Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2010 8:06:03 PM EDT
I'm going to open this can of worms.

I'd like a new pair of breathable waders.
What is everyone using? Preference? Thoughts? Issues? etc.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Orvis Sonicseam waders are hands down the best pair of waders I have ever owned. They are light, comfortable, and I haven't felt a drop of water come through since I've had them. Also from what I understand you cant beat Orvis's warranty. My only suggestion is if you decide to go with them is to order one size smaller than you would normally wear.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9X8R
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had good luck with Dan Bailey waders. Personally I have been so impressed with them (even on their inexpensive models) I don't think I will go with any other brand.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
for the price these have been awesome for me, and I beat the hell out of waders in salmon/steelhead season

simms
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Ill second the Orvis sonic seams.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Simms.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Simms used to be my favorite brand, no more.  Their customer service has gone downhill, and their warranty is a joke.  I bought my wife and I two pairs of G4's, within a couple weeks we both had leaks at the waist along the seams.  Sent them back, they "found" other leaks that we never knew about but not the ones in the waist.  Went fishing and they still leaked, took them to the local fly shop who confirmed the leaks.  Simms called me and told me they couldn't find leaks and didn't know what my problem was.  Basically the problem was that I paid $1,000 for bum waders, attitude and a non existent warranty.

Companies that are doing well, on both product and service, are Dan Bailey, Filson and Patagonia.  Patagonia probably has the best and fastest repair/ replacement program.  Orvis is great as well so long as you can get to an Orvis store. Online or phone service is good but not as good as walk in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Simms used to be my favorite brand, no more.  Their customer service has gone downhill, and their warranty is a joke.  I bought my wife and I two pairs of G4's, within a couple weeks we both had leaks at the waist along the seams.  Sent them back, they "found" other leaks that we never knew about but not the ones in the waist.  Went fishing and they still leaked, took them to the local fly shop who confirmed the leaks.  Simms called me and told me they couldn't find leaks and didn't know what my problem was.  Basically the problem was that I paid $1,000 for bum waders, attitude and a non existent warranty.

Companies that are doing well, on both product and service, are Dan Bailey, Filson and Patagonia.  Patagonia probably has the best and fastest repair/ replacement program.  Orvis is great as well so long as you can get to an Orvis store. Online or phone service is good but not as good as walk in.

Which models did you purchace if you don't mind me asking ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
G-4's.  Not the G-4 with the zipper but the more standard one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been hearing very good things about LL Bean Emerger's
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
G-4's.  Not the G-4 with the zipper but the more standard one.

Now that sucks, G4s are the top of the line and I've been thinking of upgrading my old G3s from "96 as they are starting to give up the ghost. My friend picked up the same G4s and bitched about a leak last winter. Wonder what gives, they were supposed to be the gold standard. that many leaks from reputable people has me scratching my head....damn

EDIT:

I need to retract my friends G4 leak, I just got off the phone with him and he stated it was a suspected leak. in the knee area. Some times if the underlying layers of silk weights and fleece create a bunched up hot spot and trap the body's vapour that will create the sensation of a leak. Usually around the heavy socks we use in the stocking foot area combined with tight Gators is my experience.

How ever If you and your wife both and valid leaks that certainly raises my eyebrows as G4s shouldn't leak. Period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top