Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2017 11:57:59 AM EDT
Need some advice. I'm an old boat guy, but out of the game for many years. My son-in-law wants a boat. Will be used on Rappahanock river below Fredericksburg and Lake Anna. Family of 3. Fishing and pleasure boating. He thinks he wants open bow and outboard. I'm thinking 16-18 footer, center console. I know nothing about outboards. He will probably go used. Not poor, but not rich. Thoughts? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
<--- Mercury/Mercruiser tech.

Personally, I would be looking for a late model (within the last 4 or 5 years) 4-stroke EFI outboard. Many Mfg's make good engines

these days, Merc and Yamaha right at the top of the list.

Deciding factor on make would be service in your area. If the nearest Yamaha dealer is 2 hours away and the Merc dealer is right

down the road, then Merc etc..

Please be sure he has the boat checked out by a reputable shop. An "on the water" trial run should also be done BEFORE buying.

I have a "buyers guide" thread somewhere 'round here...

ETA -- My buyers guide thread Sorry about the missing

pics. Damn you Photobucket!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Look for a Seaark 18 foot center console used.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info from KB!

Whats the budget?

Here's a nice clean little affordable 18' CC. https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/boa/d/sea-pro-center-console/6223226405.htmlWave 60 hundred dollar bills in front of him.

Those older OMC V-4's are great motors. Like KB warns have someone check out the hull, wiring, VRO, compression and lower unit. Don't buy anything with a fiberglass tank, ethanol has played hell on em'.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks like a nice, clean, low hour boat. It is not a VRO engine which means you will have to mix

the gas and oil yourself. It's either the "commercial" or "special" version of the engine which have a

conventional pulse type fuel pump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top