Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 7:21:13 PM EDT
I'm in Central Oregon and looking for my first fly rod.      This would be used for trout in the local lakes and rivers.

I looking at either the TFO BVK or the G Loomis Pro4    in a 9ft 5wt.       I know the TFO is an import and is 249.00 with the G Loomis is made in the USA and cost 375.00.

Comments?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in Central Oregon and looking for my first fly rod.      This would be used for trout in the local lakes and rivers.

I looking at either the TFO BVK or the G Loomis Pro4    in a 9ft 5wt.       I know the TFO is an import and is 249.00 with the G Loomis is made in the USA and cost 375.00.

Comments?

Thanks
View Quote

I don't know those two rods (and fly rod models are changed so frequently it's hard to keep up,) but if you are new to fly fishing and looking for an "all 'rounder" first rod, a medium to medium fast action rod would be a good choice. No faster than medium fast, Imo.

A medium to medium fast will be reasonably forgiving and will be more pleasant to use with nymps and weight than a faster action rod. A medium to medium fast action 5wt rod can do for smaller streamers and sliders for small mouth bass too, if you have them.

If your rivers have some reasonable size or are not brush choked a 9' would be better than a shorter option.

I have rods from a bunch of makers, from 6'11" 3wt to 9' 11wt. It's the rod blank and components that make a rod a good tool, not the brand. That said, I have four Loomis rods, a 7'6" 4wt, a 9' 4wt, two 9' 9wts and all are great.

JPK
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not cast either.

You need to. Everyone has a casting style that needs to be matched to a rod. What works for me may not work for you.

If you can cast each of them and you decide. If it is your first rod don't worry too much about it. The fish don't care what rod you are using.

Tight lines!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Went with a guide up to the Hosmer Lake in here in Central Oregon.     Got to play with several different rods.       Came back hand got a deal on a Orvis Recon with a Redington reel.      Next stop will be East Lake on Monday.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top