Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2015 11:07:08 PM EDT
i always just attached my leader line to my main braid line with a double uni knot, thought it was a pretty standard way to do it.

went fishing with a dude at work a few nights ago and he ties a bimini knot in the braid and then some other knot to the leader with the doubled up line.

now, is that just unnecessary complication or is there an advantage to the way he does it. i asked him why and he just said its the way he was taught so he does it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If your leader has a loop then fisherman's knot or bimini

If not, then blood knot, surgeon's knot, or double uni...

Regards
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the double uni and it's kept several big snook and reds and some huge Jacks with no issues. The only time I use a Bimini twist is on my saltwater fly rig for attaching the backing to the fly line as most backing isn't super strong
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Uni to uni is all you need. I use a bimini for big tuna and sharks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
a double uni is good, but the problem with it is it is bulky, has problems getting thru the guides

look up a FG knot on google, couple of good videos of it, easy to tie once you get he hang of it.

real skinny knot and I have been using it for 2 yrs without any problems.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Your uni knot shouldn't go anywhere near your guides, I never understood the comments about that. I use a double uni and no problems, even with micro guides because my leader never gets near the rod tip.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I tie a long Bimini with Yucatan (Cracker Hitch) to leader offshore for Grouper, Snapper, Cobia and AJ's. I want that extra protection of a double line all the way to my reel when the fish is close in for gaffing/netting. Inshore I tie my braid to fluorocarbon leader with a Yucatan. With a little spit it's the strongest and easiest knot to tie of all the knots I know. I've been using it for 30 years and it's perfect for braid to mono.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using the crazy alberto with great success and it's the skinniest knot out there period.
Only downfall, if you don't come out where you came in it will unravel and tighten it hard, hard before trimming!
If you follow those instructions it will never fail
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
You can find easy to online videos..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top