Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 1:09:24 PM EDT
Looking for suggestions on what to feed my dag. I have been feeding them Purina Dog Chow, but with everything going on I decided to look around and found out its not that good for them. A little back story, last week I lost my ten year old Jack Russel suddenly. She was sick and loosing weight so my wife made a vet appointment for her and the next available time they had was 10:30 the next morning. She took my son to karate practice at 4:45 that night I came home at 5:10 and Bailey had passed? The vet did a autopsy and didn't find anything so we are left with questions. I still have a 2 1/2 year old Catahula leopard and I want to make sure he is getting the best food I can give him. I looked around a little and opinions vary so I figured let me ask here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Kal Kan. Its the only thing I have found that won't make my GSD sick.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
orijen regional red.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Blue Buffalo. /thread
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hookoil:
Looking for suggestions on what to feed my dag. I have been feeding them Purina Dog Chow, but with everything going on I decided to look around and found out its not that good for them. A little back story, last week I lost my ten year old Jack Russel suddenly. She was sick and loosing weight so my wife made a vet appointment for her and the next available time they had was 10:30 the next morning. She took my son to karate practice at 4:45 that night I came home at 5:10 and Bailey had passed? The vet did a autopsy and didn't find anything so we are left with questions. I still have a 2 1/2 year old Catahula leopard and I want to make sure he is getting the best food I can give him. I looked around a little and opinions vary so I figured let me ask here.
View Quote

Okay, so without trying to come off as a prick, let me tell you that the food that you're feeding (and the food that is being suggested) is certified CRAP!

You need to find a high protein, low grain diet.  I feed my pups Taste of the Wild.

Specifically, I feed them the salmon variety because my Labrador is allergic to fowl.

You can get this stuff on Amazon (Prime shipping!) for about $43
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheBlackLabrador:

Okay, so without trying to come off as a prick, let me tell you that the food that you're feeding (and the food that is being suggested) is certified CRAP!

You need to find a high protein, low grain diet.  I feed my pups Taste of the Wild.

Specifically, I feed them the salmon variety because my Labrador is allergic to fowl.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Blue Buffalo Wilderness is high protein, grain free.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I feed my Catahoulas Dr Tim's, either the Kinesis Grain Free, or the Pursuit
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Raw prey model diet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Ballsy claim, considering the orijen I recommended is rated higher than taste of wild in every single category. Taste of wild is decent food, but by no means the best available.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:09:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unauthenticated] [#10]

This is what we feed both of our dags. I think its a buck a pound.

• 4Health Performance Formula Adult (5 stars)

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Blue Buffalo is rated better then Taste of the Wild. I agree "Purina" is shit! I feel so bad I had no idea. I do research on so many things that I buy and never gave any thought to dog food. I have no idea why I never looked into it, it just never crossed my mind. I bought a bag of Taste of the Wild and my Catahoula seems to like it but I would like to try the Blue Buffalo. I think I will let him adjust to this food though before I give blue buffalo a try. Taste of the Wild is far better then that crap Purina I was feeding. My wife took him to the vets today to have him checked out  and blood work came back fine. Vet thinks he wasn't drinking water because he is depressed that his friend passed away. So hopefully all is well, I just can't believe they sell that crap food.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Been raising and training Wirehaired Pointing Griffons for many, many years. I feed active dogs Pro Plan and then back off on the protein when the dogs get older or are not so active. Puppy Pro Plan until 1 year old, then Adult.
The reason I back off on protien is that high protein foods are hard on a dog's kidneys when he isn't burning it off.
I have raised very high quality dogs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Blue Buffalo is rated better then Taste of the Wild. I agree "Purina" is shit! I feel so bad I had no idea. I do research on so many things that I buy and never gave any thought to dog food. I have no idea why I never looked into it, it just never crossed my mind. I bought a bag of Taste of the Wild and my Catahoula seems to like it but I would like to try the Blue Buffalo. I think I will let him adjust to this food though before I give blue buffalo a try. Taste of the Wild is far better then that crap Purina I was feeding. My wife took him to the vets today to have him checked out  and blood work came back fine. Vet thinks he wasn't drinking water because he is depressed that his friend passed away. So hopefully all is well, I just can't believe they sell that crap food.
View Quote

If your dog is not drinking enough water then stop feeding dry food. At the very least soak the dry food in water until it becomes soft.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#14]
We feed our dogs Canidae but have considered switching as I think it's the cause of hot spots on my American Bulldog

We've tried a lot of other brands but they don't seem to agree with his stomach. Runny poops
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#15]
My Springer Spaniel eats IAMS weight control (Blue Bag) and he is 14 years old and very healthy

He still wrestles with my Rottweiler mix that is only 4 years old
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
We feed our dogs Canidae but have considered switching as I think it's the cause of hot spots on my American Bulldog

We've tried a lot of other brands but they don't seem to agree with his stomach. Runny poops
View Quote

What is the primary protein source on Canidae? IIRC, it's chicken, and chicken allergies are definitely becoming more common. Try something like Wellness Simple Food Solutions (or switch to raw), and eliminate the chicken to see if that might be the cause of the hot spots.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Naamah:

What is the primary protein source on Canidae? IIRC, it's chicken, and chicken allergies are definitely becoming more common. Try something like Wellness Simple Food Solutions (or switch to raw), and eliminate the chicken to see if that might be the cause of the hot spots.
View All Quotes

First 3 ingredients:Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal,

They used to be on Innova but they went through 3 recalls in about as many months and all the local stores dropped them. Haven't been able to find a good replacement that agrees with him.

We do gradually move them over but still don't have good luck. I believe Innova is turkey based
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#18]

They used to be on Innova but they went through 3 recalls in about as many months and all the local stores dropped them. Haven't been able to find a good replacement that agrees with him.

We do gradually move them over but still don't have good luck. I believe Innova is turkey based
View All Quotes

Thought so. Try eliminating anything chicken and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Are there other ingredients to stay away from? I think one of the only high quality brands we haven't tried is Taste of the Wild. I don't think they offer a turkey blend but lots of other varieties. We can find them locally and online which is nice

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Are there other ingredients to stay away from? I think one of the only high quality brands we haven't tried is Taste of the Wild. I don't think they offer a turkey blend but lots of other varieties. We can find them locally and online which is nice  
View All Quotes

Wheat and corn for sure. TOTW is a decent food with several different varieties that are all grain free.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Earthborn and Orijen. I try to stay away from diamond foods (Blue Buffalo, TOTW).
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

This right here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried Taste of the Wild he wants nothing to do with it and will sneak over to the cat food when your not looking which he has never done before. I am going to try the Blue Buffalo hopefully he likes it. He loves the Blue Buffalo treats I got him and will just about stand on his head for one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I use a combo of Blue Buffalo Wilderness large breed, chicken, grain-free and Wellness Core grain-free large breed.  I go through about 50lbs a month and have it auto-shipped through Chewy.com

It costs me about $110 a  month.  A cheaper route that seems to get good reviews is a Cosco brand.  I don't remember the name though.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Run from the Purina!!

My dogs get taste of the wild, Lamb. The salmon was great for their coats but caused a noxious gas.

Tried Blue Buffalo but didnt not agree with my dag.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Dags get dag faad of course.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#27]
My dag gets a raw filler free diet from ourocal butcher.  Its got whhole raw chicken, organ meat, bone meal and something else I can't remember.  Plus he gets various veggies.  Its cheaper by the pound than the expensive grain free foods that are still mostly fillers. (1.59/#)
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Wellness Core for my GWP
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By KimberTLE45:
Earthborn and Orijen. I try to stay away from diamond foods (Blue Buffalo, TOTW).
View Quote

Us too. We are using Earthborn lately. Our dogs get the best we can afford.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Purina ProPlan.

A lot of people online poo-poo it.

But my dog's breeder feeds it (and he has trained and handled more field trial winners than most ppl have ever seen), my vet feeds and sells it, a professional upland guide that I know feeds it to his pointers, and another trainer I know feeds it.

Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I buy him Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice.  Expensive but he throws up 95% less so it's worth it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Remydog:
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Raw prey model diet.
View Quote

My cats were on the Bones and Raw Food diet. It was amazing. Pooh that didn't smell, gorgeous fur, so alert and athletic. It's amazing what the right raw diet does for an animal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Right now, Orijen Large Breed Puppy, 80% protein.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top