Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2017 2:18:07 AM EDT
Not my father, but my 13 year old K9 trained Boxer.

We got him at 8 months and waited until he was 2 years to start the training.
Great biter, and always watchful of me when we were working.
Always attentive, and followed commands without a fail.
He could jump high, run awful dam fast, and held the bite until told to release.
And for a Boxer, he had a great nose, and could follow a trail pretty well.

He blew out an ACL at 5 years and that ended the K9 work for him.
Something must have happened to him during the surgery or recovery, because he became afraid of loud noises, meaning thunder, and especially gunfire
And fireworks were the worst.
So, he became the wifes special boy.
Stayed home with her, loved the kids, grandkids, other dogs, but hated squirrels.
He was not to fond of bears either.

During July 4 holidays, it got to be a custom to take him into the sub-basement, turn up the TV and my radios, and he was fine.
For 7 years, that worked just fine.
I knew he was getting old,and feel we were blessed to have him as long as we did.

This July 4th was very different.
A couple of my stoopid, out of town property owning, piece of shit vacation neighbors thought it was fun to shoot off aerial mortars, big ones.
And the town had thier annual fireworks celebration as well.

I had the Old Man in the basement with me as usual, and he was lying on his blanket, sleeping.
I noticed his breathing was getting pretty rapid, and he was shaking.
So, I got on the floor with him, which seemed to calm him down a bit, and the episode lasted only about 30 seconds or so.
After the noise was over, we got up, went to bed, and I Thought all was well.

In the morning I let him out in the yard,and he was startling at low flying aircraft, cars passing by and was just flat disoriented.
Again, one of my piece of shit neighbors in the area set off another loud device, and that broke the old guy.
He had a grandmall seizure so I loaded him up and got him to his life-long vet.

His temperature spiked high, we got him cooled down, but the seizures were just too much.
At the end, tne doc gave him a valium shot, and I think he recognized my wife and I as his tail wagged a bit, and he was a bit calmer.

I somehow think I failed the Old Man at the end, in not recognizing a Stress Induced Stroke from the night before.
I wish he would have just gone in his sleep, instead of probably being scared and frightened.

They are with us for short a time.
Now my other boy, who is only 4 years old, another Boxer, but not K9 trained is looking for the Old Man in his favorite places.
Shit-
RIP Duke, until we meet again my friend-
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Not your fault....13 yrs is damn long for a boxer.  He knew you loved him and thats what counts for dogs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I just let my Boxerdog out for his morning run and then his breakfast was served. This of course after he slept beside me all night as always. These speed demons are special dogs OP. he`s at my feet right now,,,as always. Be glad you had such a long time with your friend.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a GREAT dog... very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for your loss Crash.  Sounds like you gave him a great life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top