Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 1:10:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wag_bag]
I'm starting to consider my next dog. I grew up with Labs and Malamutes. Taught the lab to hunt when I was a kid. Currently have a small Australian cattle dog in the house. Here's the list of considerations:
I lead an extremely active lifestyle. SO is very active, as well.
I'm active duty military.
A dog the can be taught to hunt would be nice, but not essential.
The house never goes more than an hour or two without someone home.
House sits on a half acre lot.
I would like a dog that can run with me, which can be upwards of 6-8 miles a day, but 4 mile runs are more common.
No kids, but they will likely come along in the next couple years.
Dog needs to be able to obey the SO. She has the self discipline to train the dog while I'm away.
Large breed only.
In my off time, the dog will likely go everywhere with me.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

eta: When I'm away, the dog will be in charge of protecting the SO and the house.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
A Malinois would be a great running buddy for you.  Probably not a good hunter though.  Perhaps a Weimeraner.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mariner82:
A Malinois would be a great running buddy for you.  Probably not a good hunter though.  Perhaps a Weimeraner.
View Quote

The Malinois thread in GD is what prompted me to start this one. Nearly any breed can be taught to track. Hunting would be nice, but is by no means a deal breaker. I've thought about GSDs a good bit, as well. Then, there's always the Labs...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you considered a Brittany?  Very energetic, good hunter/pointer, can be trained easily.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Radiopat:
Have you considered a Brittany?  Very energetic, good hunter/pointer, can be trained easily.
View Quote

They're good hunting dogs. I know a few, personally. They're just pretty small and don't have a very good guard instinct.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wag_bag:

They're good hunting dogs. I know a few, personally. They're just pretty small and don't have a very good guard instinct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You're right there.  The Brits that I've known have been good to
alert but they're not going to be aggressive and protect.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Guess I should have stated in my OP that I want a dog that'll protect things while I'm gone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Guess I should have stated in my OP that I want a dog that'll protect things while I'm gone.
View All Quotes

Then Doberman Pinscher fits your needs like a glove, but not so much a hunter.........
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have no experience with Dobermans. I actually think it's been 15 or 20 years since I've even seen one. Definitely something to consider, though.

Beaucerons were also mentioned. I honestly don't know anything about them aside from what someone PM'd me about them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#9]
GSD.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no experience with Dobermans. I actually think it's been 15 or 20 years since I've even seen one. Definitely something to consider, though.

Beaucerons were also mentioned. I honestly don't know anything about them aside from what someone PM'd me about them.
View All Quotes

More on the Beauceron:

The Beauceron is known in France as a guard dog, a helper around the farm (herding sheep or cattle), and/or a ring sport dog (primarily protection training). This athletic, healthy and long-lived breed has been bred to be intelligent, calm, gentle, and fearless.[4] Adults are typically suspicious of strangers and are excellent natural guard dogs. On the other hand they typically take their cue from their handlers when it comes to greeting strangers, and are neither sharp nor shy. They do best when raised within the family but they can sleep outside, the better to act as guards (their weatherproof coats make them ideal kennel users even in the coldest winters). They are eager learners and can be trained to a high level. However, their physical and mental development is slow, relative to other similar breeds (e.g. German and other large shepherds): they are not mentally or physically mature until the age of about three years, so their training should not be rushed. Several five- or ten-minute play-training exercises per day in the early years can achieve better results than long or rigorous training sessions.

They are not hunters, per se, although they excel at tracking. If you're wanting to go the hunting route too, you could look at Wirehaired vizslas or Drahthaars, but they aren't going to be as good for the protector role.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, Namaah. I was reading up on all the ones mentioned so far, today. Those damn Mals look like fun. I have no doubts I could handle the dog, it's when I'm away that things might get sporting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, Namaah. I was reading up on all the ones mentioned so far, today. Those damn Mals look like fun. I have no doubts I could handle the dog, it's when I'm away that things might get sporting.
View Quote

The coonhounds I mentioned will hunt really well (depending on what it is you want to hunt), and will certainly alert you that someone's coming around, but aren't super protective. There are six different breeds of coonhounds as well, so there is a variety of looks and hunting styles, but none of them are particularly useful for bird hunting.

Bluetick

Redbone

Treeing Walker

English

Plott

Black and Tan

You might could look at Catahoula Leopard Dogs. They are popular hog hunting dogs that can also be used to tree game, and I imagine you could try training one to retrieve. They are pretty wary of people outside their pack and are able to hunt over miles and miles, so they have energy and stamina.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd suggest a Catahoula, love mine and will be picking our second next month. I hunt coyotes with mine, but they use these dogs for hunting hogs and working cattle as well as other jobs. He's all business in the field, playful at home, leary of strangers, and very protective of his family. No one comes around the house without him letting us know about it. I don't have much experience with other breeds so I can't fairly compare him against other dogs.

He really surprised me how smart they are and easy to train. I'm confident that you could teach him to retrieve if so desired. They have a lot of energy, I bring mine out everyday with a few exceptions. I was leery of getting a dog due to my inexperience, but we absolutely love our dog and are glad we got him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The SO has decided she wants a Malinois. I hadn't even brought it up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]
GSD
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Take a look at the Rhodesian Ridgeback.  As long as you don't live ion the Great Icy North, they will do fine in the rest of the weather.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Best Dog I've had is a Red Fox Lab from Beaver Dam West kennels in Kansas, or a guy named Charlie Journey in North Carolina sells the same dogs, both guys I know personally, have hunted with, shot with, and have spent a pretty good amount of time with. Whatever dog you choose, train it right early, because it can be hard to fix later.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By The_Raptor:
Best Dog I've had is a Red Fox Lab from Beaver Dam West kennels in Kansas, or a guy named Charlie Journey in North Carolina sells the same dogs, both guys I know personally, have hunted with, shot with, and have spent a pretty good amount of time with. Whatever dog you choose, train it right early, because it can be hard to fix later.
View Quote

This and not knowing the family history are the reasons I'm not looking for a rescue. I'll google Red Fox Lab in a minute.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#19]

This and not knowing the family history are the reasons I'm not looking for a rescue. I'll google Red Fox Lab in a minute.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Raptor:

All the dogs from the guys I listed all came from a field trial champion a few generations ago(dog generations). I have owned the original's grandson and the grandson's niece, which is my current dog. They aren't the biggest labs but they are super athletic, the grandson could jump a full size chain link fence, then he watched me climb it a few times and figured out how to climb out of his enclosure . But yeah for hunting dogs for sure don't rescue, but rescues can be great house dogs!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Pudel Pointer, trust me
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Being a frog, I've had the pleasure of meeting Baucerons. They were all beautiful, big, sweet, laid back, great with kids and little animals (because they were told to be) and just soooo smart.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Black lab or you're gay
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By skyshark288:
Black lab or you're gay
View Quote

You're gay. Yellow labs are best labs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Great hunting dog (very good at duck/dove), loves being active (especially anything to do with water), can easily be taught to hunt if you do your part, they can be head strong sometimes but they will listen. Chessies are very territorial over their house and their families, mine wont let anyone even near my truck, and if she hears even the slightest noise she is up and ready to go. Most all of them I've met are very weary of strangers and will try to intimidate them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheRetro1:

Great hunting dog (very good at duck/dove), loves being active (especially anything to do with water), can easily be taught to hunt if you do your part, they can be head strong sometimes but they will listen. Chessies are very territorial over their house and their families, mine wont let anyone even near my truck, and if she hears even the slightest noise she is up and ready to go. Most all of them I've met are very weary of strangers and will try to intimidate them.
View Quote

They're great dogs, but I'm looking for something a bit more athletic. I've known several Chessies. They're like labs but hard headed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330153/Heroic-golden-retriever-saves-owner-terrifying-unprovoked-gang-attack.html

our first golden retriever threw 2 rottweilers to the ground and whooped their asses for invading the protected area around our daughter
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Dogo Argentinos are awesome. They hunt wild hogs, can go head to head with a puma and win, are incredibly social, and will fight to the death to protect their families.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Dogo Argentinos are awesome. They hunt wild hogs, can go head to head with a puma and win, are incredibly social, and will fight to the death to protect their families.
View Quote

Indeed. I believe they are illegal to import, though. I know there are a couple "breeders" down in Florida breeding "pitbulls" with some Dogo in them for hunting hogs. I've seen them in action running buggies down out in the swamps. One of those 140 pound dogs in a cut vest is about the most intimidating animal I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Indeed. I believe they are illegal to import, though. I know there are a couple "breeders" down in Florida breeding "pitbulls" with some Dogo in them for hunting hogs. I've seen them in action running buggies down out in the swamps. One of those 140 pound dogs in a cut vest is about the most intimidating animal I've ever seen.
View All Quotes

Not at all illegal to import and there are several Dogo breeders in the US.

Dogo Argentino Club of America
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By coldair:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330153/Heroic-golden-retriever-saves-owner-terrifying-unprovoked-gang-attack.html

our first golden retriever threw 2 rottweilers to the ground and whooped their asses for invading the protected area around our daughter
View Quote

Golden Retriever is best retriever!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Naamah:

View All Quotes

Cool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#32]

They're great dogs, but I'm looking for something a bit more athletic. I've known several Chessies. They're like labs but hard headed.
View All Quotes

haha yea they can be that way sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:59:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: geekz0r] [#33]

View All Quotes

if you're dead set on "large breed only" but you want athletic... how about a greyhound?  Granted they're fucking couch potatoes when they're not running but they're quiet and can be very obedient and don't shed much.

so having one that obeys your SO shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#34]
My next dog willbe a drahthaar. They can hunt anything males can get into the 85 lb range.  They are athletic.  All breeders require that you have a hunting license and want you to hunt with their pups.  A large group of the breeders prefer that you test your dog in the jghv system as it helps them determine their breeding.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#35]
For a versatile big athletic dog, hard to beat an Airedale.  Great with kids, too.  Will hunt just about anything.  Tough enough to win the fight.  

Not without faults, though.  They have a digging tendency, but not terrible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:

My next dog willbe a drahthaar. They can hunt anything males can get into the 85 lb range.  They are athletic.  All breeders require that you have a hunting license and want you to hunt with their pups.  A large group of the breeders prefer that you test your dog in the jghv system as it helps them determine their breeding.
View Quote
Mine:

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Said it many times

Cur -

specifically Black Mouth Cur

or

Kemmer Mountain Cur

Pictures not mine.  I do have a Kemmer Mountain Cur  and my next will be a Black Mouth Cur
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:17:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ITSA556] [#38]
You may consider a Dutch Shepherd

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#39]

The coonhounds I mentioned will hunt really well (depending on what it is you want to hunt), and will certainly alert you that someone's coming around, but aren't super protective. There are six different breeds of coonhounds as well, so there is a variety of looks and hunting styles, but none of them are particularly useful for bird hunting.

Bluetick
http://evenstarhounds.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/evenstar_hounds_akc_bluetick_coonhound_puppies_s.jpg
Redbone
http://the-hunting-dog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/redbone-coonhound-dog-breed.jpg
Treeing Walker
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedinformation/hound/images/treeingwalker.jpg
English
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/previews/738/47395.JPG
Plott
http://static.ddmcdn.com/en-us/apl/breedselector/images/breed-selector/dogs/breeds/plott_01_lg.jpg
Black and Tan
http://www.dog.com/Breeds/images/AllBreeds/50.jpg

You might could look at Catahoula Leopard Dogs. They are popular hog hunting dogs that can also be used to tree game, and I imagine you could try training one to retrieve. They are pretty wary of people outside their pack and are able to hunt over miles and miles, so they have energy and stamina.

http://static.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/catahoula-leopard-dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/catahoula-leopard-dog-0001.jpg
View All Quotes

Bluetick
http://evenstarhounds.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/evenstar_hounds_akc_bluetick_coonhound_puppies_s.jpg
Redbone
http://the-hunting-dog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/redbone-coonhound-dog-breed.jpg
Treeing Walker
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedinformation/hound/images/treeingwalker.jpg
English
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/previews/738/47395.JPG
Plott
http://static.ddmcdn.com/en-us/apl/breedselector/images/breed-selector/dogs/breeds/plott_01_lg.jpg
Black and Tan
http://www.dog.com/Breeds/images/AllBreeds/50.jpg

http://static.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/catahoula-leopard-dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/catahoula-leopard-dog-0001.jpg

I have a walker/beagle mix that is full of energy. She is a tough dog. She survived a pretty bad attack from a Doberman over the summer. Daisy is about 1 year old now. She woke me up last night around 11pm by playing fetch with herself in the kitchen. My wife bought her some new tennis balls. She absolutely loves tennis balls.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a cattle dog.  Ex wanted a spare dog and got a malinois without considering the interaction with the cattle dog.  Malinois was dominant as hell and used my cattle dog as an attack training tool about 23 hours per day.  Had to get rid of that wife and dog.  Cattle dog is happy again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PossumKing:
I have a cattle dog.  Ex wanted a spare dog and got a malinois without considering the interaction with the cattle dog.  Malinois was dominant as hell and used my cattle dog as an attack training tool about 23 hours per day.  Had to get rid of that wife and dog.  Cattle dog is happy again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Get a Golden Retriever and a gun for protection. Teach your wife to shoot and you have now excelled in life. Best dog ever and your both able to protect yourself. He/she will alert you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Yep. I have a blackmouth/lab mix, he's only 65lbs, but he's 65lbs of solid muscle. The dog can outrun me on 5-6 mile runs at a 7min pace, and still be ready to play afterwards. He is a big lap dog who wants to play all the time and with any of our friends that come over. until he alerts to something or someone and then it's go time and he doesn't relax until I have "investigated" it to his satisfaction. He dove hunts a little too, but thats as much bird hunting as I do. Has sat in the deer blind with me multiple times and sees/realizes the deer long before I do
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hanz:
Originally Posted By Alaskagrown:
Mine:  

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/Hanzbucket/Axle%20193539/Axle1911011.jpg

Lol, doing force fetch I see!

Working on that with my GWP currently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top