apple trees in the spring, most from Stark but a few Liberty's from One Green World.  All are varieties that purport to be cedar rust resistant, which is my biggest issue here locally.  Most all are m7, all semi dwarf and in 2 rows with 15' spacing.

Still need to run the drip lines.
View Quote

Still going strong buddy.  Learned a lot about what varieties naturally grow well and which ones need more attention.  Shifted to grapes and wine making also.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Look up apple-ceder rust.  Then go kill every Ceder tree w/in a mile, if possible.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#21]
The orchard turned out to be a real winner.  I put cows in there - what apples I don't collect the cows get.  I raise 2 hogs right next to it also.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#22]
The orchard turned out to be a real winner.  I put cows in there - what apples I don't collect the cows get.  I raise 2 hogs right next to it also.
View Quote
It's been ten years.  How about a picture?
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Seeing this thread for thr first time. I grow 2 acres of blueberries and 1 acre of pumpkins. Thinking of getting some apples to make cider for family and friends. Anyone have info on a small hobbyist press?
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By xdoctor:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xdoctor:
I believe this to be a fair ask.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#25]

I have about 10 pecans that are young, planted about 3 years ago.  I will be long dead before they produce anything of worth.

View Quote

Depending on variety, they should have nuts by year 6-7. What varieties?
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Just saw the date of the first post.

Just planted 10 peach trees to go with my other 4.
Roughly 20 blueberries, 85 pecan trees, 10 satsumas, and a couple of elderberries and mulberries.  Had the Dept of agriculture guy map out an irrigation system so hopefully there is a cost share involved.

Old men plant trees, young men harvest.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#27]
After scrounging the local Tractor Supply, Lowes, Walmart, and HD for late fall clearance fruit trees, I am now up to 18. I got a total of 3 apples last year. I now have snow fencing surrounding the "orchard" and will need to get piping to protect the bases from rodents. We have a bunch of paw-paw trees growing around the property but their actual fruit season is quite short. Our 4 peach trees did great this year. Two had a lot of growth and really exploded with fruit. I plan to spray and fertilize a lot more this year with the hopes of producing more fruit.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Klugman:
Seeing this thread for thr first time. I grow 2 acres of blueberries and 1 acre of pumpkins. Thinking of getting some apples to make cider for family and friends. Anyone have info on a small hobbyist press?
View Quote

@klugman

We have some blueberries and a small pumpkin patch, but neither to that scale.

What do you do for amendments and fertilizers?  

And @FordGuy - great to see this thread up again, pics would be awesome.  

We're up to 50 or so apple trees and a dozen plum and pears.  We also put in elderberry this year.

I'm also reforesting one of our hillier pastures with black walnut.  They were naturally occurring volunteers that I've been intentionally leaving when bush hogging the pasture - to create a silvopasture effect.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#29]
What part of SC are you in?  I recently purchased some land in Williamsburg county and would love to plant some apples (and other hardwoods).  Great thread.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]

@klugman

We're up to 50 or so apple trees and a dozen plum and pears.  We also put in elderberry this year.

I'm also reforesting one of our hillier pastures with black walnut.  They were naturally occurring volunteers that I've been intentionally leaving when bush hogging the pasture - to create a silvopasture effect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@klugman

@kallnojoy

Not sure of your location, but if your south your berries would be a different variety than mine. My amendment was horsemanure and sulfur tilled in nine months before planting. (I planted in 2010).  Every spring I spread sulfur over the top of the wood chips in April - this helps keep the pH low, you want to be around 4.5. At flower bloom I apply granular ammonium sulfate 21-0-0. Six weeks later I repeat the fertilizer. Urea 46-0-0 could be a substitute, but does not have any sulfur in it. Any other form of nitrogen is not recommended and could be harmful. I wood chip or straw every two years. Blueberries like water, mine are on drip. Lot of information at Michigan State University web page.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#31]

@kallnojoy

Not sure of your location, but if your south your berries would be a different variety than mine. My amendment was horsemanure and sulfur tilled in nine months before planting. (I planted in 2010).  Every spring I spread sulfur over the top of the wood chips in April - this helps keep the pH low, you want to be around 4.5. At flower bloom I apply granular ammonium sulfate 21-0-0. Six weeks later I repeat the fertilizer. Urea 46-0-0 could be a substitute, but does not have any sulfur in it. Any other form of nitrogen is not recommended and could be harmful. I wood chip or straw every two years. Blueberries like water, mine are on drip. Lot of information at Michigan State University web page.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the details.  I'm central/north KY, so not too far south of you.  We planted a variety of north and southern types just to see what might do best.  I need to get better at maintaining the PH, so I appreciate the insight on how you do it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 8:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dash1b] [#32]
We have an orchard in New Mexico.  800 trees.  Apple varieties are Lodi, Gala, Early Golden Delicious, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Winesaps, Granny Smiths and Arkansas Blacks.   Sickle pear and Lincoln pear.  

The apples all pretty much ripen in the order listed over a 45 day period.  The early apples are short shelf life with the later apples a more prolonged shelflife.  

For drying and freeze drying my favorites are the Lincoln pear and the Winesap apples.  

For baking I like the Red Delicious apple - big, sweet and juicy.  The natural sweetness lends itself to needing less sugar for baking.  

And for eating this year, my favorite apple varies from year to year, the Red Delicious was my favorite this year.  Juice would splurt out of the apple with the first bite.  Nice sweet, juicy apple.  

All in all a good old timey prepper food for canning, freezing and drying.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi - I would be glad to connect with you and share my experience, lessons learned, mistakes, etc.  Let me know if that would be helpful for you.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top