Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2017 8:22:31 PM EDT
Hey y'all. I've never fly fished before, ever. We have an old rod with some line on it, who knows how old it is (the line) so it definitely needs replacing. I got pretty good at using a bait caster over this past summer and I'd like to start learning to fly fish this spring. We don't have trout near me, so can you catch bass and pan fish with a fly rod? How difficult of a skill is it to pick up? Can you use fly fish in ponds as well as a river? I'm sure these are really stupid questions to y'all, but I know virtually nothing about this sport.

Another thing that draws me to it is tying my own flies. I have tied one fly before at a kids conservation day camp type thing I went to 6-8 years ago. I remember really enjoying it and I think I'd still really like doing it. Any info you care to provide, links to informative websites, whatever I'd appreciate. Like I said I know nothing about this sport and would like some reliable information. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Really big set of questions.  Start small and work up :)

Yes you can fly fish for bass and panfish and it's a hoot.  

With a fly rod you are casting the line, not the fly.  The fly is going along for the ride.  To do this the line has to be matched to the rod.  You will see terms like 6 wt (6 weight), or 8 wt, or 2 wt, etc. and that has to do with the robustness of the rod/line.    The lower the number the lighter and more delicate the rod / line/ and therefore fly become.   Usually trout fishing will involve 3 wt to 6 wt rods.  Bass 6 or 8 wt, panfish 3 wt maybe (never fished for panfish so I can't say for sure)   But you wouldn't take a 20 lb line class baitcaster and fish for gills.  I know people that fish for pike with 12 wt rods.

Flytying is a great hobby - but it can get really involved depending on what you're up to.   I've tied off and on for years, but never really got into bass flies.

Look for a now out of print book called 'curtis creek manifesto' as a nice learning book on flyfishing in general.

There used to be a flyfishing newsgroup on the old usenet system called rec.outdoors.fishing.fly ( ROFF) that had pretty helpful group of folks.  About all that is left of it now is a FB group that requires an action by a moderator to join and it has devolved a little to mostly grousing about conservatives :(  .
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Fly fishing is a gas whether you are fishing for a perch in a pond or a 50 lb. King Salmon. Just try and find almost ANY water and you can fish it SOME way with a fly rod. One of my favorite places is my lake where I catch small panfish to use for bait for BIG catfish. On the other hand,,,I`ve spent hundreds of hours chasing huge brown trout in far away locales because I`m eat up with it. Caution.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
saltwater flyfishing.  nothing like a rock on a flyline.

flyfishing is very versitile, have fun!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Bass and panfish are a hoot on the fly, especially top water poppers! I have only cone a little of that so others can pipe in.

You can tie some very simple flies and catch tons of fish. Fly tying is relaxing as well as rewarding.

Fly fishing can be frustrating but it is worth it. I tell clients all the time, don't worry about the casts that fail, it happens to all of us. focus on the good ones and you will be much happier. The Curtis Creek Manifesto is a great starter book.

Just remember, you are out to have fun. Just laugh at the knots and trees you hook and you will be fine...
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies y'all! I'm really excited for spring, I'm gonna inspect the rod I have more carefully tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
find a local fly shops.  they will have tons of info, fresh line, ect

btw, fly lines arent cheap, scared the heck outa me when i bought my first one
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
As they say, buy the best rod you can afford, buy the best line money can buy, whatever is left, buy a reel.

I have always used Rio or Scientific Angler lines.  I'd start with a basic Weight Forward floating line and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Panfish are great to learn on given their fast pace and accepting almost any type of fly(at least the ones I've targeted)

Rivers are more fun but I've fished a lot of ponds and lakes too.

Once you do it normal spinner fishing looses its appeal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#9]
In a lifetime of reading this is the most intelligent fishing advice I have read to date:

Just remember, you are out to have fun. Just laugh at the knots and trees you hook and you will be fine...
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
You don't need to spend a fortune to enjoy flyfishing.  Spend $150 on a Redington Classic Trout rod of your choice...maybe a 9' 4 wt.  Then but an Okuma SLV 4/5 reel for 50 bucks.  Buy a decent line like a $40 Cortland 444...I use double tapers because I rarely cast over 50 feet or so, and a DT acts exactly like a WF within 50' unless you're shooting gobs of line. Then practice.  Or better yet, look for casting clinics in your area.  You'll be catchin fish in no time.  If ya need some flies, PM me and tell me what you're fishing for and I'll send you some.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top