Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2011 6:16:34 PM EDT
What is the largest cylinder engine and HP of a merc outboard? anyone know?

And this can include prototypes.

This is a serious question guys as I heard about something but cant reveal any details at this time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The largest horsepower Merc I have seen was a joint effort between Merc and Marine Turbine. That outboard was reported to have 450+ HP. The largest conventional reciprocating engine is the 3.0l V6 at this time. This displacement is available in the Optimax series. I think they may have made a 3.4l engine, but my memory is foggy.
ETA- You must be in Fon Du Lac..??
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Oshkosh actually, have looked on their website. The verado series is nice but no hints as to anything really big like 6+ in an inline motor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The Verado's are nice engines. I-6 supercharged. I installed a few on Triton center console boats this spring. They run smooth and very quiet. They are also pretty heavy. The Verado wouldn't be my choice for a bass boat. I'll take an old 2 stroke carbureted Black Max for a bass boat, maybe an EFI (not DFI).
ETA–– OMC used to make a V-8 2-stroke outboard. I worked on one of those a couple years ago. Man did that thing sound wicked. The boat's name was "The Hellion" and it sure was.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#4]
This is now the largest outboard....You can thank me later :)

7 marine
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking of something closer to an inline 12 cyl monster?
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW! That 7 Marine V-8 is impressive. Definately suited for offshore boats.  I still want a turbine though. The turbine powering the Mercury experimental outboard only weighs 140 pounds. There used to be a video of the turbine on a bass boat somewhere. Sounds wicked! I wish 7-Marine would have cut the music and let the engine sound come through for a bit. Other than the turbine, nothing sounds like a V-6 2 stroker at 6200 RPM's.

Me ^^^^

Bwahahaha!
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
KB...you look like Ron White in that picture...

lol

EDIT: What kind of lower units are on those?  They don't look stock...but then, i've never seen a 300hp out board either...
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Those are Mercury "Sportmaster" gearcases. They come stock on the 300X outboards. By the way...who is Ron White?
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
By the way...who is Ron White?

Not sure if serious...
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Largest production merc right now is the 350 verado! I believe it only comes in 25 and 30 inch lower unit for offshore rigs. Yamaha also has a 350 4-stroke
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top