Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 1:20:27 PM EDT
A family member recently got a condo in the the Palm Coast, FL area.  There was a statement about family being able to use the guest rooms for vacations and such.  I am planning to outfit the place with "for fun" surf and pier fishing.  Trying for a minimalist setup for myself, but keeping in mind that it may turn into communal gear.  So it has to be easy to eat the cost if/when things get broken.

This is what I have come up with for main gear ideas thus far.  Keeping in mind I have not saltwater fished since the late 80's as a kid.  And dad did all the work except reeling them in.

10 or 11' M, MH Graphite Rod for casting.  I figured a 10 could also be used for a pier.  If I was to use it for both, should I get Fiberglass, or will graphite ones be fine?  

8' MH, H Fiberglass Rod for the pier.

I figure a 5000-6500 size reel will be good for both uses(should I go 6500-8000?).  So far price wise, I have been looking at the Penn Battle 2's and Diawa BG's.

I also have a telescoping rod that I will probably travel with that can handle the lighter work, like a sibiki rig for bait.  I may pick up a 1500-2500 size reel for that.  I may also wait for the Penn Conflict 2's to come out for that rig.  To keep it light and also useful in my freshwater area.

Any Palm Coast guys on here?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a palm coast guy...
But a piece of advice...
Don't buy anything retail come down to Florida
Pick it up at flea markets yard sales pawn shops ...
Fishing gear can be found for fractions in secondhand places...good luck op!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A family member recently got a condo in the the Palm Coast, FL area.  There was a statement about family being able to use the guest rooms for vacations and such.  I am planning to outfit the place with "for fun" surf and pier fishing.  Trying for a minimalist setup for myself, but keeping in mind that it may turn into communal gear.  So it has to be easy to eat the cost if/when things get broken.

This is what I have come up with for main gear ideas thus far.  Keeping in mind I have not saltwater fished since the late 80's as a kid.  And dad did all the work except reeling them in.

10 or 11' M, MH Graphite Rod for casting.  I figured a 10 could also be used for a pier.  If I was to use it for both, should I get Fiberglass, or will graphite ones be fine?  

8' MH, H Fiberglass Rod for the pier.

I figure a 5000-6500 size reel will be good for both uses(should I go 6500-8000?).  So far price wise, I have been looking at the Penn Battle 2's and Diawa BG's.

I also have a telescoping rod that I will probably travel with that can handle the lighter work, like a sibiki rig for bait.  I may pick up a 1500-2500 size reel for that.  I may also wait for the Penn Conflict 2's to come out for that rig.  To keep it light and also useful in my freshwater area.

Any Palm Coast guys on here?
View Quote

@Slug-O is a captain/guide in St. Augustine just a little bit north. I am sure he will have the best info for you.

That said I do a lot of fishing just south of Palm Coast in Flagler / Ormond and I just keep it simple. For Ocean stuff I have an average penn on a saltwater pole 8 ft I think? And for intercoastal stuff and freshwater I just use a nice abu garcia bass set up or a cheap Okuma setup I got real cheap. With what you said I wouldn't go too expensive and keep it simple for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a palm coast guy...
But a piece of advice...
Don't buy anything retail come down to Florida
Pick it up at flea markets yard sales pawn shops ...
Fishing gear can be found for fractions in secondhand places...good luck op!
View Quote
What he said! Fishing gear everywhere. Cheap! I always pick up fishing gear when I am down there. Sometimes I leave it down there and sometimes it follows me back to Iowa.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input.  I didn't even think about the Flea Markets(Haven't been to one of those since I was a kid either).  Although I don't want to start off a vacation chasing gear down.  I'd like to get there with at least enough to get me going.  A day trip to look for extra gear or stuff that will most definitely be "family use" sounds like a great idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top