Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2017 4:02:20 AM EDT
Hi guys, I made a video review of the Silky Big Boy 2000 XL that I'd like to share with you guys and get your thoughts on.  I personally feel in love with it.  I've used several others: Bahco, Fiskars, and some other brands you can get at home improvement stores.   Man this thing cuts through wood like a laser!  The weight isn't too bad at all considering how well it cuts.  

I've taken it backpacking and we had a ton on fun making firewood.  I used the Silky and my Junglas.   I'm sorry but I don't have that particular Silky/Junglas tag team footage in the video review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rl7DYye1kE
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:29:57 AM EDT
[#1]
SILKY BIGBOY 2000 XL: Foldable Chainsaw- Backpacking, Mountain Biking, & Camping
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks brother, I appreciate the assist!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Good video, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are packing in a long distance the folding saws rate consideration .

For shorter distances a standard bow saw is not a whole lot heavier and generally cuts way better . The key is the blade , folding saws are difficult to sharpen and replacement blades are generally pricey.

With the standard bow saws the blades are pretty cheap and available at lowes , tractor supp;y or home depot .
Sometimes the simple answer is the best
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are packing in a long distance the folding saws rate consideration .

For shorter distances a standard bow saw is not a whole lot heavier and generally cuts way better . The key is the blade , folding saws are difficult to sharpen and replacement blades are generally pricey.

With the standard bow saws the blades are pretty cheap and available at lowes , tractor supp;y or home depot .
Sometimes the simple answer is the best
View Quote
Good point!  If I had a little getaway in the mountains, I think a bow saw would be my go-to saw.  Like you said, cheap blades and readily available.  Thanks for the insight brother!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used a Sven saw and have a Stihl and Fiskars saw with a blade similar to the Silky.

I like the added reach the folding saw gives me in keeping my hands protected. I use the Stihl as my default limb saw, I pretty much don't bother with a chainsaw unless it is over 3" or there is a lot of it.

I like the looks of the Silky Big Boy and I believe I'm going to have to have one for the Jeep.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Great video!  I agree with the merits of a bow saw, but make sure you get one that is going to hold up and tension the blade properly.  There is a lot of junk out there.

The folding Silky I'm definitely going to look in to for the back pack/canoe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Great review.  liked and subscribed.  keepem coming.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice video!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've used a Sven saw and have a Stihl and Fiskars saw with a blade similar to the Silky.

I like the added reach the folding saw gives me in keeping my hands protected. I use the Stihl as my default limb saw, I pretty much don't bother with a chainsaw unless it is over 3" or there is a lot of it.

I like the looks of the Silky Big Boy and I believe I'm going to have to have one for the Jeep.
View Quote
That's a really good point that I didn't think of!  I've only used folding saws like this- silky, bahco, fiskars and some random ones around the house.  Thanks for the insight!

Quoted:
Great video!  I agree with the merits of a bow saw, but make sure you get one that is going to hold up and tension the blade properly.  There is a lot of junk out there.

View Quote
Thanks brother!  Thanks for the input

Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks brother, it's pretty fun making videos.    You can't go wrong with Silky IMO.  You'll love it!

Quoted:
Nice video!
View Quote
Thanks brother!  I appreciate that!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a medium toothed Gomboy last Christmas, just to have.  It's not a lot of cash, so I figured it was a good buy and work in a pinch.  I got a Stihl MS-170 right before Irma, but I didn't have to fire that up, so I was bummed out about not being able to test both out.

1st world problems.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep a Silky Gomboy in the soft panniers of my dirt bike.  More than once it has saved us from many mikes of backtracking when we come across a tree that has fallen across the trail where there is no way around.   They are amazing saws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top