Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2016 6:11:07 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with these?

I spend too much time at the launch putting shit together and I can't carry the rods assembled in my short cab. They don't recommend long trips (which makes sense) but I only have a single crossbar. The other end of the yak is supported by an inverted bed extender. I'm not sure if I can get something like this to work.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not personally used them.  You see them a lot with the Spey rod folks.  They will often tape the joints on the rods so it is a real PITA to take them down to move down the road to the next fishing hole.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I hadn't considered the joints coming apart. Hmm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#3]
A bunch of guides around here use the magnetic rod holders. They work fine for them. Yet I cringed when I saw a clients $4,000 split bamboo rod in one. I have faith, but not that much! I can fit up to 9.5' in the cab of my truck so I don't need a carrier. Spey rods get broken in half and in the cab. When I had a smaller rig I used the Yakima button down 4 ski rack to carry my rods. It worked great.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Spey.

I'd be crushed if I lost a bamboo rod! My problem is that I can't fit them in the small cab of my Tacoma. I've been putting them in halves but I still have to rig the line after I assemble at the ramp. I also get nervous with the parts bouncing around loose in the cab.

Maybe I just need to put a rod tube up top.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple long one piece rods that dont travel well in my explorer... I use a cut up pool noodle and zip tie ,to secure to my roof rack... Keep extra zip ties and a pair of wire cutters in the tackle box.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Spey.

I'd be crushed if I lost a bamboo rod! My problem is that I can't fit them in the small cab of my Tacoma. I've been putting them in halves but I still have to rig the line after I assemble at the ramp. I also get nervous with the parts bouncing around loose in the cab.

Maybe I just need to put a rod tube up top.
View Quote

Honestly I am not too worried about loosing a rod off the magnet holders they stay put. My concern is with things like bird strikes or even a plastic bag strike. That can ruin your day. Take a look at the yakima ski racks. They work great and can be bought cheep on craigslist.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I only have one crossbar which makes it difficult to use rack options but I do have some ideas. I support the back of the yak with an upturned bed extender so it doesn't go over the hood.

You guys have given me some ideas to explore for sure! Much obliged.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure wherever you're going to stick them is ferrous metal...

A buddy found out his hood was plastic after he bought them.  They do make a suction cup model too.  They work well enough going from spot to spot.  For the ride home I'd break them down and put in tubes.

FWIW I purchased my vehicles around the length of spey rod I can carry inside.  A 2013 Suburban can safely fit a 13' from back to front.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I just need a new vehicle. I like your thinking.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
We use the magnetic rod holders. One on the hood, one on the roof.

I put a microfiber between the paint and the holder. The magnet is strong enough that they won't slide, but when you try to take them off they will inevitably slide.

They work great for running between fishing sites. I wouldn't go long distances or highway speeds with them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They work great for running between fishing sites. I wouldn't go long distances or highway speeds with them.
View Quote

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I need to figure out some other solution. I'm going see if I can come up with something that'll attach to the crossbar and my bed extender.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Rod vault is a good and pretty secure option. I'll end up getting one once I put a rack on my PU cap. Not the cheapest option but secure and pretty bomb proof.

https://denveroutfitters.com/product/titan-rod-vault-pro/

Prior to stuff like this we used to just use ski/snowboard thule roof racks and put rigs rod in them and close em. At the time it was the best most secure option.

Currently I usually just have a half dozen or so rods broken down in half and bungee'd together in the back of my truck under the cap.

J-

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rod vault is a good and pretty secure option. I'll end up getting one once I put a rack on my PU cap. Not the cheapest option but secure and pretty bomb proof.

https://denveroutfitters.com/product/titan-rod-vault-pro/

Prior to stuff like this we used to just use ski/snowboard thule roof racks and put rigs rod in them and close em. At the time it was the best most secure option.

Currently I usually just have a half dozen or so rods broken down in half and bungee'd together in the back of my truck under the cap.

J-

View Quote

I just got mine today. Its a beast and very well made.

They are running it on sale @ $350. From what Ive seen so far on it looks well worth it.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the heads up on the sale! Headed out for trout next week!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
That rod vault is pretty slick.  Before I saw that I was thinking about 3" PVC pipe cut to length, with a 3" to 6" PVC reducer or eccentric coupler, finished off with a 6" clean out.    Guess the Rod Vault looks better.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe I just need a new vehicle. I like your thinking.
View Quote

And that is why I have a long bed F350 and an old long bed F250. 9' rods fit nicely diagonally in an 8' bed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top