Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2017 1:59:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath]
I decided on a poodle, so I will try to chronicle his training and evolution.

Attachment Attached File

Bringing him home.
Attachment Attached File

His first meal at his new house
Attachment Attached File

Glamour shot
Attachment Attached File

His first bath
Attachment Attached File

His first haircut to make him look like a poodle
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

His first bird retrieve at 9 weeks

Attachment Attached File

Meeting his first pheasant

Attachment Attached File

Meeting his first goose
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
So far it has been lots of fun working with a non lab or shorthair (my two previous gun dogs).

Poodles are very smart, and it can be a challenge getting past his blockheadedness.

His prey drive is amazing and he fetches whatever I want him to fetch.  It has been a fun adventure.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like you have a good dog on your hands .

I've only ever had Labs but my neighbor (when I was a kid) had a Standard Poodle that was his duck hunting dog, he was a great retriever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
They ran the Iditarod so why not.

link
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably one of the best known hunting poodles out there...

Louter Creek Hunting Poodle "Cooper" Water Retrieves
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I never hunted birds with my two miniatures.   They wear the best Squirrel dogs I ever had.   I used to carry then in the game pocket of my hunting jacket when they wear little.   They’d tree a Squirrel right now.

You got to remember Poodles wear water fowl hunting dogs from Germany a long time ago, the French are the ones that Pussyfied them.   You got to keep that matte hair trimmed or it will drown them.  

Wolf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top