Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2017 7:01:14 AM EDT
Just got invited to float down a river and trout fish on Saturday.  I have NEVER fished for trout before!

I'm used to using jigs and Rapala's while fishing for smallmouth's...what kind of tackle do I need for trout?

HELP!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Are they fly fishing?     If they are, you should plan on doing that.  Etiquette is a big deal.   Don't wanna be "That guy" who shows up with a coffee can full-o-worms.  

I've had good luck with small spinners on a ultralight spinning rig.  

Trout fishing is pretty specific to the area and the time of year.   Go talk to the locals.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:15:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#2]
You can't learn to fly fish in a day. Don't even try. You know how to use a spinning rod, right? Take that. Get some light rooster tails -- maybe even some single hook types. Cast and spin. Watch your friends to see how they work the water. Do that. Don't worry about catching fish. Be a good companion. Have fun. Fishing is supposed to be fun, you know.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
You can't learn to fly fish in a day. Don't even try. You know how to use a spinning rod, right? Take that. Get some light rooster tails -- maybe even some single hook types. Cast and spin. Watch your friends to see how they work the water. Do that. Don't worry about catching fish. Be a good companion. Have fun. Fishing is supposed to be fun, you know.
View Quote
Thanks.

I'm just going to take my normal tackle and catch whatever with it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing you are going to float the Jackson.

Spinners and small plugs will work.

Your host might have fly fishing gear for you to try. Streamers imitate minows and are easy to fish and they work ok on the Jackson.

Offer to take a turn on the oars so your host can fish. Even if he doesn't take you up on it he will appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I use ultralight spinning gear. 7 foot rods and trout lures. My go to, always works lure is a Super duper. Just like the one in the picture. I also use Salmon eggs or real live worms. I walk the streams here and fish them all year long, even in the snow. Spring fed trout streams don't freeze up. Never fished a big river from a boat, not for trout, so i may be of no help OP.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Live minnows...that is all.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#7]
don't even think about going without some #12 mustads
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JPK:

Offer to take a turn on the oars so your host can fish. Even if he doesn't take you up on it he will appreciate it.
View Quote
Sort of like going golfing or sporting clays shooting with the boss . . . it really doesn't matter if you're successful at the task at hand since nobody expects a newbie to set the world on fire. It's more important to be a good guest. Don't do stupid stuff. Be safe. Be a good conversationalist. Fit in with the group and you're golden.

Relax.

But don't tip the boat.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JPK:
I'm guessing you are going to float the Jackson.

Spinners and small plugs will work.

Your host might have fly fishing gear for you to try. Streamers imitate minows and are easy to fish and they work ok on the Jackson.

View Quote
Nope, going to float the Smith as part of the Greater Basset Family Fun Float.  In all probability, there's going to be a shitload of people floating, so the fishing will be horrible anyway.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#10]
One does not simply Trout fish...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By soldier65:
I use ultralight spinning gear. 7 foot rods and trout lures. My go to, always works lure is a Super duper. Just like the one in the picture. I also use Salmon eggs or real live worms. I walk the streams here and fish them all year long, even in the snow. Spring fed trout streams don't freeze up. Never fished a big river from a boat, not for trout, so i may be of no help OP.

https://www.fishusa.com/assets/product_images//assets/product_images/45078161/Variations/500-1.jpg
View Quote
Best way to catch a trout ever invented
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Find out if they are fishing barbless hooks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Are they pretentious?

I enjoy fishing for trout but I avoid the pretentious trout fishermen at all costs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top