Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 2:57:06 AM EDT
I just purchased tickets to go down to Patagonia with two friends. We are going to be camping, hiking, and fly fishing for two and a half weeks around Puerto Montt, San Carlos de Bariloche, and Punta Arenas. I was more of a spin cast guy growing up and the only experience I have with a fly rod was using my grandpa's 1940's vintage fiberglass flyrod with braided waxed line. I need some direction on what kind of rod I should be using, what weight, what kind of flys, what kind of waders, etc. Can somebody give me some direction ? Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't have near enough information for anyone to tell you.

Exactly what river(s)?
Size of fish?
Size of streams?
Exact time of year?
What are the hatches?

You probably need to contact your guide, if using one and see what they say. Short of that, a visit to your local fly shop. Are you near an Orvis store?

Another thing to try is go to YouTube and see if the are/streams you will be on have been videoed by someone already.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have fished there and have friends who fish there regularly. There are a large variety of waters to fish down there. A large majority of the really good waters are on giant estancias. When I fished there I fished mostly a 5wt switching to a 7 on the bigger rivers. If I took one rod it would be a 9' 5wt with a wf-5 floating line. A smart person would also take a spare spool with a sink tip for stripping buggers and streamers.

Talk with your travel buddies and see what they are planning to bring. Follow suit or to conserve cargo each bring a different rod and trade up. That option ensures full coverage for any stream you may encounter.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've fished down there a couple of times.  the poster above is right.  A good 5wt and 7wt 9foot rods (mine are Winstons and I love them) A couple of reels with decent drags.  A wt fwd and sink tip lines  for each rod.  Bring plenty of leaders and tippet.  Flies:  Ask your guide service or a friend that has been down there before.  Waders and boots:  Get a good rugged pair of each that fit well.  I like Simms.  Tight Lines
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top