Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2017 11:50:20 AM EDT
When I was a kid growing up we fished a lot with wet flies not nymphing like is done now.   We used an across or slightly downstream, drift, and lift on the swing type of casting rather than casting upstream into a seam or a pocket.  I don't see much of it anymore though.  We used a lot of woven hair flies like the Sandy Mite and several related flies.  

Anybody here fish the wet or soft hackle flies for trout?  Favorite patterns?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#1]
A good woolly bugger will get it done when the #22 whatever's won't
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I know.  But the wooly bugger is one step up from a San Juan Worm.  

I need to make up a wet fly, soft hackle, streamer box.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I would never admit to it, but I know some guys who add a soft hackle off the back of their spey flies...

I love fishing soft hackles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Going through my flies assortment I've found a few, very few, soft hackle flies.  Hoping I can get to the river Saturday and experiment some.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never had much success with soft hackle wet flies.
Regular nymphs I do OK with.
When I got started tying as a boy in the 1970s, I tied a few varieties of old school wet flies.   They were bulky and I don't recall catching anything on them, but then I didn't become a more proficient fly fisher for some time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I only use streamers and wet flies proceeding downstream, no more than 2 casts before moving.  I have great luck across the country with old standbys like wooly buggers, coachmen, muddler minnows, and march browns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top