Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Evolution of a duck dog (Page 3 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool! Thanks for the field report. Going out in the morning with a buddy. Send em this way!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Cool! Thanks for the field report. Going out in the morning with a buddy. Send em this way!
View Quote
Knocking the shit out of them the last week or so and getting very icy.

A little chilly I would say, it was 3* at start shoot this morning

All done for the morning

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Duck season ends tomorrow, but today was Addi's last day (her buddy Sage the Chessie is going in the morning) her last 2 retrieves of the season were both banded drake mallards!  Nice end to 2016.   

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Happy 6th birthday little girl. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Just hanging out after the monster snow storm

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#7]
What state do you hunt? That's a ton of bands. We don't get near that many in Texas. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:43:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#8]
Originally Posted By newton73:
What state do you hunt? That's a ton of bands. We don't get near that many in Texas. 
View Quote
We are in western VT and eastern NY, there is a very strong banding program in the Atlantic flyway.  There are a lot more birds banded percentage wise than the other flyways.

My holy grail from last season, even though Addi did not retrieve it (Sage the Chessie did) a $100 reward band that was put on 8 years ago 200 miles north of Quebec City.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#9]
Thank alot Photofuckit for messing 6 years worth of stuff up.  I have all the pictures saved in different places, but is going to take a pile of time to get things changed out and fixed.  Nice to be able to post straight from my phone and they will stay, like the last few.    

Well I got the first post back up and running 

Finally finished    I think I only lost 2 pictures in the whole thread and now I feel like this.........

Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland] [#10]
Can still see most on this page anyway.

ETA first two pages are fubar, sorry.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
And on the eve of season 7, she has to bring her corn man toy outside 

packing the truck for the morning, she knows what is happening

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#12]
25 birds in the boat/blind over the long weekend, watching the one that landed long and got a free pass

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I finally decided that I'd been without a duck dog for too long and pulled the trigger, as it were. Meet Cutter, just shy of 4 months old in this pic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I finally decided that I'd been without a duck dog for too long and pulled the trigger, as it were. Meet Cutter, just shy of 4 months old in this pic.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/143025/cuttercamp1-301484.jpg
View Quote
Nice! Enjoy, you have a lot of work in front of you
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Little miss piggy on a field hunt Sunday 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome OP!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
Nice! Enjoy, you have a lot of work in front of you
View Quote
Don't you know it! Still dealing with the occasional pee in the house, working on sit and leash familiarization. Also steadiness at meal time. Millions of miles to go! I can only hope that this one trains as well as the last one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Duck/goose season is on, not real happy about a little down time.  Off to Saskatchewan in the morning !!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got back from SK last night and will post up some pictures of the trip.  Lots of birds around and lots of retrieves, the white geese had a fantastic hatch and made for some great shoots.

Dust storm in the background

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Sweet! I was there for the first 2 weeks of October and now I am ruined for life. So many birds and all of them dumb as rocks! We were in the Livelong/Turtle Lake area. Where did you go?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Sweet! I was there for the first 2 weeks of October and now I am ruined for life. So many birds and all of them dumb as rocks! We were in the Livelong/Turtle Lake area. Where did you go?
View Quote
It is a hell of a playground, that's for sure.  We are a couple of hours south of where you were, without giving out specific locations 
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
A little bit of work on the lake this morning, the drive is unreal!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Being able to own a duck dog is one of the coolest things! It's a lot of work but it's so awesome to watch a dog do what they were breed to do. I have a 4.5 year old black lab that if it was up to him he would never quite retrieving. If anyone is considering getting a duck dog take a look at this article. The articlegoes over some great points of having a duck dog and the training required to make a great dog.

Article: https://thewaterfowlhunter.com/waterfowl-hunting-dogs/
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]
A little chilly this morning, instant ice coming out of the water and we still have 45 days left in the season 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#25]
We're in our split closed season which doesn't open back up until the 22nd. And Murphy's Law holds true - tons of birds in the area.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#26]
Working our way to a mallard limit this morning and the last picture was the only 2 birds in the boat yesterday  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I was gone for a while. Glad to see this thread still going.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
I was gone for a while. Glad to see this thread still going.
View Quote
Was wondering where you went, welcome back!
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#29]
A couple of weeks left in the season and getting cold, put the boat in at -5* yesterday.  Funny picture from this morning, sun was on her right side and melted the ice, left side still there.....look at her eyelashes  

And I finally got a mallard that we have been hunting since close to the end of last season, we had not seen it until Thursday and got him today.  Snow white drake mallard, curl feathers included, no toe clips or markers indicating a tame bird.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#30]
The drive on retrievers is amazing, even when covered in icicles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Ho hum Dad, just another banded mallard, stop taking my picture

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Just trying out the new camera my wife got me for Christmas.  A lot more advanced than the simple point and shoot/IPhone I am used to.  Merry Christmas everyone!

<a href="https://imgur.com/Zvo2WRE"></a>

<a href="https://imgur.com/e0JyE5A"></a>

<a href="https://imgur.com/1zNjAOB"></a>
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:07:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally venturing outside as it has really not been above zero for the last week, -25 when we woke up this morning, 15* now and I think I am going to put on a pair of shorts    She lost her tennis ball in the front yard and kept rooting around for it like a pig.

<a href="https://imgur.com/zOYlvP0"></a>

<a href="https://imgur.com/KDFWbTs"></a>

[url=https://imgur.com/Mw4NK1n][/url
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Good shots. I had a retriever once that lived to root through the snow face first. Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Happy 7th birthday little girl

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Happy Birthday Addi from Central Vermont.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Time flies. Happy Birthday Addi!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
Happy 7th birthday little girl

https://i.imgur.com/0ozAHTU.jpg
View Quote
Seven is right in the prime time, pro bowl phase.  That is quite an awesome puppy you have there.  Glad you are enjoying her the way you are.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#40]
What kind of camera are you using for those shot's?  My current lab is yellow but my previous lab was black.  Every shot I ever took of her she just came out like a big black blob.  I couldn't get the highlights and details like you have in a lot of your shots.

Granted it was 8 years ago that I lost her so the point and shoot camera's of that era are probably eclipsed by a high end camera phone of today.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Auto5guy:
What kind of camera are you using for those shot's?  My current lab is yellow but my previous lab was black.  Every shot I ever took of her she just came out like a big black blob.  I couldn't get the highlights and details like you have in a lot of your shots.

Granted it was 8 years ago that I lost her so the point and shoot camera's of that era are probably eclipsed by a high end camera phone of today.
View Quote
New camera is a Panasonic FZ 70, still a "point and shoot" but has a nice lense and features, more than I will ever use.  Most of the hunting shots are just from my Iphone and cleaned up a bit on it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks so much for showing off your fuzzy buddy.  I enjoyed this thread.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks so much for showing off your fuzzy buddies. I enjoyed this thread.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Dad, I love birds but this is way too much    He was trying to sneak thru the back yard, hot tub makes great cover!

Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice beard on that bird!
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice beard on that bird!
View Quote
Yup!  it is 10", 1" spurs but only weighed 18 pounds.  He was the dominate bird in the area, but it was funny he has been hanging with another big tom since march, which my buddy shot Sunday morning.  It was 23# with an 11" beard but only 3/4" spurs, they were both standing together and I shot the "biggest" one from watching them both for 3 months.

Here they are in better times, mine is in back, heavy 6 is closer

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Taking pictures for our daughters senior prom and someone has to bring a stick into it........

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice shot. She has quite a bandanna collection.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
Nice shot. She has quite a bandanna collection.
View Quote
Yup! the girls keep her "updated"  I should start a thread on our horse....he has a lot of stuff  
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#50]
So I got to take my 1 yr old lab to a couple of HRC training days here in NH and he did great! First time he'd ever even seen a duck and he had about a millisecond pause like "What the heck is that!", fetched it up and came charging back. He's a little rough around the edges but I think he could do "Started" without a problem.

Working daily on heel, sit, stay, here, holding til released for a retrieve and casting. Started whistle sit and he's got that (except he sorta thinks it means heel and sit). About to start working on force fetch, which I've never taught before so I'm a little nervous.

Going to have a hunting buddy this fall for the first time in a couple years.
Page / 7
Evolution of a duck dog (Page 3 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top