Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 8:06:27 PM EDT
I'm looking for one, but there are so many! Teardrops, tent tops etc built on small utility trailers designed to be pulled behind small vehicles.

I'd like to have hot water and a shower/toilet setup. However, they do not necessarily need to be inside the trailer. What do you use as cover if you have both outside though?

They range from mild to wild in price, so just curious if anybody had one and can give me some pros and cons from your experiences.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the opus pop up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
We bought an Xventure XV-2 this year and have been very happy with it. Ours has dual batteries and a 90watt solar panel, 20 pound propane tank, 22 gallon water tank( + a spot for 2 water jerry cans for 10 more gallons) with an instant hot water heater for shower and kitchen sink. We put a CVT Mt. Denali summit series tent on top and a CVT shower tent next to the trailer.
Waiting to head out
Shower/bathroom tent
Messy kitchen, getting ready for lunch
Night shot

Pros: fits in the garag, no wider than the tow rig and great rearward visibility.
        The trailer stores all of our gear, so just pack the coolers and cloths and your ready to go.
        No more looking for a decent patch of ground to put up a ground tent.
        The convenience of electricity, hot and cold running water, and propane for cooking.

Cons: the only one I can think of is that set up and tear down is probably a bit longer than a regular trailer, depending if you put the annex on the tent.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a nice looking trailer! I'm looking at that one or the Turtleback Weekender.

Didn't know there was such a thing as a shower tent. Most of my camping was just a tent out in the woods, then shower a few days later. Now, I'm taking my wife with me so that crap won't fly! I think if I take my little Honda generator, my room a.c. and set up that shower, it will be as good as it gets as far as camping goes without an rv. Especially in the summer time, but I prefer camping in the winter.

Would be nice to find these things used, but they are damn hard to find that way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're going to all that trouble why not just rent a cabin near where you're wanting to hike/fish? It would be cheaper and less hassle than setting up showers and AC for "camping"
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're going to all that trouble why not just rent a cabin near where you're wanting to hike/fish? It would be cheaper and less hassle than setting up showers and AC for "camping"
View Quote
Well, we visit a few different states and the whole purpose of these things is to not need a fixed place to camp. Not sure if you've ever tried to camp in Florida at all in the summer time, but it's brutal. I cand spend a few hundred bucks on a generator and an ac and use it year round instead of just the "winter" that we have. Make sense?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't comment on how troublesome it may or may not be to set up AC when camping (I can say that it is easy to plug a fan into one of the USB ports in the tent and get some air moving when there is not a natural breeze). But the shower tent is less than 5 minutes for one person to set up or take down. It really is is not a hassle at all and still allows "camping" to be camping. Cabins can be great, but so is being able to park your set up in the middle of nowhere and still have some decent creature comforts without crowds of people.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I've spent most of the last two months touring and camping in my Aliner Sport pop-up, hard- sided (rigid roof and sidewalls, no canvas, OK/allowed in bear country campgrounds) A-frame trailer, and didn't see any other rigs that made me jealous... My little (10') trailer has the so-called "off-road" package, comprised of larger-than-standard 14" rims, and a stiffer 3,000 lb. torsion axle, providing a few inches greater ground clearance than the Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport tow vehicle. Trailer has a convertible double bed/dinette sleeping/eating arrangement, 11 gallon H2O tank, pressure/hot (DSI) H2O, small sink, two-burner LPG cooktop, forced air furnace, 3-way frig, exterior shower, and if "shore power" 110V/AC is available, air conditioning and toaster oven, otherwise  elec. provided by 100 watt roof mounted solar panel and 115amp/hour AGM battery, which is adequate in "normal" conditions. This has proved to be a reasonably comfortable rig, with standup headroom, adequate amenities, easily and economically towed, highly  maneuverable, able to follow the Tacoma 4x4 almost anywhere it reasonably can be driven, and is comfortably secure in campsites possibly invaded by bears or malicious people, who certainly would not survive an attempt at forced entry, assuming an adequately armed occupant...These trailers are offered in various sizes, configurations, and amenities, but traveling as I have been, like Ross Perot once, and now, Sen. John McCain, as "a party of one",  it's been nearly ideal equipment. Faster, by a little, I think, to set  up/tear down than tent/tarp/tables/kitchen/chairs/etc., and mostly inside, out of inclement weather, so, no waiting for wet fabrics to dry out before folding up and heading home. After  almost 8 weeks on the road, avoiding all but two ugly-weather nights in a motel, as a friend remarked ---"you've certainly got your money's worth from the trailer", and I think he's quite right...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no knowledge of Off Road Camping Trailers.

Attachment Attached File

Seriously, though, keep looking, and look at Facebook groups and the like. They are out there, and as enjoyable as building mine was, it was not cheaper than buying, especially used.

For Hot water I have a Zodi that I use periodically (but really not that often) and a shower tent.

For a toilet, I don't know if a Bear shits in the woods, but ASUsax does. I have one of those little folding chairs. When I get the new tires on the trailer (that match the Jeep so I can dump the second spare) I may consider a chemical toilet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top