Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2017 3:54:59 PM EDT
I have never used a dog while out hunting. I have always wanted one and I am considering a Kemmer Mtn Cur. Anybody hunt squirrels and raccoons with Curs? How are they with other animals? I got my wife and daughter a Yorkie a couple of years ago. I need a dog that will be able to get along with the family dog. Am I looking at the right breed? For those with Curs. Are your dogs inside dogs or do you keep them in a kennel outside?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sjuhockey10:
@Buckeye67 to the Cur Courtesy Phone
View Quote
Is he a Cur dog guy?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sjuhockey10:

He is indeed -- has two at the moment, who I've had the pleasure of meeting.  They're great dogs, though he can obviously tell you more.  I'm sure he'll pop in.
View Quote
Three now. 

The short answer to the question is that they are wonderful, wonderful dogs (mine are OMCBA Curs).

I just got home, and have to get up early for work tomorrow. I will post a more in-depth response tomorrow afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Buckeye67:
Three now. 

The short answer to the question is that they are wonderful, wonderful dogs (mine are OMCBA Curs).

I just got home, and have to get up early for work tomorrow. I will post a more in-depth response tomorrow afternoon.
View Quote
Fantastic! Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Have hunted with a bunch of curs and cur/hound crosses (by hound I mean traditional breeds like Black and Tan or red bone etc...).

Ended up buying a Kemmer Mountain Cur. She was a great dog. Ended up moving and gave her away to my FILs work buddy whose kid needed a raccoon dog. She was a great dog.  

Here is what you get typically

A dog with a decent hunting nose that is smarter than most scent hounds, that ranges closer than most hounds, looks more like a small lab, great prey drive, easier to train than most hounds but harder than bird dogs to train, great with kids, hardy with stamina, coat is basically a Labrador  coat.

All in all a great all around dog.

Next dog will probably be a small black mouth cur (Ladner style), small KMC, or another Vizsla.

OP you’re back east where the sizes are perfect IMHO for squirrel hunting and there are some great breeders. Just don’t get a massive one that has been bred fur hunting hogs unless you’re ok with the size.  I like to put them on the back of the wheeler when I can and the bigger dogs make it harder
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stre-tch:
Have hunted with a bunch of curs and cur/hound crosses (by hound I mean traditional breeds like Black and Tan or red bone etc...).

Ended up buying a Kemmer Mountain Cur. She was a great dog. Ended up moving and gave her away to my FILs work buddy whose kid needed a raccoon dog. She was a great dog.  

Here is what you get typically

A dog with a decent hunting nose that is smarter than most scent hounds, that ranges closer than most hounds, looks more like a small lab, great prey drive, easier to train than most hounds but harder than bird dogs to train, great with kids, hardy with stamina, coat is basically a Labrador  coat.

All in all a great all around dog.

Next dog will probably be a small black mouth cur (Ladner style), small KMC, or another Vizsla.

OP you’re back east where the sizes are perfect IMHO for squirrel hunting and there are some great breeders. Just don’t get a massive one that has been bred fur hunting hogs unless you’re ok with the size.  I like to put them on the back of the wheeler when I can and the bigger dogs make it harder
View Quote
Yeah, I didn't realize the size difference in the different breeds of curs. So the original BMC seem to be pretty good sized dogs. Still trying to decide what exactly I want. I need to find someone with curs and feists and see if I can't get on a squirrel hunt with them. Then I have to convince my wife. Unlike a gun, I can't just hide a gun for awhile and then when she finds it I tell her I had it for a long time
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jfor:

Yeah, I didn't realize the size difference in the different breeds of curs. So the original BMC seem to be pretty good sized dogs. Still trying to decide what exactly I want. I need to find someone with curs and feists and see if I can't get on a squirrel hunt with them. Then I have to convince my wife. Unlike a gun, I can't just hide a gun for awhile and then when she finds it I tell her I had it for a long time
View Quote
Just my 0.02.

In your case I wouldn't get the feist.  You have a Yorkie and I bet the feist will end up fighting with it unless you are very proactive in teaching both dogs.  

How big of a dog do you want?

The curs that I like are:

Black Mouth Cur

Kemmer Mountain Cur

Mountain View Cur

Blue Lacy dog

Size wise you can get the KMC and BMC in the widest range of sizes.  The MVC and BLD tend to be on the smaller side usually (although you can get the other two just as small).

Temperament wise - I have the most experience withe KMC and BMC's - the other two I have only been around 1-2 times and they were with guys who have the dogs with them 24/7 so they were really well behaved. But the breeder and stock dogs will play a huge part.  I have seen KMC's that were laid back (lab style)  all the way to super hyper like a upland game dog.  I would recommend going and looking at the dogs if possible and seeing what the parents act like.  

Out here in the west I run into more KMC's than anything and I can't remember seeing a bad dog but like I said earlier I am probably going to give the BMC a whirl for my next dog
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armsman] [#9]
I have a thread in GD asking about Jack Russell Terrier for squirrel dogs and after reading the responses I’ve ruled them out mountain cuts are at the top of my list now. What part of Bama are you in? I’ll be watching this thread for info!!!

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By armsman:
I have a thread in GD asking about Jack Russell Terrier for squirrel dogs and after reading the responses I’ve ruled them out mountain cuts are at the top of my list now. What part of Bama are you in? I’ll be watching this thread for info!!!

Edited for spelling
View Quote
I live just south of Huntsville. Still haven't gotten a dog yet. I have gotten into coon hunting so a cur is definitely high on my list. If you are just looking at squirrel dogs,look into feist breeds also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top