Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2015 8:17:45 PM EDT
Last dog I had passed away about a year ago he was a 250+ lbs English Mastiff we loved. So a year later the family is thinking we need a new dog being wife and three kids youngest being 9 years old. I want one breed of dog and the rest want another I do not have experience with the breed I'm looking for have been around them that's about it the dog I'm looking at and want advice on is the Anatolian shepherd.

Can anyone who has owned these dogs tell me why they would or would not be a good dog over a Labrador? Not looking for a hunting dog but a dog that my kids can have fun with and that will protect them and the house! I was raised with a lab but looking for advice and info on the Anatolian shepherd. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
They can be very territorial and protective of their property and "flock". They require some room, so they're not always great candidates for neighborhoods with small yards. They are generally ok with kids that are in their own family, but may not be ok with outsiders, especially if playtime gets rough. They can interpret rough play as a threat to their charges and deal with it accordingly, so very close supervision is needed when friends come to call. They also may not be keen on adult guests, to the point that you may need to put them in a kennel or shut them away in another room if they really take exception to someone.

Basically, if your choices are down to a Lab or an Anatolian, get the Lab. Anatolians are extremely different from Labs in temperament, function, and size. They aren't really a breed for the casual dog owner, nor an owner that hasn't thoroughly researched their function and temperament prior to getting one.

Another breed you could look at if you want something more protective than a Lab would be an English Shepherd. They are a general purpose farm dog.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Golden Retriever and teach wife and kids how to defend themselves with a gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one as well as a GSP. Great dog but lots of work.
If you still have questions please let me know.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top