Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2016 10:56:20 PM EDT
Are you a gear guy, one who has a forceps, a knot tying tool, clippers, stream thermo, 6 kinds of tippet mat'l and on and on or not?

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Me, I used to carry more stuff but in the last couple of years I have simplified it. Carried extra this and thats and never ended up needing any so screw it, leave it home.

I carry a forceps for pulling hooks and it also does double duty as a line cutter. I don't carry anything for repointing hooks, if I need to I grab a stone out of the river and use it.
I gave up carrying a stream thermo. Not much you can do about the water temps, If I got time and want to go fishing I will. Usually only carry one extra tapered leader if I'm using tapered leaders. I usually will carry 2 maybe 3 spools of line for tippets/leaders. depending upon how clear the waters and and how high. 6lb is the lightest I'll ever use and 12 is the heaviest. Usually carry only 8 and 10.
I don't carry a wading staff, at times its very helpful when the water is fast and dirty, but I find a stick along shore and I'm good to go. Don't wear a vest but I do wear a Simms weather proof jacket with a couple of pockets. Keep my forceps, fly boxes, tippets and usually there is a rock in one of the pockets for repointing hooks in it.

I keep in my car tons of flies but only carry 2-3 boxes with me. I'm going to trim that down to 2 I think. I fish in an area that your not far from the car and you use the car to jump from spot to spot so if I need something that I'm not carrying its only 10 minutes away at the most. I don't keep extra rod or waders in the car. I'm only 20 minutes from home. I also carry a net. Just so I don't have to handle the fish and I can get the hook out and get the fish back on its way without it ever leaving the river.   Thats about it.

I find I have more enjoyment going light with the min. amount of stuff. Take a quick inventory before I leave the house, waders, rod, jacket, box of flies, check, I'm ready to go.

I get to the river and gear up very quickly and I'm ready to go. If I'm fishing with a buddy I'm always waiting on him.

How about you?
How do you go?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to wear a Simms Guide vest and carried everything but the kitchen sink...blood knot tyer, knot coating, line dressing, blah blah...  I now carry way less in the way of tools and gizmos, but I still carry quite a few flies.  I carry everything in a little Redrock sling pack, which is pretty much the same as a Maxpedition Fatboy.  Way less obtrusive than a vest and much more comfortable.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
In saltwater, I probably carry too much in the boat or kayak. Mostly a bunch of flies, Boga grips, pliers and nippers. In freshwater, I have nippers, hemostats, fly boxes and a few tippets & leaders. I'd rather have it and not need it than vice-versa.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a filson harness/vest Mom bought me.

Wading staff

Net

3 boxes (dries, nymphs, and streamers)

Tippets (3x, 4x, 5x, 6x and a spare 4x, 5x)

1 pocket of indicator stuff

floatant and drier

forceps

sharpener

One zinger w/ nippers and 2 containers of splitshot (#4 and BB tungsten)

There may be more in there, but that's what I need to get through the day.  I uh drink from the stream when I get thirsty.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry whatever whatever fits in my front wader pouch (fly box) and a cool neck lanyard with my forceps, tippet and nippers.  I have a nice fish pond vest I use when I canoe but for wading I go fast and light.

My lanyard is similar to this:  

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In saltwater, I probably carry too much in the boat or kayak. Mostly a bunch of flies, Boga grips, pliers and nippers. In freshwater, I have nippers, hemostats, fly boxes and a few tippets & leaders. I'd rather have it and not need it than vice-versa.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've gone from a vest to a waist pack, but the thing is still stuffed full (lol).  I've tried to minimize it several times but; damn I hate to get out on the stream and not have what I need.  I also carry a wading staff, as now I'm older and not as steady on my feet in stronger currents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top