Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2016 4:39:19 PM EDT
for my wife - she's the fishing person in the family-

http://www.reelflyrod.com/Beginner-Value-Fly-Fishing-Outfit-Package-Value-Package.htm?gclid=COvs1NGUx9ACFZE6gQodlZwPzQ

I googled up this one, I have no idea what is decent or not- or even the left-hand vs right-hand retrieval (she is right hand dominant, so you crank the reel with you left hand- right?).

Are there better kits out there, kind of pretty much everything included to ger started?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Call LL Bean customer service and talk to one of their fly fishing people
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If you facebook, there is a closed fly fishing group that may help you out.   They tend to be way left politically - but very competent fly fishers & fly tyers.  FB search for ROFF.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Redington makes pretty decent kits. The reels aren't top of the line but they aren't too bad. I've got a Redington 8-weight that's actually a pretty nice rod. I just put a different reel on it.

Here's a link to my local shop, Black Fly Outfitters, for some other kits.

What you linked actually looks like a pretty good setup. Rio makes nice lines and you get tippet and other goodies.

You're correct about the retrieve. I'm right-handed and retrieve with my left. Being in FL they're almost exclusively saltwater but do carry fw stuff as well.

And, well, just because...

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
When shopping for a woman keep a couple things in mind:

Most grips, especially on cheaper rods, are built for man sized hands. While most women can cast them the grips ultimately become uncomfortable for them. Consider the size of your gals hand when shopping for her rod.

The type of fish she will be fishing for will dictate the weight of rod you choose. Error on the light side IMHO.

There are some great value rods out there. Reddington, St Croix and others make some nice entry level rods.

My suggestion is to get a gift cert to a good local shop. Take her in and let her test some rods. Let her decide which grip is comfortable and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
LL Bean makes a nice fly rod outfit with women in mind:

LL Bean Streamlight

My wife has a Streamlight fly rod.  She has the regular (not streamlight ultra) version and it is a good rod.  Her hand is not small in size, so that works well with her.

The LL Bean and Orvis schools are good value and will keep her (and I would guess you too, as you should not let her hog all the action).

There is a lot to learn about fly fishing, so don't get overwhelmed- sorry for the pun but you have to do it one bite at a time.

The .30-06 of the fly rod world is probably a 9' 6wt or 5wt rod.  The rod stiffness is essentially matched to the weight of line you want to throw.  They are a package.  There is no weight (relative) to the lure you are casting (imagine a feather tied to a tiny hook), so to get any distance at all the line itself is what is cast.  The line is really three or four parts.  The backing of the reel (dacron, usually) is thin but strong.  Then comes a floating line that is about 90 feet long.  This is what you are working with when it comes to casting- it has weight, yet it is buoyant so it floats.  Next there is the leader (a clear line) and a tippet (also clear).  The leader and tippet are one piece when they are new (say 9 feet in length or so).  I tend to do something stupid and quickly break off or knot up a new leader/tippet, so I buy replacement tippet (sold on a reel).

If you are going after trout then a 9' 5wt is probably the best compromise size.  They come in 2 piece or 4 piece sections- I would go with the 4 piece, as it is really great to travel with a fly rod and discover the local waters.

The reel is the least important part of the package, and if you want to spend money upgrade the rod, then the line, then lastly the reel.  Or better yet, waders before you buy the new reel.

Waders are important, and stocking foot waders tend to be the most flexible choice.  Chest high waders (with a wader belt) and then you add on wading boots.  You probably have spent most of your life trying NOT to get your boots wet, but that is not the raison d'etre of wading boots.  She will need reliable footing in the stream, and the stream (or river) is certain to have slime coated rocks lining it.  Felt soles (yea, that seems strange but they work well) are best, followed by studded (ice racing screws are what I use), followed last and least by rubber.  Rubber soles suck bad.  As in, why not grease them first before you go in?  You may be forced to not use felt soles depending on where you live.

Now, waders and boots obviously are something she has to try on and they have to fit properly.  The gear matters, as the more comfortable she is in the cold water the longer she fishes, and the longer she can fish the better she will be at it.

Finally, strongly consider a local guide for her first trip out on "real" waters.  You can pick up the basics at a school or on your own, but a pro- especially the right pro- means you will shave YEARS off of the knowledge curve.

Flies are generally broken down into three groups.  Dry flies (float), Nymphs (sink) and Streamers (also sink).  The choice depends on the clarity and temperature of the water, the water flow, the insect hatch, the frigging attitude of the frigging fish, the phase of the moon and the type of insects hatching at that particular point in time.

A guide can get her onto fish, and they want to see success for logical reasons.  Once she lands a trout she will be hooked (yes, another pun).

Have fun and hop into the river with her.  It is too fun not to participate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out Reds Fly Shop

They do alot of nice all in one kits.  Got my dad and brother started from there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Redington makes pretty decent kits. The reels aren't top of the line but they aren't too bad. I've got a Redington 8-weight that's actually a pretty nice rod. I just put a different reel on it.

Here's a link to my local shop, Black Fly Outfitters, for some other kits.

What you linked actually looks like a pretty good setup. Rio makes nice lines and you get tippet and other goodies.

You're correct about the retrieve. I'm right-handed and retrieve with my left. Being in FL they're almost exclusively saltwater but do carry fw stuff as well.

And, well, just because...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/fishing/nacoochee_bend/trout-release_zpshrxkgobz.png
View Quote

what he said. Two of my buddies are big into fly fishing and know way more than me. I got one of Redington's crosswater 6wt's for my birthday and didn't know if it was any good. My buddy that has been fly fishing longer than the other has 2 of their crosswaters and my other buddy just got one of the 8wt's and they like them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top