Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2017 10:46:46 AM EDT
I am about to get into kayaking and while I do have numerous dry bags I would like to have an extra layer of protection.  I was recommended the Watershed line of bags. Complete newbie here so all input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Boro
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I did not know they even had WP backpacks .

Did a bunch of research this summer looking for a new large daypack, and found none of my choices were legitimately WP, just water repellent.

I ended up with a Kuiu ultra 3000.  A little on the large side for a day pack, but really the best pack I have owned to date.  Doubt it would work well in my yak, but it excels for elk hunting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:05:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Seek Outside the packs are Xpac material and roll top probably the best real back pack that is the closest to waterproof.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am about to get into kayaking and while I do have numerous dry bags I would like to have an extra layer of protection.  I was recommended the Watershed line of bags. Complete newbie here so all input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Boro
View Quote

If you truly want waterproof, it can't be a bag.  Any bags flexible surfaces can not be perfectly sealed.  Dry bags will leak due to seal problems when subject to extended periods of pressure of light submergence an/or jostling. That said their job isn't waterproof but highly resistant and generally only allow minimal amount.  Just use a hd trash bag with twist tie inside your dry bag or you can get a super sized ziplock.  Together, that would prevent water intrusion to pretty extreme conditions over/under pressure, temp, or physical assault (which usually results in overpressure or puncture).  There are screw canisters including some bear cans which are waterproof in limited conditions but more so than any bag.  A double seal case (think hard case with pressure release valves) is the most waterproof but not a bag.  Even your best general flashlight - aluminum with double O-ring seals are ip rated generally 7 - 1m submersion for 30 minutes.

Double bag with a decent plastic bag inside, what little water might leak via the dry bag won't get in in normal circumstances.  Soft bag your dry bag to protect it from sun and abrasion and you'll be fine.  Soft bags will give you looks for tie down, unless your stowing inside your yak.  Many yaks have a dry compartment, I always bag anyway in them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#5]
The surplus East German rain camo packs have a waterproof dry bag liner in them.

3 for 10$ at Sportsman's Guide.

They are a little small and the suspension is weird by they are well made and the price is right. Having a few around sure comes in handy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out Seek Outside the packs are Xpac material and roll top probably the best real back pack that is the closest to waterproof.
View Quote
I have one of these (I have the "divide").  Sealed with Seamgrip on all seams, it's basically waterproof.  There's a youtube video of a guy using one as a floatation device in his pool. 

That said, if the OP is using it for canoeing/kayaking and isn't carrying a pack further than short portages, he might be better served by a frameless pack. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I once had a Viking rubberized rucksack that fit a ALICE frame.  Thing was made for diving and had a compressed air bottle and oral inflator.  Thing sucked rucking but did keep the water out and very heavy.  I'll just stick to waterproof bags in my ruck.

CD
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You're gonna wear a backpack while paddling?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top