Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2014 9:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IIRC]
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:17:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#1]
Garmin Alpha 100 COMBO.  You get both your e-collar and GPS in one package.

Pricey...but kind of a buy once cry once deal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the sportdog TEK  and its been good, the garmin came out  latter and its probably better,
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Alpha user here, I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a garmin. I coonhunt and I dont see how we ever hunted without them! LOL
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 12:51:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tn_Huntaholic:
View Quote

It's amazing isn't it?

Hunting dogs have been around for thousands of years...yet I have no clue how people hunted w/o GPS collars...especially you hound guys.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:50:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 41magsnub] [#6]
Yeah.  I hunt upland game in grass that is frequently 3' plus high and the dog is invisible once she stops moving.  She will be on point and I'll have no idea where she is..  not even what direction.  

It is also really cool to download her track and see where and how far we went.  Maddie ran 25 miles today chasing pheasants at an average speed of 8 mph!

She's tired.

Edit:  if you get one, do remember to lock the screen before you start walking.  I forgot today and managed to reprogram the correction buttons brushing against the screen.  The beep tone (I use for recall/check in) changed into continuous stimulation on the max setting    I felt like a complete asshole when I nailed the dog trying to turn her around when she got a little too far ahead while the guys were crossing a fence.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I feel the same. I get paranoid now going into the field without it.

It has saved my butt a few times too. I have been able to call the hound off a busy road a handful of times, and found him in a death match with a coon in a trap one night after he wasn't responding to my calls.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By beardog30:

It's amazing isn't it?

Hunting dogs have been around for thousands of years...yet I have no clue how people hunted w/o GPS collars...especially you hound guys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's amazing isn't it?

My dad is still old school, doesn't even collar his coon dogs so they don't get hung up on shit.

I could do that with my hound since he now listens so well, but with a young dog there is no way in hell.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Garmin Alpha 100 COMBO.  You get both your e-collar and GPS in one package.

Pricey...but kind of a buy once cry once deal.
View Quote

This.    Love it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad you asked OP, been looking for one as well
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the astro 320 on my beagles. Love it! Love it for more than just keeping track of them, since it's based on the garmin 62, it's a good a handheld as they come.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for the Garmin Alpha here. I really like mine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for the Alpha. Nothing can top it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Which gps/training collars have support for launchers?

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TSU45:

View Quote

None as far as I know.  Garmin doesn't and I am pretty sure sportdog does not either.  I think the idea is the GPS collar is for hunting.  If you are doing yard work, a straight e-collar that may also have the launcher functionality would be the ticket.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 41magsnub:

None as far as I know.  Garmin doesn't and I am pretty sure sportdog does not either.  I think the idea is the GPS collar is for hunting.  If you are doing yard work, a straight e-collar that may also have the launcher functionality would be the ticket.
View All Quotes

That's a bummer.  At that price point you would think an extra button or two wouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 41magsnub] [#17]

That's a bummer.  At that price point you would think an extra button or two wouldn't be an issue.
View All Quotes

Careful what you wish for, it would probably work like the garmin virb camera integration into the alpha...  not all that reliable or responsive.  It sometimes takes several button presses (or it is slow and it got the first one) before the camera gets the message to start recording.  I would be terrified that dog would get to the launcher while I was fiddling around with the remote trying to get the bird to launch.  When running with a launcher I want to be able to pop the bird in a split second, as soon as the dog starts to break on a bird.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I just bought the Garmin Astro 320 set the other day before seeing this thread. I saw the Alpha combo but didn't see a reason to get it over the Astro. Am I correct to assume the shock collar part is all I'm missing?
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Garmin Alpha 100 and the TT-10 or TT-15 is a great combo, but the Alpha has a lot of functions and only a few buttons...some find it complicated and even overwhelming to use.  I do not own one, but hunt with three different guys that use them. Two of the three have taken the prongs off the TT-10s and use a separate training collar on their dogs, using the TT10 for tracking only.  Their concern is valid...the training buttons on the Alpha 100 can be confusing and slow to use. You either have to leave the training buttons unlocked, leaving it prone to accidental presses or lock them, then have a long delay to unlock.  They prefer a separate, dedicated remote for correction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top