Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2017 5:47:23 PM EDT
Hey guys, looking for some info on the manistee national forest.  Last yr I did a 1 night camping / hiking trip to the forest.  We parked on the side of the road and hiked maybe half mile until we found a good area to set the tent up.
     Few things I noticed was 1 we ran into a swamp that wasn't on the map. And 2, I spent days planning and plotting our route , parking spot, etc.   When we got there, it was I think private property, although the map only showed green, ( national forest lands).

I'm going back there at the end of September. Anyone ever disperse camp there? Know any spots or areas?
    I prefer the southern part of the forest, and in an area away from ppl and private property.
    Thanks as always guys.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, I haven't been there, just posting to say I'm jealous.

Been wanting to do exactly what you 're doing for a few years now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about Manistee, but from my experience with Shawnee and Mark Twain NF, the trails in national forests tend to be poorly maintained and blazings rare. So be prepared to bushwhack as necessary and carry good navigation equipment on you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've dispersed camped before and coming from the military I naturally like to make my hikes / routes challenging. I don't mind going through brush, and having to spend time finding the best site possible,

What I'm looking for is anyone that goes regularly there and has a location that would fit my goals.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, I haven't been there, just posting to say I'm jealous.

Been wanting to do exactly what you 're doing for a few years now.
View Quote
What's stopping you?    My biggest challenge is the wife.  But I give her warning far in advance etc.  I'm on furlough in late Sept and since we are going to get families house in Mexico I knew she'd let me camp for one night.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Manistee National Forest encompasses over 480,000 acres,
and together with the Huron National Forest, occupies
almost a million acres of national land in Michigan's lower peninsula.
Of course you knew that. No never been there.
Hope you have a great save trip.
While your there, might look for Chaga. I believe it grows up that way!!

Have  fun!!!

PITA45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top