Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 8:33:57 AM EDT
Being in Florida for a week has renewed my interest in water sports. I have already kicked myself in the nuts twice while  typing this as I am intimately aware of the costs and pains of boat ownership....

I want a center console fishing boat with outboards that I can take to Florida and still use in Midwest corps lakes.

I really like the Boston whaler dauntless 270 with the fold down swim platform...

Then I saw the price for a well appointed one. I was thinking new would be in the 80's not the 250's

I have been out of the boat game for awhile so I guess they have gotten popular and 12 year financing has really shot prices up.

I am more likely to buy used and 2 motors isn't a requirement as long as the single engine models can get you out and about without taking the whole day to get somewhere.

Doesn't have to be a Boston whaler but similar style.

I want to be able to fish and take family out for fun as well.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Towing a boat from KS to FL seems like a huge pain for occasional use.  Why not rent one when you're down here?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
The whalers are tier one money, prolly really good boat though.

I ended up with a 19' CC, 2003 sea boss brand.  4 is a crowd on there.  That design is best for fishing, not pleasure cruising.

And I wish I had never bought it.  It's in Florida, so salt takes its toll.
And I spend a couple hours cleaning it after taking it out, still everything corrodes.   So far the motor has held up well, a 2003 Johnson Suzuki 4 stroke 115.  Just enough power and sips fuel.

I probably spend 3 hours cleaning and fixing for every hour used.
i like the kayaks better.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
We just ordered a Sea Hunt Triton 220. Mid fifties well equipped. They are good fishing boats. We have had Sea Swirls and Sea Foxes, both were good price point boats.

Go check The Hull Truth when you narrow your choice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking at the used boat listings it seems as though they devalue quickly.   3 year old boats look to be about 1/2 of the numbers you quoted.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#5]
A 28' Mako with twins and large fuel tank.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Towing a boat from KS to FL seems like a huge pain for occasional use.  Why not rent one when you're down here?
View Quote
I would use it weekly in season where I am at on about a half dozen different corps of engineers lakes in my area.

Lake of the Ozarks gets kinda rough so it would be a good fit down there as well. I am liking the hybrid hills with engine lift that can go in 2 ft of water and less easily.

I would like to be able to do Florida with it in the winter for a bit. Maybe a couple weeks at a time down there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Any of the Makos will do you right.  They are a very dry boat in a chop and, back in the day, before gas became pricey, mine ran from Florida to the Bahamas on a regular basis according to the log book.  (on a single 225 Yamaha, I might add).  My 231 is the second Mako I've owned.  One, a '79 21ft and the '87 231.  It is all the boat I need.

ka
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top