Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2017 4:27:27 PM EDT
I'll be doing a lot of fly fishing for bluegill in the Devils River ( South Texas ) in the near future.  The water is extremely clear.  Any suggestions on effective patterns?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I was fishing for gills yesterday in Tahoe, the water is super clear as well.  They seem to go after anything here. But I used an Adams, a Prince Nymph, and a tan foam Beatle with white legs. Could have caught them all with those.  I've had then hit my split shot before when using my spinning gear.  I love fishing for gills, a lot of fun, and sight fishing for them is even better.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience fishing in Texas, but I have caught many hundreds of Bluegills in Virginia on bass poppers, usually black with white legs.

I have had the best success with black.  If it is the middle of the day and the fish just aren't hitting top water, I go with a wooly bugger; olive is my favorite color for these.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I'll tie up some of those asap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top